Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Fellow Gardeners, Aaron need some advice.

Planters, planters and yes, even more planters. The patio is becoming a maze, the yard is getting so cluttered.

So Aaron got to thinking, he could at least splice all seasonably related plants that are out of season onto one year round plant (like Sage, I think).

The pros:
    Clear up patio space
    Less time gardening on sheltered plants

The cons:
    less income per plant

The lot is too small for a full blown greenhouse to accommodate all of these plants so that's not an option.

I could reduce the out of seasons down to one plant per type, but that could still take a lot of space.

So what are your suggestions?

Also, how many of each plant type do you keep?

I have four of each type of the plants I've collected so far. In the past, I've kept only one type of each plant but with the §1,000,000 challenge, I don't want to limit Aaron too much.
  • As I collect more and more plants, I only keep the pricier ones. Time is money. I try to spend my time wisely. Sometimes the most efficient thing to do is limit gardening to make more time to do something else to make money. It seems counterproductive to spend LESS time gardening as you accumulate more skill and rewards, but that is what I do. I just garden a very select group of plants for a small portion of the day and move onto another money-making goal.

The scarecrow does do something, even if you cannot rely upon him.

I am really starting to enjoy following the journey of Aaron. I hope you keep posting!
  • I can't wait to hear what happened next!

I just had my child plant some mushrooms so that she can use them to practice cooking for free on the grill, so she can gain enough skill to cook fish on the grill. The campfire takes too long and she gets burned too often. Mushrooms are cheap and that is both good and bad. Keeping a large stockpile of them in your inventory hardly raises your taxes, but they are almost useless to sell for a profit.

With my teens, I found that I gained skills and completed aspirations quicker, when I had almost no bills. I only started trying to collect money after my teen was a supersim. Being housepoor gets in the way of skillbuilding.
  • "Katofhyrule12;c-18278902" wrote:
    As I collect more and more plants, I only keep the pricier ones. Time is money. I try to spend my time wisely. Sometimes the most efficient thing to do is limit gardening to make more time to do something else to make money. It seems counterproductive to spend LESS time gardening as you accumulate more skill and rewards, but that is what I do. I just garden a very select group of plants for a small portion of the day and move onto another money-making goal.

I am really starting to enjoy following the journey of Aaron. I hope you keep posting!

@Katofhyrule12 if you have enough satisfaction points get the "free services" reward trait. You can then hire a scheduled gardener for 0 simoleons. They'll take care of watering, weeding, etc (except weekends) & all you need to pretty much do is harvest and evolve plants.
  • "Starfree;c-18279828" wrote:
    "Katofhyrule12;c-18278902" wrote:
    As I collect more and more plants, I only keep the pricier ones. Time is money. I try to spend my time wisely. Sometimes the most efficient thing to do is limit gardening to make more time to do something else to make money. It seems counterproductive to spend LESS time gardening as you accumulate more skill and rewards, but that is what I do. I just garden a very select group of plants for a small portion of the day and move onto another money-making goal.

@Katofhyrule12 if you have enough satisfaction points get the "free services" reward trait. You can then hire a scheduled gardener for 0 simoleons. They'll take care of watering, weeding, etc (except weekends) & all you need to pretty much do is harvest and evolve plants.

That's a good point! And since Aaron is now level 10 in gardening, it will free him up to pursue other interests. But he really does enjoy gardening too. Also, Patchy the Scarecrow maintains the outside garden once you befriend.
  • "Starfree;c-18279828" wrote:
    "Katofhyrule12;c-18278902" wrote:

Interesting! I did not think of that. I have used Patchy, but I think owning him raised my taxes. Same for the bird house and rabbits. Children cannot spray for bugs, so the plants die rather quickly. A gardener hired with free services sounds perfect!

• @Isharell re trees not growing inside. If you make walls medium height or higher, then trees will grow inside in pots or ground (or outside year round ‘sheltered’ under overhanging roof). I’ve also seen the trees growing in a two storey atrium in a very impressive build with stairs and walkways surrounding the atrium with an amazing garden that was a mix of edible and decorative plants. I am currently starting an apocalyptic challenge, living completely underground with a glass roof to some of the complex and medium height walls. Using no mods in the game, I have an apple tree growing because you start with just one of each (fruit, vegetables and herbs) of the seed starter packs as well as one insect or bee hive.
    Isharell
    New Spectator
    "brizgal;c-18280682" wrote:
    @Isharell re trees not growing inside. If you make walls medium height or higher, then trees will grow inside in pots or ground (or outside year round ‘sheltered’ under overhanging roof). I’ve also seen the trees growing in a two storey atrium in a very impressive build with stairs and walkways surrounding the atrium with an amazing garden that was a mix of edible and decorative plants. I am currently starting an apocalyptic challenge, living completely underground with a glass roof to some of the complex and medium height walls. Using no mods in the game, I have an apple tree growing because you start with just one of each (fruit, vegetables and herbs) of the seed starter packs as well as one insect or bee hive.

@brizgal I'll try raising the walls before I plant next time. The issue I had a couple of years ago was they would not germinate indoors. I had to move the planter outside in order to actually plant the tree. once it had started growing I moved it indoors. Now that I am really thinking about it, I did have to raise the walls - thanks for the reminder! :)
  • I garden indoors, on the top floor of the house. Just windows all around, no glass roof. And the walls are tall for trees.
  • "Katofhyrule12;c-18278902" wrote:

I posted some suspicious activity in the §1,000,000 challenge thread. Something strange is happening.
  • ??? You’re very welcome ??? There is so much in sims, that it is very easy to forget something you already knew because you are busy discovering new things from new releases or simply haven’t used something for a while. I do it all the time. ?

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.

33,116 PostsLatest Activity: 20 minutes ago