Forum Discussion

EmmaVane
Rising Hotshot
2 years ago

Lot Challenges/Lot Traits - How do you use yours?

So I'm currently setting up for a BACC style save to force myself to actually build up the worlds for once.

I decided to assign 2 lot challenges to each lot, on a world-by-world basis.

So far my plan is:

• Willow Creek - Spooky/Cursed (based on New Orleans hauntings/voodoo)
  • Oasis Springs - Filthy/? (I figure all that sand/dust will get everywhere. Not sure what else to pick here, though)
  • Newcrest - Reduce & Recycle/Simple Living (this neighbourhood has fishing ponds/grills/edible plants and is a new development area so would likely encourage eco living)
  • Sulani - Volcanic Activity/OTG (they would have to make own power locally and the volcano could shoot lava bombs further than that one lot)
  • Forgotten Hollow - Spooky/Creepy Crawlies (it needs ghosts and bats & bugs seem appropriate with Vamps and Mosquito Traps)
  • Del Sol Valley - Quake Zone/Reduce & Recycle (Based on San Andreas fault and hippy California)
  • StrangerVille - Filthy/Gremlins (dust everywhere and vines/strange weather breaking plumbing/electronics)
  • Henford-on-Bagley - Wild Foxes/Simple Living (might change Wild Foxes to something else in the town, though)

Any other ideas? I might also adjust per zone in towns where the zones vary a lot from each other, such as in San Myshuno and Windenburg.

If you manually pick them... Do you guys pick lot challenges/traits this way? Do you base it on whatever you build/the sims that live there?

If you randomise... Do you use the one off randomiser in the UI? Do you randomise periodically either manually or with MCCCs function?
  • its mostly by sims that are living there/what I am doing at the moment

but I do have Volcanic Activity in Mua Pel'am all lots and the village too for residential lots

did not add it in Lani St.Taz because I assigned that as like tourist spot where tourist don't get too into the island culture to notice the effects of their littering

and I usually have simple living for most of my families because it just feels realistic to have them buy food n stuff

don't really like to use fox one in more than one or two spots since it generates lots of foxes but basically thinking like mt.komorebi has this kitsune family of mine and then maybe like sometimes use it on henford lot I am playing n such

use quake zone in same areas as volcanic activity

don't really recall using much of other lot challenges but they just don't really apply in lifestyle of sims ive been playing so far or are kinda meh cause i can get say ghosts via other means n such maybe in future

for traits

don't really use skill boost ones anymore cause the effects get in way of my screenshots and sometimes i don't feel like turning off all headline effects cause of it

private dwelling when really desperate but it doesn't really help so much

on ley line ones when i feel like i really really really want sims to have twins or triplets for some reason

vampire lair i think vlads got it and idk i actually haven't dig my claws into many of the vampire premades yet cause i always end up playing vlad maybe once i get around to it

similar feeling about nexus one

don't think ive used much of cats and dogs ones unless they're already on brindleton lot which i also don't use often tbh I'm only now building my brindleton up

I think i might find introducing those to moonwood fun tho

peace and quiet maybe like libraries ive yet to build many of same for study spot

get famous lot traits are on their original lots but thats about it

Island spirits are EVERYWHERE i love them just looking spooky on the background tbh they often go in random spooky builds even if am not doing the whole island part

uni ones are pretty much in their original places

eco ones can't recall much of i think i sometimes just put them in whatever

off the grid... very rarely but it frustrates me when things i consider off the grid enough are not included you know so meh

did i miss something? probably have not used either
  • I like how you used them @EmmaVane ! I've tried to assign some for certain neighbourhoods in the past, but I don't think I currently have anything cohesive going on. My favourite use is probably a grody diner in Newcrest. I don't use to lot traits for my advantage, but to spice up the game. I don't use those that come with the little markings around the sim at all because I find them distracting.
    EmmaVane
    Rising Hotshot
    "Ray_Trace;c-18191419" wrote:
    Off the Grid means no radios and all my Sims will die without a radio.

The cheap BG stereo is portable should should work off the grid. If not, you can place it in the world just off the edge of the lot and use it there.
  • Every time I play/build on a new lot I tend to think which are most relevant to whatever I plan to use it for. For example I adapted the rooftop bar thing in San Myshuno to have a stage for the Starlight Accolades so I gave it the hotspot trait to activate it. Also added the Spooky traits to my cemetery and the Admiral’s Wreckage in Sulani.
    userafw
    New Spectator
    I try to go by what would be appropriate for the lot. In Forgotten Hollow, I make Garliclauter a Haunted House and assign the spooky lot trait. I assign the spooky lot trait to all my haunted houses, and sometimes the cursed trait or the gremlins trait (but not both....too hard for me to play). The historical apartment in San Myshuno also is perfect for the spooky lot trait. Sulani gets a lot of Bracing Breezes and Eco friendly lot traits. Willow Creek typically gets "Good soil", as do all the lots . The karaoke bar in San Myshuno also gets a Up and Coming lot trait from Get famous. Also, I typically renovate it to add computers in the basement in case the Geek Festival gets rained out.

The other lots in Forgotten Hollow that are actually inhabited by pre-existing vampires I often give the spooky or the cursed lot trait to.
    MDianaSims
    Seasoned Hotshot
    I generally have one lot trait/challenge for each neighbourhood and then (before they separated them into traits/challenges) two more for the lot itself (based on who lives there or what the lot looks like). I do sometimes deviate from that for community lots if they're in a mainly residential area.
    But, depending on what type of game I'm playing, I may switch the lot traits/challenges of my active household at will.
  • I like to assign the lot according to the family I place there. For instance, if there is a desire to join the culinary career, I set the lot trait that promotes cooking. Gardening? I set a trait for that. Kids? I set it for good learning, etc. A musician on the lot? I set a trait conducive to that. Now, for a restaurant, I might set it for Bracing Breezes and other traits to make the place a nice place to dine. Other than that I don't even worry about the world.