Forum Discussion

9 months ago

More sensible integration of cooking and crafting skills and expansions

Food and drink preparation in the sims falls into 4 categories: homestyle, baking, gourmet cooking, and mixology. Cooking and beverage preparation is performed on the following appliances: stovetop, oven, grill, campfire, BBQ pit, counter, bar, espresso bar, cupcake factory, and kitchen appliances. Several packs enhance cooking like cottage living and home chef, however, there is no universal integration to streamline cooking interactions across all packs. Additionally, I think there are some much needed upgrades to recipes, skills, appliances, as well as adding new harvestable plants.

1. Recipe categories should be updated and expanded. Any recipe that requires you to mix batter or knead dough should be categorized as baking. Making cupcakes and bread via the homestyle cooking skill is nonsensical. There should be a new category for recipes that don't require an appliance and can be made on the counter via a mixing bowl or cutting board (i.e. cold sandwiches, salads, sliced fruit, etc). New cooking disciplines should be added for making smoked and cured meats, aged cheeses, cured tea and coffee blends, and distilled alcohols.

2. Fresh and prepped ingredients should be applicable to all cooking recipes, regardless of the cooking appliance. For instance, fresh and prepped ingredient options should be available for cooking via the cupcake factory, grill, and campfire.

3. Cooking appliances should be overhauled to incorporate applicable upgrades. For instance, grills can be upgraded to add smoker functions and allow for smoked meat recipes. Campfires can be upgraded to add a cooking spit to allow for slow roasting meats and making new types of stews. There should be new harvestables for coffee beans and tea leaves, so that coffee and tea blends can be crafted, and the crafted items can be used as fresh/prepped ingredients on coffee machines and tea makers.

4. There should be an actual barista still tied to growing coffee beans, crafting coffee blends, and using them with espresso bars and coffee makers.

5. There should be a new distillation skill and distillery crafting station in order to add craftable alcoholic beverages (vodka, tequila, rum, whiskey, etc). The crafted bottles can be used as fresh/prepped ingredients for professional and home bars. New harvestable plants should be added to correspond to the type of alcohol being crafted. For instance, blue agave for tequila, sugar cane for rum, barley for whiskey and so on.

This would allow more expansion upon bartending and barista careers. Since there is a tend function on espresso and professional bars, you should actually earn money and consume ingredients for completing orders. That way, if you want to incorporate freelance career options, you don't have to join the culinary career mixology branch and barista is only a part - time job. Then the game can add bars and cafes as ownable business types.

6. The fact that you can simply make cheese on a stove is unrealistic as cheesemaking is a much more in - depth process. There should be a cooking discipline for making various cheeses (cheddar, swiss, etc) and aging cheeses.

7. Now that you can trade livestock animals for meat, there should be expansions to cooking with meat. For instance, the additional of cooking disciplines for making dried, cured, and smoked meat and fish. Recipes for jerky, deli sandwiches, salted fish, and barbequed meats. As well as adding corresponding appliances for preparing these types of recipes (meat grinder, drying rack, and deli slicer). Since you can catch fish with the fishing skill, there should more fish related cooking gameplay. For instance, you can click on the counter and select prep fish. There would need to be an animation for scaling and filleting the fish. All in - game animals and fish should produce a unique cut of meat and recipes should use the corresponding meat cut. Also there should be additional wild and livestock animals to fulfill these additional meat requirements. Deer for venison, ducks, geese, pigs or boars, etc.
8. EDIT: The suggestion for a specific ingredient system would be optional. Like the fresh and prepped ingredient systems, you'd have the option to toggle it on and off. That way, when toggled off, recipes would accept "any" ingredient, instead of a specific ingredient.

9. It is definitely more animal friendly to "trade" your livestock for ingredients and receive packages of meat in the mail, but not exactly realistic. There should be an interactive object or shell for "butchering" livestock and having the meat go directly into the sims inventory. Obviously, the animal friendly option will remain, but I don't want to have to wait to get wrapped meat in the mail.

Crafting activities and skills also need an overhaul. Skills needs to incorporate more sensible career opportunities (especially freelance gigs) and specialty lot types. Crafting should allow for optional ingredients and supplies that have to be gathered or grown.

1. The painting skill could incorporate using harvestables to mix paint and use it as an ingredient to reduce the cost of creating new paintings. Painters can take freelance gigs to create and deliver art to libraries, museums, and private collectors.
2. The woodworking skill can be overhauled to allow for new furniture recipes and optional ingredients to reduce the cost of crafting (i.e wood, nails, etc). Wood can be gathered from outdoor plants via a tree chopping or hedge trimming animation.

3. The flower arranging skill should have a new discipline for Japanese Ikebana flower arrangements. There would be new harvestables including various types of orchids and it would expand upon the cultural theme of Snowy Escape. Also there should be a freelance career to accept gigs for fulfilling orders for specific arrangements and a flower show social event.

4. Retail stores should receive an overhaul to allow for cooking and crafting related specialty lot traits. For instance, a store can have the liquor store lot trait and allow retail fridges to be stocked with crafted nectar or alcohol bottles. You can hold a wine tasting social event for your store and also have the option to supply bars and restaurants with cases of nectar, etc.

You can have a bakery lot trait that allows you to stock displays with baked items. The store could have a functional chalkboard that allows customers to place orders for a specific baked item (functions like freelance gig system).

You can have the furniture store lot trait and sell items crafted on the woodworking table. You can sell individual items or create styled show rooms. You can also have situational events occur where a customer purchases furniture and needs it delivered to their house.

