Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Sims for Men

I noticed The Sims 4 became very girlie. I don't remember the previous versions being so girlie. I picked up my first Sims game because it was an amazing game to build houses. I don't know if it was CC content I used then that made the game less girlie. But now I'm playing on a console so there is no way to add CC stuff. So I have to stick with what EA has to offer but most of the packs are so women orientated and that's weird in 2021it's even borderline conservatism. I haven't build one family and do not intend to build a family.

When I look at how many playstation friends have this game I was shocked how many of them own the Sims game. I never see them play it but they owned the game one time or another. I think EA is alienating men who want to play the sims with all the women centric content. And for those who don't understand where I'm coming from. Rest assured I don't want want guns in the game or a GI Joe themed pack o:)

Edit on April 19th

I leave the original post untouched so new readers understand the answers that followed better.

The part that I want to clarify is the wording 'girlie" and "for women". My native tongue is not English so I'm not always using the correct language which sometimes can sound offensive. With girlie I meant "directed to teenagers" and "for woman" should have been 'domestic tasks"
  • Understand C.A.S. Is women directed. I play men sims, and do the same I would with women. Shirt, pants, job, lifelong goal E.G. Own a restaurant, top promotion, children, dog. Maybe I'm a bit of a simple ton. Open to hear other opinions. PS4. Edited: it blurred simple ton. Asked a question, scroll down (not a malicious way, I want to know more.)
    Sigzy_29
    New Spectator
    "Mstybl95;c-17857532" wrote:

"CAPTAIN_NXR7;c-17857444" wrote:
    "Mstybl95;c-17857325" wrote:
    "Chicklet453681;c-17857306" wrote:
    "CAPTAIN_NXR7;c-17857263" wrote:
    Rather than “girly” I’d prefer to call some of these manners effeminate, although virtually they mean the same thing.

It’s fine if being flamboyant is a characteristic of that specific sim, but these guys shouldn’t all be treated the same way.

I always loved the introduction of walk styles, however I feel that a sim’s manner and movement should go beyond just that. Perhaps it’s asking for a lot, but it would give our sims so much more of that character and personality we’ve been hoping to see.

I play traditional, straight males so I either give them the tough walk or the swagger walk, but that’s where the expression of their manner also kinda stops, doesn’t it? The moment my “tough” dude sits on the sofa he crosses his legs. Why? That’s not the kind of guy he is...he’d take over the whole couch with his presence. Both legs miles apart.

There’s no need for it to be super exaggerated, but details like this would make such a huge difference.

That's what I think the OP is talking about, how all the sims act the same, regardless of their sex, which tends to be a more feminine response/reaction to a lot of things.

And I agree, it is jarring to have a heterosexual straight male who walks tough and swaggerish, all of a sudden have mostly traditionally feminine gestures, animations, and reactions to things.

It would have been so much better if the "walk style" dictated more how the sim behaved animation-wise .... ie: swagger walk = manly man, tough guy actions, feminine walk = flirty, girly hand fluttery type actions, goofy walk = goofball actions and responses, etc.

Or better yet, they could have just made all actions, responses, and animations be totally neutral and non-gender geared.

But, that's just my opinion.

But that's also because animators are expensive and they don't want to hire them as well. TS4 is just a low budget game. They use recycled animations for everything and every sim acts the same for that reason.

That’s true, animators are very expensive, but teasing us with walk styles that give our sims character and rendering half of that redundant by using the same animations on each and every sim no matter what kinda person they are doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, especially when talking about a life sim. Its a shame really.

Here ye want cookies with cream? There ya go, good boy, now give that back and let me take out the cream.” ??‍♂️

I can only imagine that we got those walkstyles because they were already created for the MMO game that TS4 was supposed to be. I think the reason build/buy mode and CAS is so great with so many revolutionary features is because that was all that was supposed to be in the game. It was just supposed to be us creating our avatar (walkstyle included) and then building a house and then just talking to others like IMVU or Second Life.

Yep pretty much that. I think there's still some leftover code for chat rooms in the game files. The real people playing through the sim avatars, would be all the personality the sims would have, one of the reasons why CAS was so focused upon was because they really wanted us creating ourselves, to use in the hub nighborhoods, also the reason why TS4 isn't open world. Each neighborhood was a hub to host other players.
  • "hyrulerose;c-17858323" wrote:
    "Antwerpo;d-988798" wrote:
    When I look at how many playstation friends have this game I was shocked how many of them own the Sims game. I never see them play it but they owned the game one time or another.

Not to go off topic from the overarching conversation (and apologies if it's already been mentioned), but this is most likely because TS4 was free for PS+ subscribers at some point last year. I also own TS4 on PS4 because of that, but have only played it once, for about a half-hour lol.

I have PS+ too but I don't download all the free games. Only the ones I think I will ever play. I probably got my copy for free as well.
  • "Antwerpo;c-17858541" wrote:
    "hyrulerose;c-17858323" wrote:
    "Antwerpo;d-988798" wrote:
    When I look at how many playstation friends have this game I was shocked how many of them own the Sims game. I never see them play it but they owned the game one time or another.

Not to go off topic from the overarching conversation (and apologies if it's already been mentioned), but this is most likely because TS4 was free for PS+ subscribers at some point last year. I also own TS4 on PS4 because of that, but have only played it once, for about a half-hour lol.

I have PS+ too but I don't download all the free games. Only the ones I think I will ever play. I probably got my copy for free as well.

Sure, but my point is that you're going to see a lot of people owning a game if it was available for free at some point. Especially with a recognizable name like The Sims, people will download it just to "try it out" since they can easily uninstall later - there's no cost to just give it a go. The fact that they didn't continue playing isn't necessarily because they're finding the game too "women-centric", it could be for any number of reasons. In any case, I wasn't really trying to argue or disagree, just wanted to mention that the game having been free likely accounts for an unusually high number of people owning it. :)
  • For me it's not about being woman or man oriented. Honestly I don't even know what do you mean by that since The Sims is a life simulation and you can do every thing you want!

One thing is sure, The Sims 4 is more childish and family friendly and maybe that's what the problem is.

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.33,086 PostsLatest Activity: 18 minutes ago