Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Taking real life room measurements . . .

and transposing them to TS4 when building. If a room in RL is 10 x 12, how many squares each way would that be?
  • When I do that, I set up the furniture first then draw the walls after. I did this with my simself house because in real life I'm more familiar with how close the table is to the chair and wall instead of the actual dimensions of the room. It doesn't completely mimic real life, but in The Sims, you have to follow Sims rules. The moveobjects cheat sometimes makes things unplayable.
  • When I used to use real life floorplans for building, I would cut the measurements in half, as a general rule. To use your example a room that in real life was 10x12, I would start with 5x6 and adjust accordingly. I also would look at the doors and windows of the real life house and kind of visualize how many in-game squares they would be. For example, if the house had a window that had shutters, I know the game windows with shutters would be at least 2 squares wide. Once I got the basic structure of the house, I would, once again, adjust accordingly until I was happy with the size. Not an exact science but it worked for me.
  • "CorkysPetals;c-17135391" wrote:
    When I do that, I set up the furniture first then draw the walls after. I did this with my simself house because in real life I'm more familiar with how close the table is to the chair and wall instead of the actual dimensions of the room. It doesn't completely mimic real life, but in The Sims, you have to follow Sims rules. The moveobjects cheat sometimes makes things unplayable.

I do this too, I use objects as a measurement. I look at a room or a wall IRL and think "That's roughly four fridges long..."
  • I work to each full grid square being about 60cm (2 feet) if you do a comparison with, say, kitchen appliances to real measurements.
  • "SweetieWright_84;c-17135649" wrote:
    When I used to use real life floorplans for building, I would cut the measurements in half, as a general rule. To use your example a room that in real life was 10x12, I would start with 5x6 and adjust accordingly. I also would look at the doors and windows of the real life house and kind of visualize how many in-game squares they would be. For example, if the house had a window that had shutters, I know the game windows with shutters would be at least 2 squares wide. Once I got the basic structure of the house, I would, once again, adjust accordingly until I was happy with the size. Not an exact science but it worked for me.

Ah, so now I understand why my building habits didn't carry over well into Sims 4. I tend to equate one square on graph paper to equal 1 foot. My bad. If I don't have the plans already drawn on graph paper, I have been known to go back into Sims3, to chart them from there. I had every intention of making the Wright Way House bigger, in Sims 4, since the remake done by another player seemed so small and cramped in that game. I even went all the way back into Sims2 to have another look at the original. That's when I realized they didn't use a grid in build mode. Ho-hum. I was able to see what was 'wrong' in the translation, however. So on graph paper I corrected it, then I built it in Sims4. I had no need to up-size it, as it turned out. Same with the castle I designed. The 1 square = I wall formula makes my builds so large. I shall have to cut things in half in order for any of my builds to not look out-of-place in IL. I know without the grid I used to place furniture momentarily to get an idea if the build was large enough for my taste back in Sims2.