Forum Discussion

27 days ago

new historical/vocational careers and pack updates

Careers in the sims are a bit uninteresting. Most are rabbitholes, with the exception of get to work active careers. Some careers/freelance jobs allow you to work from home and are more flexible. Sims can choose not to join a career and make money from a hobby like woodworking or fishing. With packs like home chef, crystal creations, and cottage living, it's easier to make money without owning retail stores by selling homemade items.

However, I've wanted more variety in careers for a long time, including historical careers, vocational careers, and updates to existing packs to add better career options. This pack/update would also allow teen sims to become apprentices until they age up and can join the career. To become an apprentice, the sim must find a master NPC, befriend them, and then an interaction will show up to ask to become an apprentice. Apprenticeships would function similarly to learning magic from a sage in realm of magic DLC. The NPC would have an apprenticeship menu with interactions for improving skill knowledge and learning crafting recipes. 

Pack features:

1. New machine operator career and factory career venue. When I purchased growing together and saw the description for San Sequoia (which said it had a fishing industry) I thought, why is there no fishery? The career would entail working on an assembly line (conveyor style) producing a variety of processed foods. There would also be 2 career branches: cannery and fishery. The cannery would specialize in canned produce, frozen meals, and microwave meals, while the fishery would specialize in seafood products such as fish sticks, fish paste, caviar, and tinned tuna, salmon, sardines, etc. It'd also be nice if there was a grocery store shell or market stall, where these items could be purchased and consumed. The items can be crafted with optional ingredients to reduce crafting cost.
  2. New carpenter career and sawmill career venue. This career would come with a new skill, woodworking (which I believe should be separate from handiness) and allow sims to make craftable and functional furniture (actual upholstered furniture) in various styles (modern, victorian, rustic, etc) and the furniture is sellable (like any crafted object). As the sim is promoted to new levels, they can unlock more crafting recipes. EA should also introduce a logging skill, which allows sims to harvest ingredients from trees such as logs, branches, and bark. Furniture can be crafted with optional ingredients to reduce crafting cost. Alternatively, a sim could become a freelance lumberjack and simply sell tree products on a sales table.
  3. New blacksmith career and skill. The blacksmith career would be a historical career and allow sims to craft items on a forge using optional ingredients (metals, etc). Craftable items would include decorative weapons, shields, suits of armor and wearable armor, functional weapons, armor for horses (horse ranch update) so players can have a knight sim and horse companion, weapon and armor racks, etc. The items would be sellable and as the sim is promoted to new levels, they can unlock more recipes.
  4. New seamster career and sewing skill. This career would allow sims to craft wearable cas items, functional curtains (with interaction to close/open curtain), throw pillows, blankets, and rugs using a sewing machine. There would also be a historical version to allow sims to craft medieval style cas items, tapestries, and rugs on a loom and it would come with a new weaving skill. EA could also introduce new harvestables: cotton, flax (linen), jute, and silkworms for eco living insect farms. This would allow sims to harvest plant fibers and craft thread/fabric to use as optional ingredients for recipes and reduce crafting cost.
  5. Animal husbandry career and animal breeding skill. This career would be a work from home career and function as more of an update for the cottage living and horse ranch packs. It would allow sims to purchase mini animals and shed animals (now with male and female options like the chicken and rooster) and breed them. The breeding process could have 2 options: a rabbithole breeding and birthing interaction or an active breeding and birthing interaction. The second option would require EA to introduce a deluxe animal shed that can house 2 or more animals (like the chicken coop) to allow for the breeding and birthing to take place in the shed. When the offspring is born, they can be placed in an available empty shed or sold.
  6. New artisan career, which would be a new freelance career with branches for pottery, stone carving, and glass blowing.
    The pottery career would come with a new pottery skill and allow sims to craft earthenware and porcelain objects (vases, bowls, plates, tureens, etc) on a pottery wheel/kiln. EA could introduce new collectibles such as red clay and kaolin clay to be used as optional ingredients for recipes and reduce crafting cost. As sims are promoted to new levels, they can unlock more recipes.
    The stone carving/sculptor career would come with a new stone carving skill and allow sims to craft stoneware objects such as figurines, statues, vases, paperweights, etc using a stone carving workbench. EA could introduce new collectibles such as: marble, granite, and jade to be used as optional ingredients for recipes to reduce crafting cost.
    The glass blowing career would come with a new glass blowing skill and allow sims to craft glassware using a blowpipe. EA could introduce a new sandstone collectible and also allow sims to collectible sand buckets from sand terrain and island living beaches using a new interaction. The sand bucket/sandstone could be used as optional ingredients for recipes to reduce crafting cost.
  7. A new tanner career and tannery career venue. This career would come with a new tanning skill and allow sims to craft wearable leather and fur cas items, decorative items such as satchels, wallets, attache cases (with inventories), fur rugs, etc. Items can be sold, and decorative items would have some functionality. EA could also allow sims to collect animal hides/furs from a new rabbithole hunting interaction. Animal fiber ingredients can be used as optional ingredients for recipes to reduce crafting cost. There would also be an option to craft faux fur and leather items (with their respective optional ingredients) and a humane way to collect animal fibers (if cottage living is installed) by asking befriended rabbits and foxes for animal pelts.
  • More manufacturing options will always be welcome in the Sims. I would like a cosmetics station, something to make soaps, bathsalts, lotions, perfumes, etc. Some of the products would give moodlets like nice smell, or refreshing, or feeling pretty, etc, and some could have actual effects like anti wrinkle or acne creams or sun lotion for vampires.  Would also be nice if the hairdressing chair could be used to set up a hair salon. 

