Forum Discussion

cisquared212
Seasoned Newcomer
6 days ago

EC:204 when trying to play offline

I, like many others, am running into the "the game license has expired" error when trying to play offline despite owning this game for the better part of 7 years. 

I've tried all the troubleshooting steps and it reached the point where EA support told me to post here so...here I am. 

• This is so frustrating.  Tried to play my game today in offline mode but could not.  With Origin, you didn't even need to be connected to the internet to play offline.  With the EA app, one has to log in and then go to offline mode to get it to work. 

I was one of the unfortunate ones to personally experience the For Rent's disastrous broken save debacle (as well as other bugs associated with that pack) and now this happens.   I'm not going to update my game until the Reaper's Reward Event is over.   So, it would be nice if someone would please address and fix this.  

Already added my comment on this to EA Answers HQ: Error Code 204 - Game Licensed Expired

If they have decided to remove offline mode as a playable option, please let us know.  

Frenchussay
      Newcomer

My current solution for this is: I open EA & steam online. Once open the game, I unplug my internet. Then the game is offline. Hope this helps anyone.

littlebonnieblue
      Seasoned Scout

Quote by Frenchussay

My current solution for this is: I open EA & steam online. Once open the game, I unplug my internet. Then the game is offline. Hope this helps anyone.

Frenchussay  That definitely does work for those who play offline; so, thank you.   Sadly, they will probably try to find a way to remove this feature if they can.   

I was trying to avoid having Baby Grim in the upper left hand corner.  Yet, there he is in all his annoying glory 🤣.  I'm just going to ignore Baby Grim until he goes away. 

simantha79924
    Seasoned Newcomer

I have the same problem and tried a lot . My solution for now: go  online in your EA App, , then disconnect your computer from the internet and you can start your game 

dewata15
      Seasoned Newcomer

I tried it but still get the same error

• I'm having the same problem. I thought updating my game should fix it, but no. If EA is planning to force me to play online, I will unfortunately quite my 10 years long TS4 journey right away. Hoping it is a glitch related o the grim adventure thing they are running.

(now, where can I claim my refund if the grim thing is preventing me from using the product they sold me?) 

dewata15
    Seasoned Newcomer

I have the same issue now, cant play my own game. Cmon ea

Jeminemz
    Seasoned Novice

I had the same problem  wouldnt load due to license expiry. Couldnt play for weeks. Ea was no help.. I found more help here in the forums and reddit. 

But none of their suggestions helped. What helped me was ugrading my operating system. Im guessing the Legacy Edition might be the fault but also the actual license folder did not download on to my pc. 

I have 2 games installed from ea.. And only had one license in the folder.  Now i have 2. 

Like why cant ea just go through the files and add a friggin license for those who cant play. Its free anyways

• I am having this same problem, since being forced to update a few days ago..

I did as the message suggested, went back online in the EA App, started the game, all good, set EA Appp to play offline as I always do. Fail., as soon as I save and exit, want to restart the game, the same error appears, wash rinse repeat, fail.

I have even gone to the extent of deleteing EA license DB.package files and restarting the game online. Total fail there.

I have put a post on EA Answers regarding this and no help from the EA experts at all there.

As far as I can tell this is a major problem with EA, not a problem we have made.  And things are just getting worse with every attempt EA make to fix it.

• I'm able to play offline again today! Seems the problem was fixed, thanks EA!