Forum Discussion

FatTribble23
Seasoned Traveler
3 years ago

I need advice on updating SOLVED

I still haven't updated my game for the second February patch which came out the same day as the wedding pack, last Wednesday the 23rd, I believe. I've heard so many reports of crashing and lag that I'm literally afraid of updating. I'm sure there will be packs in the future that I will want, and I really miss the gallery. Have those of you who had problems with crash/lag fixed those issues? If so would you please share with me what you did? Mods are absolutely okay to recommend. Thanks.
  • I was really scared of messing up my game with a lag and crashes. Luckily I didn't have any crashes or lag. I just started adding my CC back and my food mods are good and still no issues. Which mods do you have? I can see if I have them and put them back in my game and check

If you do install an update, can you uninstall them? I've never tried .. although I guess you could just reset your whole computer to the day before the update. I've had to do that many times when automatic Windows updates messed up my PC. Although I'm sure there's an easier way to undo the update..
  • I don't know of a way to roll back automatically after you have updated your game. What I do is keep a backup copy of the entire game directory. If I ever have a problem with an update I can then set Origin to be offline and copy the entire backup over the top of the current install in order to roll the game back.
    It takes a lot of drive space though. :lol:
    FatTribble23
    Seasoned Traveler
    Thank you for commenting @Elliandre I have way too many mods to list LOL. We'd be here all night - just checked, mod folder is 2.5g. Not as bad as some I've seen but a lotta mods, yeah.

According to a guru on EA Answers, there is no way to uninstall an update. I suppose a system restore back to an earlier point would do it, but I hate to do that. Thanks for letting me know your update went okay, though. I hope it works with all your mods. FWIW, I've been keeping up with the broken/updated mods thread by Luthienrising and neither of the 2 updates in February seem to have affected very many mods.
    FatTribble23
    Seasoned Traveler
    "Stormkeep;c-18071824" wrote:
    I don't know of a way to roll back automatically after you have updated your game. What I do is keep a backup copy of the entire game directory. If I ever have a problem with an update I can then set Origin to be offline and copy the entire backup over the top of the current install in order to roll the game back.
    It takes a lot of drive space though. :lol:

I imagine it does LOL. I'd probably just do a system restore hehe.
    SilentK008
    Seasoned Newcomer
    I have updated to the latest patch and I am currently going through the mods. Well, just one person :)

Ohh… grab mods to make weddings work that are tied to this patch before hiding offline.
  • If you are worried, and obviously you are, hence your post, make a back-up of your saves file. I make a copy of mine and place it on my desktop. Then, after you've updated, if your game goes wonky, when played vanilla, you have a copy of your saves. So far, so good in my game. I'm already playing a risky save, as I kept the Road to Fame mod in my Mods folder, even after I returned the Mods folder to my game. I only created this save to be able to try out the My Wedding Stories pack, so if it breaks I won't cry. I simply won't touch my on-going save with the same Sims, until RTF has been updated. If I lose thatsave, I will cry.
    FatTribble23
    Seasoned Traveler
    @SilentKitty
    "SilentKitty;c-18072140" wrote:
    I have updated to the latest patch and I am currently going through the mods. Well, just one person :)

Ohh… grab mods to make weddings work that are tied to this patch before hiding offline.

Hi, I don't actually have the wedding pack, nor am I going to buy it until it goes on sale, and only then if the bugs have been fixed. Goodness, what a mess!

"GalacticGal;c-18072165" wrote:
    If you are worried, and obviously you are, hence your post, make a back-up of your saves file. I make a copy of mine and place it on my desktop. Then, after you've updated, if your game goes wonky, when played vanilla, you have a copy of your saves. So far, so good in my game. I'm already playing a risky save, as I kept the Road to Fame mod in my Mods folder, even after I returned the Mods folder to my game. I only created this save to be able to try out the My Wedding Stories pack, so if it breaks I won't cry. I simply won't touch my on-going save with the same Sims, until RTF has been updated. If I lose thatsave, I will cry.

@GalacticGal Hi, I make a backup of my most recent save every time I shut my game down for the day/night LOL. A little excessive maybe but I prefer safe to sorry.

Thanks for the input everyone I'm going to hold off updating until I absolutely have to. Maybe being deprived of the gallery will be the thing that finally forces me to learn to build haha.

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.33,037 PostsLatest Activity: 4 hours ago