Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Free Laptop?

I literally just made a new sim in a new save file and went to the library to use a computer and after a little bit he automatically queued up the action (on his own accord) to use a portable laptop on a picnic table outside the library. I didn't buy him a laptop so like where did it come from? He pulled it out of thin air. It wasn't just abandoned at the table.
  • Hm, envious. My sim found a tablet thing in a park, can use it but not keep it because it says he is not the owner.
    DaWaterRat
    Seasoned Adventurer
    "Hoverael;c-17366423" wrote:
    I've seen other sims frequently use laptops in the game when away from home where it is permitted by the game on specific lots. I often wonder why none of my sims have access to such a thing, not that it matters much.

From what i can tell the laptop in use by other sims is locked behind a high level requirement in one of the careers. I wonder if all sims have that capability to carry around a laptop? much the same way this game automatically gives every non-played sim an umbrella with seasons installed?

The base game laptop (as opposed to the one from Strangerville) is from the freelance writer career, I believe. You get it the first time you max out the performance meter.

I've been surprised by sims using a phantom laptop autonomously as well. Usually only on park or library lots. First time I noticed it was the last time I played through Strangerville - so I'm guessing it's something with a recent patch. Maybe with University.

I do know that (usually) if I take a laptop out of a sim's personal inventory and put it somewhere, the game will return it to my sim if I leave the lot. (I picked one up for my sim the first time I played the Detective Career just so that he could have a computer of his own, since all the ones in the office were occupied.)
  • I highly recommend this mod by LittleMsSam! Claiming items so they don't leave them all over the place. They put it back it their inventory when not using it.. Also can claim items that only one person or several of your choice can use if you want.

Personal Objects (Computer, Tablets & more) LittleMsSam's Sims 4 Mod Claim Items)

I've started using it. It puts up more options when you click on items, but after a day or two I got used to it.
    It won't stop you from getting "free" stuff, but it will stop your Sim's from losing stuff by leaving it in random places.
  • my sim got random free easel from somewhere and now idk how to get rid of it since i have no idea where it came from and I can't sell it
  • I don't mind this in the University town, or libraries, and it makes sense that some NPCs would carry laptops. My Sim has lost a few laptops, so now he leaves it at home.