Forum Discussion

GalacticGal
Seasoned Ace
2 years ago

The Trouble With Toddlers …

First she's upset because she needs fun and attention. Her Daddy plays Bear with her and her attention level rises along with the fun. Then, when he puts her down, she is angry because he 'roughed her up'. Sometimes there's just no pleasing the little tykes.

Please share your moments of trouble with your Toddler(s).
  • Never look at the clock with toddlers. They get woken up to eat etc. but are often up at night working on skills when the family sleeps.
  • "GalacticGal;c-18216896" wrote:
    "Simmerville;c-18216827" wrote:
    I don't pay much attention to toddlers. It's only the pas few months of simming that I found sims will benefit from learning skills while toddlers. I find the potty training and high chair totally frustrating, but that might be more to the fact of the game lining up actions invisible in queue, so when directing a parent to feed in high chair the game responds with "let's sit down and chat in the room upstairs" while the actual "serve food in high chair" is queued but not yet invisible. I've pulled out most of my hair over this by now...

Toddlers are very cute and cool to watch though. Just not my focus life stage.

Try having a Sim Serve (fill in mealtime here) and leave the platter on the counter. Then have a Sim "Call to meal". The Toddlers can easily grab their food from there. They may toddle off to another room, but if you watch, they'll take a seat and eat their food. I only have a high chair on the lot for 'emergency feedings', if you will.

As for Potty Training, having a adult Sim help them, it really doesn't take all that long. (Not like in Sims2, where you had very limited time to get it done, anyway.)

Oh, I normally don't use highchairs either. It takes too much time feeding them there. I also drag a plate to their inventory because if they have food in inventory they can help themselves whenever they get hungry and without needing to walk over to the group serving. That said, walking builds their Motor skill, so it's not all bad having them wander all over the lot.

PS: Once I accidently fed a toddler a rose and to my surprise toddlers can actually eat flowers... not sure if that was a glitch that is fixed by now, but I almost fell off my chair watching, LOL.
  • "rudolpha;c-18217780" wrote:
    Never look at the clock with toddlers. They get woken up to eat etc. but are often up at night working on skills when the family sleeps.

Free range Toddlers, that's what I've got. LOL I think the only time I watch the clock is to make certain employed Sims get to work.
  • Have a werewolf toddler with a weight problem. He's a hereditary lycanthrope with the Wild trait, and has been on raw meat since he aged up from infant. (Both parents hunt often, so the fridge is always well stocked.) Gets plenty of exercise, howls constantly ever since he was taught to, and he's almost impossible to keep up with. Apparently raw meat has a LOT of calories thiough, as he's quickly become pudgy, and will probably need to spend a lot of time jogging or swimming as a teenager to get back to a healthy weight.

Greg also seems to be terrified of him. During a family outing to the Moonwood Collective hangout, Greg wandered up to him. Both parents were fully prepared to drive him off, but Greg just made frightened gestures and ran back the way he came. Lily, on the other hand, thinks Daniel is the most adorable little wolf ever and regularly visits just laugh merrily at his antics.
  • "SteveBridger;c-18217887" wrote:
    Have a werewolf toddler with a weight problem. He's a hereditary lycanthrope with the Wild trait, and has been on raw meat since he aged up from infant. (Both parents hunt often, so the fridge is always well stocked.) Gets plenty of exercise, howls constantly ever since he was taught to, and he's almost impossible to keep up with. Apparently raw meat has a LOT of calories thiough, as he's quickly become pudgy, and will probably need to spend a lot of time jogging or swimming as a teenager to get back to a healthy weight.

Greg also seems to be terrified of him. During a family outing to the Moonwood Collective hangout, Greg wandered up to him. Both parents were fully prepared to drive him off, but Greg just made frightened gestures and ran back the way he came. Lily, on the other hand, thinks Daniel is the most adorable little wolf ever and regularly visits just laugh merrily at his antics.

Many a Toddler fatten up, if you will. That doesn't always mean they'll be pudgy Child Sims. If they are, you can always take them into cas.fulleditmode, and slim them down. :)
  • Or give them a soccer ball as a kid, that will probably take care of it @SteveBridger :) welcome to the forum btw, and your pudgy mini-were sounds totally adorable.

• I think the toddlers are cute little beans but sometimes certain traits are really annoying. I have a fussy toddler that throws tantrums and destroys the dollhouse all the time because they get tired of dancing. They ask daddy for a hug and then get mad at daddy for hugging them and end up with hurt or grudge sentiments. My toddler had hurt sentiments with 3 out of the five young adults in the house at the same time. It's just too much sometimes so I turn off needs for everyone.
  • > @RPGTabbycat said:
    > I think the toddlers are cute little beans but sometimes certain traits are really annoying. I have a fussy toddler that throws tantrums and destroys the dollhouse all the time because they get tired of dancing. They ask daddy for a hug and then get mad at daddy for hugging them and end up with hurt or grudge sentiments. My toddler had hurt sentiments with 3 out of the five young adults in the house at the same time. It's just too much sometimes so I turn off needs for everyone.

Unless they're Angelic, werewolf toddlers and children can also be a major challenge. Beastly Growth Spurts and New Fang Pain mean they're very often in an angry mood, unless there're other factors putting them in a better frame of mind. (Fortunately werewolf children do get the happy moodlet from eating raw meat, the same as older werewolves.) Chewing on their toys, a very funny autonomous action, does seem to help alleviate the pain of fangs coming in. Wild werewolf toddlers are amusingly difficult to keep up with, as they're all over the place, but at least they're very good at keeping themselves occupied. They also have some cute interactions, such as asking their parents where the moon went during a new moon.