Forum Discussion

leo3487
Seasoned Newcomer
4 years ago

How many electric power need?

How many wind turbines and solar panels need to power a computer and a stove, and refrigerator?
    Kathykins
    Seasoned Newcomer
    Apparently a LOT. I think all of those are 10 power consumption? My GUESS is you then need turbines/solar power to cover 30 power consumption, and I think they are 2-3 EACH...so 10 minimum. I'd place the ones for the roof, they never break.
    Sketch793
    Rising Hotshot
    I don't think there's any way to know other than experimenting until you find the right number.

The number in an object's stats is not the power consumption, it's the power consumption RATING. 10 is the best rating, meaning that object uses the lowest power for objects of its type.
  • I am not completely sure on this but my sims were living off the grid and used wind turbines and solar panels. I switched the solar panels to face the direction of the sun (and added more) and then the power worked much better. Might be to do with in game sunlight levels?
  • "leo3487;d-985505" wrote:
    How many wind turbines and solar panels need to power a computer and a stove, and refrigerator?

Too many. I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but they use small motors inside those turbines to turn the blades. I kid you not. Hubby has been inside a few with his job. I was gobsmacked. (This is all to make it looks as if they work.)
    RouenSims
    Seasoned Rookie
    "smilepanda;c-17764884" wrote:
    I am not completely sure on this but my sims were living off the grid and used wind turbines and solar panels. I switched the solar panels to face the direction of the sun (and added more) and then the power worked much better. Might be to do with in game sunlight levels?

I tried using them in the snowy part of Mount Komorebi, and they didn’t work at all. When I moved my Sim to Selvadorada, they worked great. I think it’s cool that the game is so realistic that way.
    Kathykins
    Seasoned Newcomer
    So it all depends where your sim lives, then. Solar panels would be great in Sulani, but pretty useless in Brindleton Bay, as an example.

"Sketch793;c-17764735" wrote:
    I don't think there's any way to know other than experimenting until you find the right number.

The number in an object's stats is not the power consumption, it's the power consumption RATING. 10 is the best rating, meaning that object uses the lowest power for objects of its type.

I had no idea what the "rating" part meant, there is little to no explanation in game. As usual one has to seek info from outside sources, apparently. I always thought objects with a rating of 10 used MORE power than objects with a rating of, lets say, 4. We probably have a different rating system where I live.
  • I use 1 turbine and 1 solar panel; also use the Geothermal lot trait. This gives me plenty of power & I end up selling a good bit every so often.
    Sketch793
    Rising Hotshot
    "Kathykins;c-17765199" wrote:
    I had no idea what the "rating" part meant, there is little to no explanation in game. As usual one has to seek info from outside sources, apparently. I always thought objects with a rating of 10 used MORE power than objects with a rating of, lets say, 4. We probably have a different rating system where I live.

Yeah, sometimes the game really does a poor job of explaining itself. It was even worse when the beds, couches, and chairs had an Uncomfortable rating to show how comfortable they were. :smile: