Forum Discussion

JamesDeanSQ
New Novice
4 years ago

Give Sims Accents!

After the release of Journey To Batuu, I was wondering why they've never recorded Simlish in different accents. Rey has her signature British accent so why could they have not included that as an option in CAS? I think that would be a fantastic addition to a life simulator but I'm sure they would never spend the money to record multiple actors just in different accents.

What do you guys think?
  • I'm not 100% sure but I would say it's not part of the game, because of the cost to hire different voice actors to do them all.
  • Theres a mod I like . You set your sims native language and you can skill yourself in other simlish languages across different sim worlds.

https://simscommunity.info/2020/11/22/the-sims-4-language-barriers-mod/

CAPTAIN_NXR7
    Seasoned Hotshot
    I agree with @Chicklet453681
    It’s too expensive to keep hiring all these actors. JtB was an exception due the brand involved. The simmified Star Wars movie characters needed to have a unique voice to match their life action counterparts and keep the player immersed in the world of Batuu. It doesn’t make sense for them to speak like every other sim in the world.
    Since they’re incidental characters, also note that the studio recorded the lines necessary for this pack only. They’re vocal library is incomplete: there are actually a heap of simlish lines and reactions missing from Rey’s and Hondo’s voice.

I personally would love more accents and different voice styles added to the existing ones. But there’s a reason there are only 3 male, 3 female and 2 kiddie voices available to us (and toddle things). These are 8 actors that need to get paid for every single line in simlish for every new pack or updated content that includes speech or reactions. This is a ginormous list of sounds. It’s not only the actors who need to get paid, but the voice director, the sound engineers and sound mixers are also added to that list.

The kind of budget needed for even one additional and complete accent would be pretty steep and could be used for gameplay instead.
  • "Chicklet453681;c-17787442" wrote:
    I'm not 100% sure but I would say it's not part of the game, because of the cost to hire different voice actors to do them all.

Some voice actors already possess the ability to take on differing accents. James Montgomery Doohan was American with an American accent, yet he pulled off a fantastic Scottish brogue when he played Scotty on the original Star Trek. So, if EA were to decide to do such, they would just have to screen the number of voice actors they need to see how many of them can do other accents. Not only that, but Angela Lansbury is British. I had no idea even after watching Murder, She Wrote from the beginning. She pulls off American rather well. It would be fun to have Sims with a different accent. Add a little more flavor to this game.
    CAPTAIN_NXR7
    Seasoned Hotshot
    "GalacticGal;c-17788162" wrote:
    "Chicklet453681;c-17787442" wrote:
    I'm not 100% sure but I would say it's not part of the game, because of the cost to hire different voice actors to do them all.

Some voice actors already possess the ability to take on differing accents. James Montgomery Doohan was American with an American accent, yet he pulled off a fantastic Scottish brogue when he played Scotty on the original Star Trek. So, if EA were to decide to do such, they would just have to screen the number of voice actors they need to see how many of them can do other accents. Not only that, but Angela Lansbury is British. I had no idea even after watching Murder, She Wrote from the beginning. She pulls off American rather well. It would be fun to have Sims with a different accent. Add a little more flavor to this game.

The company would still need to hire the actor ( and sound professionals) for the additional time it takes to do all the other accents. EA will end up paying for extra studio time regardless.
  • I've been wanting this too. Anything new and different from the six that we already have would be awesome, and it doesn't necessarily have to be based on real life accents.
  • This kind of links to having different languages in the sims which is an idea that I really like! It would sort of show that tourist feeling when you go to other countries and have to learn key phrases for what to say to people working in shops or out in public.