Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Laundry Room Placement

Before I place this in the Tech issues room, is anyone able to create a laundry room in the basement? I was able to create one, but then it tells me there are no available washers on the lot if I try to wash clothes. Move it to the first floor kitchen, and everything is fine.
  • In houses I've lived in Australia, the laundries have always been at the end of the house that the main bathroom and children/spare bedrooms would be. Usually with back or side access to outside and a clothesline.
  • > @j3n1yn said:
    > I have a laundry room in a basement. I had a shelf above the washer and dryer that prevented me from using them. Moved that and now it is working.

Ah that fixed it. Thanks!
  • "BabySquare;c-16268280" wrote:
    Seeing the dilemma you're facing I thought I'd just pop in to blow everyone's minds;
    In the UK we normally have our washers and dryers in the kitchen.

Live in the US. First house growin up, laudry room was in the basement, pretty much the mud room for the garage entrance into the house. Second home, same deal, only it was on the first floor off the side of the kitchen. My current home is only 1300sqft, so the laundry is in a closet that's in the kitchen. My water heater is there as well.

On another note, it's pretty lame that (in-game) the front facing washer can't be used b/c of an object ABOVE it. Could that be fixed in a future patch? I'm not tech savvy, so I can't even begin to speculate how that programming/animation/whatever works.
  • "EnkiSchmidt;c-16268381" wrote:
    "BabySquare;c-16268324" wrote:
    "EnkiSchmidt;c-16268305" wrote:
    "BabySquare;c-16268280" wrote:
    Seeing the dilemma you're facing I thought I'd just pop in to blow everyone's minds;

In my childhood we had the washing machine in the kitchen, too (it was a large live-in kitchen). The basement was where the uge cauldrons for cooking the laundry stood and you had to reserve the key to that basement "washhouse" in advance. Nowadays one's supposed to have the washer in the bathroom. Still SO not used to that concept, lol.

Do you mind me asking which country you were in when you had the washing machine in the kitchen? I'm now super-interested in how homes in different countries organise their laundry-doing.

Oops, sorry. That was in East Germany (but probably an all-german thing). I also remember my parents tell of dedicated washhouses in the interior yard for use for the residents of the surrounding houses, but only ever saw re-purposed shells/foundations of those. Our basement washhouse was for our house only and it was accesable through the basement where the individual families' cellars were and through the interior yard alike. I'm trying to remember how long it was in use before we got a "Waschvollautomat" (full-washing-machine) in the kitchen that was capable of cooking laundry... the early eighties, I think? We were one of the last families in the house to buy a modern washing machine, since my gran was very suspicious when it came to technology.

That was interesting to read, thanks! :)
  • "BabySquare;c-16268280" wrote:

I live in Oregon, US, in a house built in the 1970s... and our washer and dryer are in the (very large) kitchen, with flimsy folding doors that go across the little nook they live in. I like it that way. And I've always loved the placement of washers in the UK. It seemed efficient to me.
  • "starrling33;c-16270105" wrote:
    "BabySquare;c-16268280" wrote:

I live in Oregon, US, in a house built in the 1970s... and our washer and dryer are in the (very large) kitchen, with flimsy folding doors that go across the little nook they live in. I like it that way. And I've always loved the placement of washers in the UK. It seemed efficient to me.

I see; so while it's technically in the kitchen, because it has its own nook it creates the impression that it's in a separate space?

Our kitchens, along with the rest of our houses are quite small - if they were a sim house they'd usually average a 15x20 lot size. Our washing machine is between the kitchen sink and the door out to the back garden.
  • "Dannydanbo;c-16270131" wrote:
    You don't hide the stove or fridge in closets.

You could try.
    If you wanted it bad enough.
  • Just came in to check if anyone else is having problems with placing shelves above the washer. Glad to see that isn't just me lol That's really lame that the shelves can't be over the washer and dryer :(
  • The house I grew up in was one story and had the washer and dryer in the garage. The condos and homes I've been looking at all have them in the hallway on the level where the bedrooms are. If it's a three-story condo, this makes perfect sense. For two-story homes, newer ones will have them on the second floor but older ones will still have them in the garage.