Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Growing Together Adoption

I know we could already adopt as care dependent but this pack is suppose to have a new feature that allows you to adopt a child and get a birth certificate. I want to put the baby up for adoption (which I know we can’t do) so if I add a non family member in the home, can they adopt the baby? Do they have to have a relationship with parent or baby in order for this to happen?
    amapola76
    New Adventurer
    "lovemy4s;d-1007532" wrote:
    I know we could already adopt as care dependent but this pack is suppose to have a new feature that allows you to adopt a child and get a birth certificate. I want to put the baby up for adoption (which I know we can’t do) so if I add a non family member in the home, can they adopt the baby? Do they have to have a relationship with parent or baby in order for this to happen?

You should also be able to set up the non-family member in their own household, then go into manage households and just transfer the baby into the new household.
    evilyn_37
    New Adventurer
    I just tried it out. And your sim is able to adopt the child sim.

If your sim is the opposite gender to the original parent then they will still still be the other parent. So a random male sim was able to become the father of my female sims child.

But if you are single mother, and then you have a female sim adopt a child it will override that parent. So in the family tree the adopted parent is now the new parent. But under the relationship panel, the bio parent will still show up as mother.

• "itsTheSimsGuy;c-18256309" wrote:

I’m confused. He/she means the actual adoption feature in a computer not the “adopt as care dependent” - that has nothing to do with actual adoption, that just basically gives permission to other sims to care for a baby-infant-toddler.

There was already adoption through the computer, but it was just randomly generated kids. The OP is referring to the new feature in Growing Together where you can just click on a child like a normal interaction with them and "adopt child" is a new option. No prior relationship needed. The child is instantly adopted and the adoptive parent pulls out an adoption certificate and looks at it, but doesn't seem like you actually get the certificate. I've checked in the personal and household inventory and nothing. I also checked through the mailbox, the phone options and on the computer and nothing there either.
  • "itsTheSimsGuy;c-18257993" wrote:
    That’s not new to GT. that came with parent hood. “Adopt as care dependant” has been the game a while now. Hence my confusion.

"Adopt as care dependent" is a different interaction than the new adopt feature. "Adopt as care dependent" will have the sim take care of that child, but the parentage is not changed in the child sim's family tree. With "adopt" the new adoptive parent will replace or fill the place of the other parent not in the household with the child. I hope that makes sense...
  • "itsTheSimsGuy;c-18257993" wrote:
    "JimG72;c-18257119" wrote:

There was already adoption through the computer, but it was just randomly generated kids. The OP is referring to the new feature in Growing Together where you can just click on a child like a normal interaction with them and "adopt child" is a new option. No prior relationship needed. The child is instantly adopted and the adoptive parent pulls out an adoption certificate and looks at it, but doesn't seem like you actually get the certificate. I've checked in the personal and household inventory and nothing. I also checked through the mailbox, the phone options and on the computer and nothing there either.

That’s not new to GT. that came with parent hood. “Adopt as care dependant” has been the game a while now. Hence my confusion.

The interaction to directly adopt any child in the game through an interaction with them is definitely new and came out either with Growing Together or as part of the related Infants update. It was billed by devs as one of the new features of the pack and this is what the OP was asking about:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52828482743_e01c0cdc58_z.jpg
    SEREFRAS
    Seasoned Hotshot
    Is it possible now, for a spouse to adopt her husband's Alien baby? :)
  • "Evilyn_1007;c-18254078" wrote:
    I just tried it out. And your sim is able to adopt the child sim.

If your sim is the opposite gender to the original parent then they will still still be the other parent. So a random male sim was able to become the father of my female sims child.

But if you are single mother, and then you have a female sim adopt a child it will override that parent. So in the family tree the adopted parent is now the new parent. But under the relationship panel, the bio parent will still show up as mother.

I’m confused. He/she means the actual adoption feature in a computer not the “adopt as care dependent” - that has nothing to do with actual adoption, that just basically gives permission to other sims to care for a baby-infant-toddler.
  • You can adopt any kid you can interact with in Growing Together, from what I've seen. Might have been the infant update, not sure - computer no longer required.
  • "JimG72;c-18257119" wrote:
    "itsTheSimsGuy;c-18256309" wrote: