Forum Discussion

4 years ago

How do you feel about the "Opposite Attracted" sentiment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqB2IIWhys8

I was watching this video by ironseagull, and I noticed this sentiment for the first time. But I don't feel cool about it. Like, in my experience, opposites don't attract when it comes to dating, and even in Sims 3 if two sims had opposing traits, it would be harder for them to get together, not easier. I'm really concerned about this sentiment.

Edit: In real life there are some people who like more challenging romantic interests, and some people who seek for people that are completely different than they are, so to me it would be ok if it wasn't something every sim could achieve, like if this was a perk/quirk/advantage of a trait. maybe adventurous (for those sims who like a challenge), or seducer (for those flirty sims who don't want any barriers when dating)... etc.
  • I don't know how I feel about sentiments in general. I've been watching some videos on them and they look really good but then I read on here things that make them seem less good and now I'm a bit lost with how to feel about them. I guess I will make my mind up when playing them.
  • "SERVERFRA;c-17713197" wrote:
    I would love my Vampire/Spellcaster couples to be more opposites attract & still be committed to each other.

Yes!!!! 100%, but I would want them to actually have a system for hybrid babies. I wouldn’t want the option to make hybrids in CAS, but I think having them in game would be a unique and cool thing that could happen. Hybrid offsprings are literally broken right now. God forbid a male vampire gets abducted by aliens and pregnant. I heard it can even cause game corruption.
  • That's just weird, I always coupled my Sims who are Slob with a neat one, grumpy with excitable, brave with a coward.

Opposite attraction could work only for certain traits but not to all of them, for example good Sims and evil sims doesn't work in relationship or proper and inappropriate as well and that I agree.
  • I believe that opposite can attract and people that are very similar to each other in personality can not get on that well aswell in real life, it's all depends ?, I'm excited too learn more about sentiments, its definitely a good start
  • "netney52;c-17714830" wrote:
    I don’t see what the issue is. Opposites attract in real life whether that is friendships, romantic relationships, work relationships etc. If anything it adds more realism to the game a lot of simmers ask for.

I feel the same. It can be challenge to deal with opposite traits and a fun way to have different Sims in one household.
  • It's ok. If you make opposite sims date each other it's nice that they recognise it.

And Sims 4 does have memories since the base game. It's very inconvinient to use and most players don't know it exist, but it does have memories. How it works - you make a screenshot, go to sreenshots and turn a screenshot into memory. You can select whose memory it is. The game can tell if i is a happy memory or flirty or angry.

What memories really need is the ability to filter memories by sim. Than it would work fine.
  • Not concerned at all. Maybe there is a way to turn them off in 'game options'.
  • I'm pretty sure that sentiment only occurs if you make opposite sims be romantic first.
  • Ooh I get what you mean now, no i dont think for an example evil and good sim would go well together and a family oriented sim and a hates children sim would go well together, however sims in the sims 4 dont flirt autonomously unless your sim does it first, I agree with @Simtown15
  • "Karon;d-983213" wrote:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqB2IIWhys8

I was watching this video by ironseagull, and I noticed this sentiment for the first time. But I don't feel cool about it. Like, in my experience, opposites don't attract when it comes to dating, and even in Sims 3 if two sims had opposing traits, it would be harder for them to get together, not easier. I'm really concerned about this sentiment.

Edit: In real life there are some people who like more challenging romantic interests, and some people who seek for people that are completely different than they are, so to me it would be ok if it wasn't something every sim could achieve, like if this was a perk/quirk/advantage of a trait. maybe adventurous (for those sims who like a challenge), or seducer (for those flirty sims who don't want any barriers when dating)... etc.

We've already got that in game -- just look at Bob and Eliza Pancakes and their traits.

Several saves ago, I did an experiment. I played the two of them long enough to get them in a bad relationship, then divorced them. I moved them out of the family home into different worlds (Bob, IIRC, was in Oasis Springs and Eliza was in a nice little cottage in Windenburg) and then played my other family to see whom MCCC would pair them with; I turned on marriage notifications so I could keep track of them.

MCCC married them to each other.

Can't stop fate, I guess. B)