Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Would you like a spin-off?

Since the announcement of StrangerVille much has been debated in the community about whether the devs should add more story driven packs like this one to the main game or whether they should rather make them as stand alone games on the side.

Here is an example of the argumentation pro spin-off:
https://youtu.be/9n0IvjB7cr8

And here is the argumentation against:
https://twitter.com/Cinderellimouse/status/1100074069926526976

I would love to know what everyone thinks about it and see arguments for or against and/or alternatives. I think it's a very interesting topic.
  • I hated that Medieval was a spin-off for TS3 and that we couldn't use those assets in the main game (without cc at least, I know that there's cc versions of TS Medieval stuff that you can download) and always wished it had been part of the main game. I wouldn't buy any TS4 spin-offs, but if they keep making packs like Strangerville for the main game, I will.

The only spin-offs I liked were Castaway for DS and The Urbz on PS2, but those were made for consoles so I don't really count them. Spin-offs for PC would not appeal to me at all and I wouldn't buy a console game at this point because I barely use them now that I have a good computer. I'd prefer they just add things to the full game or not at all.
  • I'd buy a spin off IF it was set in a historical period of interest to me AND if the sandbox gameplay was good. Sims Medieval and Sims Castaway Stories were enjoyable games but the sandbox element after you finished the story was a let down in both cases. However, they would have to be absolutely committed to the historical period and make it as realistic as possible.
    atreya33
    Seasoned Veteran
    It depends on the context of the story. If it is a contemporary pack, I prefer it to be part of the main series so we can mix content from different packs. If it is a very specific setting which clashes with our modern day life (sims medieval but also into the future) , then I don't mind it being a spinoff.

A lot of people seem to compare strangerville to the sims medieval but there are some important differences. Sims medieval had more than just one story. You could choose between a lot of quests, with different approaches to most quests and the outcome may vary depending on the choices you make in the quest. We also had 10 heroes (you could compare them to 10 different jobs with tasks to perform). In my opinion it had more replay value than strangerville. The biggest flaw however was the absence of the sandbox gameplay.

But in general I hope most packs offer sandbox gameplay. An occasional pack with a story is fine but it should not become standard.
  • James does not speak for me. I prefer that producers' time and money be spent on things that are going to be used in my game. How many objects and clothes were not created for The Sims Medieval and never appeared in The Sims 3? Or exclusive content (rewards, etc.) from The Sims Stories we've never seen in The Sims 2?
    Even Mobile has exclusive stuff that makes me shake... I want that big juicer machine in my sims restaurant!
    icemanfresh
    Seasoned Newcomer
    I never bought the spinoffs, and seeing as they barely have enough labor and resources for this game, I'd rather have them focus on making TS4 better
    SheriSim
    Rising Vanguard
    I forgot to press the vote button before adding my text. It is NO spin-off.
  • The Sims Stories series was never as fleshed out as the regular game and the whole "Meant to be played a certain way" thing that the guy mentions would kill the game.
  • "Atreya33;c-16976997" wrote:
    It depends on the context of the story. If it is a contemporary pack, I prefer it to be part of the main series so we can mix content from different packs. If it is a very specific setting which clashes with our modern day life (sims medieval but also into the future) , then I don't mind it being a spinoff.

A lot of people seem to compare strangerville to the sims medieval but there are some important differences. Sims medieval had more than just one story. You could choose between a lot of quests, with different approaches to most quests and the outcome may vary depending on the choices you make in the quest. We also had 10 heroes (you could compare them to 10 different jobs with tasks to perform). In my opinion it had more replay value than strangerville. The biggest flaw however was the absence of the sandbox gameplay.

But in general I hope most packs offer sandbox gameplay. An occasional pack with a story is fine but it should not become standard.

I think the comparison to Medieval is that people don't want story-drive elements in their games and wouldn't want to feel forced to buy it. The size of Medieval would be an Expansion Pack, not a GP. And, I would love if we had a Medieval EP in Sims 3, with time travel if needed, including all the quests and stuff, but with the free sandbox after all story-driven had ended. Maybe in Sims 4? Lets see... Maybe after they add University and all other things. Would be a cool pack to introduce Witches or other Occults.
  • I wouldn't mind to see the Sims Castaway, MySims, or the Urbz return. Nice for there to be more kid-friendly and different gaming system options rather than just make the main series of games be catered towards being E for everyone friendly and story driven and catered for laptops. I could also see a side game like Castaway do really well in VR being quests and exploration driven. Also if I wanted to play a MMO, I wouldn't play the Sims, I'd play a MMO like Guild Wars 2 or even Minecraft that is open world and encourages exploring.