Forum Discussion

Simmerville
Seasoned Ace
6 years ago

House decorations driving me nuts

They are just getting too much. Playing one house is fine, then you have control, but when rotating or visiting other lots the decorations rarely show as intended. Say if I visit a lot on 4th day of Spring, the Winterfest decor may still be up. If game had removed stuff the day after the holiday, it would be so much better.

Also, the decor is way too much! I don't mind the active house to decorate every possible build aspect, but it looks very strange when visiting a lot and hedges as well as fences are all covered with decor. Even the temple in Selvadorada was highly decorated with lights and banner on my last visit! That is so ruining the experience - not only is the temple obviously not so secret, but they even got electricity there! :open_mouth:

On my farms the fields are often enclosed with a rural fence. It's such a turn down seeing holiday decor on those fences! Not a single farmer in the entire world would do that! And on the green hedges... it looks totally wrong seeing banners and lights on all green hedges!

So - this has to be dealt with! The seasonal stuff and holidays are such great additions to the game, but the decor ruins so much of it. It's a pity needing to cancel all holidays because of this.

If it can't be fixed, at least include a decor option with no decor, it would help if we could select the no-decor option at least for fences/hedges, although I hate thinking of needing to visit every single lot to do this, not even sure if it can be done on community lots. I think this would work better if default was no decor at all, and then we could actively add decor options to each lot we wanted decorated. Personally I'd skip all community lots.
  • I also hate community lot decor. Exploring the jungle in Selvadorada shouldn't come up with Winterfest lights lol.
    Kathykins
    Seasoned Newcomer
    I live in a country where decorating our houses is NOT a thing. Very very few people actually do it, just pulling a number here but like 1 in 100? What we see is mostly for christmas, with maybe some outdoor lighting on trees (usually pine or spruce), a wreath on the door...things like that. We don't decorate fences and foundations or the house itself.

I think most house decoration in game is unsightly, and will use the same few pieces on every house, like white lights/icicles for everything.

And wow did the decoration on the Selvadorada temple annoy me! I mean.....why?! Nobody is supposed to know where it is, did the Guardians decorate, and where did they hide the generator?? We've searched the temple, and found no such thing! :#

Decoration on community lots need to be removed when the holiday is over, at 2am. It shouldn't linger after that, looks really out of place, and quite off-putting.
  • I think the decorations should be limited to just homes but even then I still think they're way over the top and not needed quite so much. They completely ruin the look and feel of community lots most of the time.
  • "Simmerville;d-960686" wrote:
    They are just getting too much. Playing one house is fine, then you have control, but when rotating or visiting other lots the decorations rarely show as intended. Say if I visit a lot on 4th day of Spring, the Winterfest decor may still be up. If game had removed stuff the day after the holiday, it would be so much better.

Also, the decor is way too much! I don't mind the active house to decorate every possible build aspect, but it looks very strange when visiting a lot and hedges as well as fences are all covered with decor. Even the temple in Selvadorada was highly decorated with lights and banner on my last visit! That is so ruining the experience - not only is the temple obviously not so secret, but they even got electricity there! :open_mouth:

On my farms the fields are often enclosed with a rural fence. It's such a turn down seeing holiday decor on those fences! Not a single farmer in the entire world would do that! And on the green hedges... it looks totally wrong seeing banners and lights on all green hedges!

So - this has to be dealt with! The seasonal stuff and holidays are such great additions to the game, but the decor ruins so much of it. It's a pity needing to cancel all holidays because of this.

If it can't be fixed, at least include a decor option with no decor, it would help if we could select the no-decor option at least for fences/hedges, although I hate thinking of needing to visit every single lot to do this, not even sure if it can be done on community lots. I think this would work better if default was no decor at all, and then we could actively add decor options to each lot we wanted decorated. Personally I'd skip all community lots.

You can edit any holiday before it starts and change the decor theme to "no theme" in the upper right hand corner of the dialogue window. This will prevent any of the houses in your neighborhood from putting up decorations on holidays(ETA: You can still decorate your active house though with the box stack). You have to do it holiday by holiday as they come up on the calendar, and you can't edit a holiday once it starts, but once you do it the holiday will remain decor free in that save every time it rolls up from then on unless you change it back.

To remove leftover decor I create a holiday the day after say Winterfest I generally call it "clean up day". I don't set any traditions, I don't set it for a day off school or work, and then I set the decor theme to "no theme" and the next morning my neighborhood is decor free.

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.33,034 PostsLatest Activity: 18 minutes ago