5. The photography skill should be upgraded to incorporate new types of equipment and photography styles. For instance, you can have cameras that require film rolls and dark rooms to develop photos, digital cameras that require photo editing software and printers to make digital prints from the computer, and street galleries that allow you to stock photo prints and sell them. There should also be a feature to turn photo prints into post cards, etc and sell them via plopsy.
    EgonVM
    Seasoned Ace
    One thing is for sure here: direct references to alcoholic drinks will never be added (age rating and all that). I'd hate that myself too though (don't ask me why).

Plus, I don't get the idea of retail lot traits either. The slots are limited already (3), and you'll have to consider everything from the past and in the future. If it is to have those events happen automatically when a sim is not owning the store, then sure, I get it then. For now, the flexibility of those retail stores (you don't have to choose what type it is and then be restricted, but you can just sell anything) is great for me. Grocery stores, bakers, potion stores, everything store...
    I agree, an overhaul for retail stores would be great. However, new lot traits exclusively for retail stores I'm not on board with unfortunately. Otherwise, you'll have to search lot traits amongst the retail-exclusive ones that aren't available for the current lot and be bumped back up once you equip a lot trait.

I like the painting skill idea. Perhaps even include special object for the museums for the paintings sold to be displayed there.
    Also like the woodworking idea (it is tied to Handiness skill though). There is a freelancer career for painters though, yet it doesn't have such gigs. Yet there is a Painter career too, though work from home option would be great there.

Flower arranging idea is great too. More cross-pack flower arrangements would be great. The only special cross-pack flower arrangements come from My Wedding Stories (and these are bridal bouquets).

Photography, ok, idea sounds interesting. Moschino stuff pack does expand on it somewhat. It does bring photo editing, but this must be unlocked through the freelance fashion photographer career.
    There is a street gallery object from City Living that does allow selling paintings, photos aren't allowed to be sold. I agree it would be nice to be able to sell these on there too. You can sell photos on sales table though as they can be put on tables as standing photos.

On cooking though, I have these things to add.

There are things that require meat. Just without Simple Living lot challenge, it isn't necessary.
    But bringing butchering to the game? No thanks on that. I am a bit of squeamish of course, but I don't think many people would be happy on that though... A lot of city folk not being used to the ugly side of animal farming...

I do agree on making cheesemaking more realistic though. I do see the potential in the rest of the ideas though. Though Baking skill is a Get to Work skill, so anything requiring batter being tied to baking skill instead would require Baking skill to be brought to the base game (the expansion pack already lost one skill: photography).
  • "EgonVM;c-18343980" wrote:
    One thing is for sure here: direct references to alcoholic drinks will never be added (age rating and all that). I'd hate that myself too though (don't ask me why).

Plus, I don't get the idea of retail lot traits either. The slots are limited already (3), and you'll have to consider everything from the past and in the future. If it is to have those events happen automatically when a sim is not owning the store, then sure, I get it then. For now, the flexibility of those retail stores (you don't have to choose what type it is and then be restricted, but you can just sell anything) is great for me. Grocery stores, bakers, potion stores, everything store...
    I agree, an overhaul for retail stores would be great. However, new lot traits exclusively for retail stores I'm not on board with unfortunately. Otherwise, you'll have to search lot traits amongst the retail-exclusive ones that aren't available for the current lot and be bumped back up once you equip a lot trait.

The suggestion for specific retail lot traits could also be turned into challenges, since you can add as many as you want. However, the idea of having a specialized store was to allow for specific events, situations, and gigs to be triggered based on the store type. An example of the new system would be, the baking skill would correspond with a bakery specific store trait and offer baking related events, situations, and gigs for that store type. I think an everything store that could trigger any type of event, situation, or gig would overload the player.

But yes, I see the point you made in reference to the baking skill recipe adjustments.

Additionally, since so much cultural diversity is being added by various expansions, skills, activities, and hobbies should be updated and improved to enhance culture specific gameplay. Hence the flower arranging and Ikebana cross over idea. Jungle Adventure has a South American theme and many countries in South America are known for coffee beans, tropical fruits, and foliage crafting activities. Snowy Escape has an East Asian theme and many Asian cultures give importance to flowers, tea leaves, and martial art activities.

And several of the worlds are waterfront or coastal world types, but don't expand much on fishing activities, water sports, and aquatic animals. The snorkeling and dolphin interaction is nice, but there should be more diversity such as whales, sharks, manta rays, and other saltwater aquatic animals. Additionally, freshwater fishing spots should spawn animals to interact with such as river otters, beavers, and so on.

Aside from water vehicles like the aqua zip, more water related activities should be added such as: beach volleyball, cruise ships, and gondola rides.

Yeah, I imagine the more squeamish players don't want to butcher their animals, but people from rural areas would totally relate to that feature. I mean, who sends meat in the post?

Some skills are over - simplified in the game. Considering the average expansion cost $40, EA doesn't need to hold back on gameplay. Like, when I got horse ranch, I thought you'd actually be able to make a vineyard to grow grapes in order to make nectar. However, you use regular fruits for most recipes and grape harvestables don't even grow on a vine.

And there are lots of outdoor plants added with some of the packs, but none of them produce harvestable fruits or flowers. For instance, there is a plant called jalapa from the jungle adventure pack. This plant, known as Marvel of Peru or Four O'clock flower, is edible, medicinal, and can be used to make dyes. However, in - game, it is a decoration. There is a banana plant from JA that doesn't grow bananas, and a bunch of edible flowers from the base game that are only decoration.