Forum Discussion

Chojrak75321
Seasoned Novice
6 years ago

Travel oriented spin-off

Many simmers love to explore tombs, new worlds in Sims 3, or vacation themed places like in The Sims 2 Bon Voyage.
I was thinking that these 3 ingredients would make a great game. It surely wouldn't be like any previous The Sims game, but it would be nice spin-off like The Sims Medieval or The Sims Castaway Stories.

Some of my ideas for this game:

• more worlds from different continents, not only USA like. For example, Venice-styled town with canals, Inuit-styled settlement, Chille-styled small town high in the mountains with goats at hills, Myanmar settlement with golden tiled temple, some settlement in Nepal with monastery with made-up religion similiar to buddism or something, etc.
  • every world would has unique habits, traditions, clothes. Sims in every settlement would maintain traditions by organizing some rites, ceremonies, etc.
  • game would be focused on discovering local habits and traditions by sims which freshly arrived in that area. After they adapt in that environment and get locals' trust, they would maintain traditions too.
  • worlds would be small but open, and with possibility to change terrain in some way and creating own world with it's own culture and history.
  • in every world would be something more like a settlement, than a town or city.
  • it would be possible to travel/move to another world
  • if you gain locals' trust, they may give you key to some tomb or temple
  • If this game would has expansion packs, some of worlds in them would be more focused on discovering tombs, some of them would be more vacation-relax like, and some of them would be focused on caring about traditions.
  • a lot of ethnic and oriental patterns which could be colour-customisated.

Now, I know these sounds a little bit weird, but come on... We have already 4 parts of game, that are focused mostly on getting rich, building a huge mansion, surround your sims with luxury, and so on. This is not everyone's goal. Let's try to break out of this consumptionistic circle.

This game could be like National Geographic and Tomb Raider in one. Games in you can explore tombs usually end after you grab treasure, kill boss, or escape monsters. Life simulator with possibility to explore tombs, discovering and caring about local environments and maintaining traditions, would not only arouse curiosity in foreign cultures in people, but also give some adrenaline while exploring tombs. Also social bonding aspect would learn a lot, especially kids. It's better idea than creating another game which is focused on surrounding your sims by material goods, which is clearly visible especially in picture-perfect-obsessed Sims 4.

I guess if worlds would be small, it would be not difficult for EA to create game like that.
What do you think about this idea? Would you play it?
Have you more ideas of what it would look like?
  • Yeah a unique world would be nice, more asian-oriented or japanese world, or real desert world without oasis. such as arabic or africa, france or united kingdom-ish world would be good addition too. or go extreme like dragon valley-like world.
  • I like this concept. But the one problem I have with it is that it would be treating other peoples homes as 'exotic'

TS4 needs more non-US themed worlds for sims to live in, and a game like what you're suggesting would need to include US themed travel locations.

It would also be pretty cool if you could load your TS4 sim families into it, to take them for a trip around the world.
  • Great idea. We need more culturally diverse worlds and vacation destinations in The Sims 4. More stuff like Jungle Adventure.

However, that's in The Sims 4. What you're suggesting is a spin-off of The Sims games, using The Sims 4's engine, like the previous spin-offs.

It's a hard concept to sell as a spin-off of The Sims, and I'm not sure you realize what you're asking for.

The previous spin-offs didn't do well. They were both create-your-own-adventure styled, with very linear paths (though Medieval arguably did do this better than Castaway Stories). They were both made using the current (at the time) Sims' engine, meaning they still had the same restrictions as the current Sims title. They both confused players with their own drawbacks - that being, the departure of the normal formula. People wanted to play-out Robinson Caruso or King Arthur's Camelot. They wanted to play The Sims in settings that were not really possible in the normal game. They did not want a pre-set story tree to follow with certain key characters and events.
  • It seems Sims 4 is like in halfway. I don't know if it's not too late to introduce different culture worlds in the sims 4. :frowning: EA is making them usually as vacation worlds in which sims cannot live. Would be cool if some not-american worlds would be possible to live in, but also had specific traditions.

This idea is not only about making some exotic/european/oriental places visually, but also reflecting local habits, etc. For example, some world would have one unique welcome gesture, one tradicional dance, and one specific feast or festival, or something like that.

Exploring tombs would be great way to enrich gameplay in very old towns. Sims introduced into town should be treated by game as newcomers, cause it would has no sense, if they would be locals and knew everything about town from the beginning. It would be more casual game, than campain-like.

@JennyNoelle I know, it's kinda lame that medieval and Castaway Stories had very narrow way to develop character, history and change places visually. I wrote about spin-off because I doubt EA will make game completly different than previous The Sims main titles (not spin-offs). The problem is, spin-offs seems to have much lower budged than main The Sims games, which cause EA is making them campain-style game which (I suppose) is less timeconsuming to create.