Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Preferences for Neighbourhood Layouts?

Hi all.

I wanted to ask what people's preferences are for the way neighbourhoods are created in the worlds. Do you have favourite neighbourhoods in the game? What do you like about them?

Something I'm personally not keen on in Brindleton Bay is that while the docks area is very run-down and almost quite low-end, they have that massive lounge area that is really massive and conspicuous. I think I understand the idea, that the area is undergoing some gentrification and maybe it's a social comment on big investors that buy up chunks of land in poorer areas, pushing out the lower-income households. However the placement of it really bothers me. I really love the feel of the docks area and I wish that was the feel of the whole zone and that they had a separate 'rich' area in another part of the map. Perhaps if it was positioned slightly further away it wouldn't be so out of place. I just feel like it ruins the story of that area a little. What do you think?

If I compare Brindleton Bay to Windenburg or San Myshuno: those worlds have very clearly defined areas. San Myshuno in particular has areas that are quite economically consistent. The Spice Market appears to be the lowest income area and Uptown is the richest. I really like that clear definition. Windenburg perhaps has more mixed areas, like on the island where there is a huge 64x64 lot and there are smaller lots by the beach, but since the surrounding area is woodland and the lots are spaced more widely apart, the contrast doesn't jar as much.

I'm just not really keen on all the extra 'stuff' around the lounge in BB because I feel like it restricts how creative I can be with that lot. And it's just so out of place with the rest of the area. I just wish they'd placed it elsewhere, maybe on that large lot in Cavalier Cove. I'd have really liked them to have had the 'rich' area with the lots as its own separate zone with a couple of lots for houses. Because I think I could have really told a lot of stories around that. It currently feels like they squashed two zones into one.

Other than that, I really love the style of BB! So I'm not complaining about the whole thing. I'm just thinking that I'd like them to keep the theme of the neighbourhoods more tightly themed for future worlds. I think the base game worlds did have those areas defined by prosperity and I like that more.

What about you? Which areas do you like? And how do you like the neighbourhoods to be themed inside the worlds?