Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Not enough to do at the Finchwick Fair

My sim went to the Finchwick Fair at the beginning of the day and entered their chicken in the contest. They chatted a little with the chicken, bought some stuff at the garden stall and met a new sim. After that, there really wasn't anything left to do. But I had to wait until 22:00 for the fair to be over and find out the results of the contest. Then I just let my sim take a nap and put speed on 3 because I did not know how else to pass the time, which kind of defeats the point of the game.

It feels a bit ironic that an hour before the fair ends you get a message telling you to round up and finish all the activities, when there only are 2 activities to do: entering a chicken in the contest and entering an egg in the contest. It makes the experience seem quite shallow. I love the idea of the fair, but it just turned out to be disappointing.

It would be nice if there were at least some more gameplay items for sims to use. Some ideas for fair activities:
- shop at an antiques market
- have high tea
- have a go at the high striker
- play tin can alley
- watch or play in a hand puppet theatre
- hook-a-duck with prizes

I think we are lacking gameplay in community lots in general. So I'm not quite sure which actives to put there that are already part of the game. But using existing items, like a chess table, would also make the fair less special anyway.
    SerraNolwen
    Seasoned Novice
    Yeah, I wish there were some games and extra contests for sims to do during the fair, or the possibility of eating some local food. High tea sounds like it could have been fun to. In fact, you've given me an idea. If I ever get around to rebuilding Henford, I think I'll make a restaurant lot nearby with some extra activities from other packs (horseshoes, puppet theater) outside. Maybe that will help at least a little. Sadly, I doubt this will ever get a pack refresh, but the fairs really needed something more to do than enter something, maybe bribe the judge and wait.
    Ziafar
    Seasoned Traveler
    To liven a little things up I sometimes put the selling table with one of my sims selling different things, like books the Sim wrote for example, or collectibles, or pies. or the painting wall with which you can sell your paintings. Sometimes I put the object with which you can play music in City Living festivals.
  • there should be more to do but what might liven things up is maybe you could edit the pub and add some items of your liking to use there while fair is going on

I also like to get my sims exercise done while waiting so they can get rid of some pie eating weight

and i edited the pub in my own game so the sofa area in first floor is for watching sports games and second floor there is little tea nook (in preparation of wedding pack that adds tea set) and then i put the debate stuff from DU there and some bookshelves so sims can read

I also have desk i used for journaling but i think i might eventually add computer there so sims can do work stuff or something or maybe research station

also cross-stitching or knitting or such can also be done while waiting the results since you can carry those with you
    Kita5399
    New Spectator
    I agree! I would have loved to see some of the TS3 fair items come back for this. I’m thinking the pie eating contest, bobbing for apples, photo & face paint booths, & carnival games. I’m honestly thinking of getting the tool mod back so I can place the popcorn/ice cream machines, and pumpkin carving booth there.
  • Agree that the 'fair' is lacking, too small and too little to do, which goes back to the game itself being limited in what sims can do anywhere. Based on the last time I went to a fair about 5 years ago there should be:

Lots of sims to interact with. Fairs are a big deal so draw lots of folks from all over.
    Several more contests, each with many entrants - use townies if need be. Our sims should be able to wander around, view the entries, and maybe vote
    Entertainers to watch - singers, dancers, musicians, magicians, acrobats, storytellers
    Outdoor games, including the sporting kind
    A wide variety of food stalls to visit for either a meal, dessert, or sampling. This already happens in the Spice Festival. Also, items to buy and take home.
    A multitude of vendors selling mostly small things, usually hand-made, the sort of things you seldom see in stores. Also book and art vendors, often selling their own work.
    Lots of animals on display to look at, learn about, and to some degree interact with.
    Races, whether of sims or animals. The fair I went to even had turtle races.
    Demonstrations - whether of how to make and do things or how farm animals work. An extreme case - a hitch of 8 Clydesdales pulling a heavily loaded wagon at full speed. The ground shook!

A fair should be a major event, but the one in the game is very ho-hum. Even the festivals in CL draw bigger crowds and have more going on.
  • I've only been to the Fair once, but my Sims usually ended up chilling at the bar running the tab on drinks I didn't want them to order. Only keeping them chatting with other Sims way aways from the pub was able to distract them enough bc there isn't much else to do at these Fairs.