Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Selling Masterpieces

Is there any reason in this version of the game to keep a masterpiece rather than sell it? In Sims 2 (I believe) paintings could increase in value, especially after an artist died, so giving masterpieces to family members was almost like leaving them an inheritance.

I have several level 10 artists who paint a lot of masterpieces. I'm selling them (without creating any copies) to get fame points, but each time I sell one the dialogue box comes up saying that masterpieces are very rare and asking if I'm sure I really want to sell one.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't sell the masterpieces my sims paint?
  • I keep a collection of expensive paintings in their personal inventories to give to their children. I end up putting a relatively equal monetary amount in their children's personal inventories that the children can take with them when they move out. Their children can then sell them as needed. I haven't paid much attention to values when placed in the home but I haven't noticed them losing value in the inventory. They do add positive environment if you place them in your home.

• "aldavor;c-17084047" wrote:
    None, apart from increasing the value of your lot should you decide to hang it up somewhere.

If you don't mind using mods, check out modthesims.info/d/625234/masterpiece-painting-sale-no-warning.html

Thanks! The "warning box" doesn't really bother me. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't losing out somehow from selling all those masterpieces. I have one artist who really wants to be famous, and so far (I just got Get Famous) selling his paintings seems to be the only way he has of gaining a little fame. If you know other ways to help me make him famous, please share!
  • "treece01;c-17084054" wrote:
    I keep a collection of expensive paintings in their personal inventories to give to their children. I end up putting a relatively equal monetary amount in their children's personal inventories that the children can take with them when they move out. Their children can then sell them as needed. I haven't paid much attention to values when placed in the home but I haven't noticed them losing value in the inventory. They do add positive environment if you place them in your home.

Thanks. That is an excellent way for an artist to help out the children as they become young adults and move out on their own. Once I get a bit of fame for these artists, I might have them start giving paintings to their offspring. I really appreciate the suggestion! I did that in Sims 2, but since the paintings aren't increasing in value, I never really thought of giving them to the children.