pandacookiesims
      New Scout

I'd also like to see craftable personal care items. I thought after the release of spa day, EA might introduce bath products into the game. I mean, the only thing sims can do is take a bubble bath, mud bath, and bath with soaks. However, it's not like you can make a bath bomb or oils for baths.  Sims should be able to use/craft use soap, perfume, deodorant, shampoo, and bath bombs.

SheriSim
        Seasoned Scout

I believe you might be able to create something similar to deodorant with the herbalism skill, but I’m always up for more creative items that are useable.

• I would love more jobs full stop. But rather than a pack full of jobs for history, I'd prefer more timeless jobs that can work in whatever era. I'm even fine with rabbit hole careers even if I'd prefer the semi-active. I feel with "work from home" I can create the workplaces myself and then adapt them to the time and place. I have a harder time with the active careers since the workplaces dictate so much (it's hard to be Dr. Quinn when her work place has futuristic surgery machines). But here are some of my thoughts: 

• Manual labour jobs in general that are full time rather than part time. Today the only true full time manual career we have is gardener. How about factory worker, contractor/builder, fisherman, carpenter, washerwoman... Also full time versions of jobs like barista and retail employee, because there are a many people who work in jobs like that full time. It's not just for teens. 
    • More academic careers such as teacher, librarian, museum curator, office clerk...
    • I definitely second more manufacturing abilities and would love more ways to sell things at your home, a way to run a business (an inn, b&b, shop, bakery...) from your house which again, would serve as a good option both for historical gameplay and for all other gameplay. 
    Sim4Lorn
    Rising Traveler

All interesting ideas - and - you touched on something that I have fantasized about for a long time; functional curtains. Also, while we're at it, functional windows. Being able to customize your home by opening and closing windows and curtains would be such an amazing thing. I can't be the only player who wants this. Opening your windows on windy days could make your curtains billow. Open windows on rainy days would wet your floors. Open windows on cool days would function the same as having the ac on, and so forth. There could be random events where birds/bugs fly in through the window and you have to figure out how to get them out of your house.  

• I love the idea. Especially for those of us who like to play out a certain time in history.

SEREFRAS
    Seasoned Vanguard

I would so love new Historical Careers.😍  My sims so needs it in the Historical Game Saves.😚

SEREFRAS
    Seasoned Vanguard

I totally so need this in my Ancient Times Game Save, my Medieval Times Game Save & my Georgian/Victorian Game Save.  Pretty please.🀩

justinb113
    Seasoned Adventurer

Not withstanding a pack with new jobs, I really think it would be cool if they just updated a lot of the careers in a major patch.

There are some really good ones and obvious ones to have in the sims that just suffer from being early inclusions.  Even if it’s just small tweaks it would be nice to see some of the really basic careers, including the teen jobs like barista, become a little more involved.

grnblz
    Rising Traveler

I would like to see #4 from your list in the game.  We could make new quilts for our beds and they would go into our inventory or be done something like the knitting is but they would be available for you to use on your beds in game. Also you could sell them. I would also like to be able to grow more things for the garden like corn, wheat, etc., and be able to can or bake more things to eat and to sell. The sewing and more gardening would be great. I like to keep my sims busy making things. Although my sims make their money in game now from selling paintings on plopsy.

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.33,098 PostsLatest Activity: 6 minutes ago