Forum Discussion

PixelGlitches
Seasoned Newcomer
10 months ago

Who uses OneDrive for The Sims 4?

Hi everyone, I’m using OneDrive on all my PCs and laptops which I love and I use it for The Sims 4 too. Everything works well, I do have to delete the cache after each game as otherwise there’s photos from the gallery on my OneDrive - but I don’t mind doing that.

Recently though every now and again after playing on one device when I turn on my other Windows 11 device I get a notification from OneDrive saying it’s saved another copy of a version file of a save from The Sims 4.

When I go onto my saves under EA folder I can see the main save and then the previous .VER files for the save.

In this case I could see the updated .VER file after playing The Sims 4 and an identical copy with the device I’ve just switched on with .COPY after .VER.

I just delete the copy and everything works fine.

Does anyone else use OneDrive for The Sims 4?
  • "Caerfinon;c-18336531" wrote:
    "Alexy;d-1012217" wrote:
    Does anyone else use OneDrive for The Sims 4?

I use OneDrive extensively to back up and replicate data between several computers. In relationship to the Sims4 I find that setting OneDrive into pause mode prior to launching any game that stores data in the Documents folder prevents any issues in game play. Once I've finished playing I take OneDrive out of pause mode and let the data sync freely. I have never experienced any data loss or file corruption using this method.

If you do not want OneDrive backing up your game data, there is an option to stop it from syncing the Documents folder while still syncing individual selected folders. See the OneDrive settings for details.

That’s interesting, thank you. Do you ever get on another PC ‘a duplicate copy of this file was made’ ?
  • "GalacticGal;c-18336569" wrote:
    I'm still learning about OneDrive. This gaming laptop is very new and I hated the Cloud, originally, as I keep getting popups asking if I want to delete or restore. If I put stuff in my trash can, generally, I mean for it to be deleted. Of course, I accidentally slid my saves folder and it appeared to go nowhere. I was almost sick. That was my Cantrell saves file! Then I saw an error message at the top of something, so I clicked on it. It opened up the Cloud, again mentioning an error. So, I scrolled down the list of items hoping to see which one was flagged. Nothing. But then I saw what was obviously save files, lots of them. I quickly hit restore and Erik & Company was back. Now, I have mixed feelings about it. I don't like to be pestered and it's becoming a nuisance. LOL I do also back up the entire Sims 4 folder, to ensure I miss nothing. Did that just the other day. I'm also using a few copies of it to try to figure out just what is wrong in my game. Besides not having a Host show up for the Starlight Accolades Show, now Erik isn't getting any nominations. At all. :open_mouth: I have one more experiment to try and if that doesn't fix things, I will start a new save. Not to repeat my Erik saga, per se, but to allow me to play this nuclear family by having the five kids born in-game.

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. If you use OneDrive on just one laptop for The Sims 4 it works well. Lots of scratch files will go to the bin automatically and you’ll get a notification about this saying ‘you deleted a lot of files or restore’ and you’re right that you do have to go to recycle bin on OneDrive and delete the files again - bit annoying. Think of it as a recycling bin on your desktop which you then have to empty yourself once more.

You may also find if you loaded the gallery random photos of sims in your OneDrive photos, so I always deleted the thumbnail cache alongside so those photos don’t clog up my photos.

Hope this helps. The could works well, it just needs a bit of user intervention as it’s not the more sensible lol.