Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Chalmers' 8h task

The real task name is "catch some DINNERRRR"! Because he goes to the pond to catch fish. :wink:
  • It's 'Catch Some "DINNERRRR!"'

You're right that this particular translation is somewhat off ('Das DINNERRRR! fangen' would be more accurate), but overall I'm pleasantly surprised with the German language version. It's so good that it never even occurred to me to try to find out how to switch languages. As a veteran Simpsons fan who remembers the early seasons of the show, for which the translations of the dialogue were made by a Ivar Combrinck, whose command of the English language always seemed somewhat shaky, and who never hesitated to take great liberties with the material he was working with - who would forget the legendary confusion of "Experience" and "Experiments" or the "translation" of 'Steve Guttenberg' as 'Michael Jackson' (no joke, sadly) - I still can't quite believe that the German language version of something Simpsons-related is actually really good.

Edit: Another legendary Combrinck-mistranslation I just have to share, this one from Futurama: The correctly used "Control-Alt-Delete" became the nonsensical "Alternativkontrolllöschung" ("Alternative Control Deletion"). That was the one that made the man a legend among German Simpsons and Futurama fans on the internet at the time. Not a legend in a good way, though...
  • MrWhiplash82 wrote:
    That was the one that made the man a legend among German Simpsons and Futurama fans on the internet at the time. Not a legend in a good way, though...

We have a special word for that: Infamous. Means famous for badness. Often used for really terrible people like mass murderers and such, but being a legend in a bad way would qualify. :-)
  • neuroheart wrote:
    We have a special word for that: Infamous.

Thank you for teaching me a new word I never heard of before.
  • MrWhiplash82 wrote:
    It's 'Catch Some "DINNERRRR!"'

You're right that this particular translation is somewhat off ('Das DINNERRRR! fangen' would be more accurate), but overall I'm pleasantly surprised with the German language version. It's so good that it never even occurred to me to try to find out how to switch languages. As a veteran Simpsons fan who remembers the early seasons of the show, for which the translations of the dialogue were made by a Ivar Combrinck, whose command of the English language always seemed somewhat shaky, and who never hesitated to take great liberties with the material he was working with - who would forget the legendary confusion of "Experience" and "Experiments" or the "translation" of 'Steve Guttenberg' as 'Michael Jackson' (no joke, sadly) - I still can't quite believe that the German language version of something Simpsons-related is actually really good.

Edit: Another legendary Combrinck-mistranslation I just have to share, this one from Futurama: The correctly used "Control-Alt-Delete" became the nonsensical "Alternativkontrolllöschung" ("Alternative Control Deletion"). That was the one that made the man a legend among German Simpsons and Futurama fans on the internet at the time. Not a legend in a good way, though...

Wow very nice
  • Hey thank you all for answering! And especially to MrWhiplash82 for sharing this anecdotes. I noticed some grammatical errors in the latest update (German version: "sie" instead of "Sie" ). Hope EA will keep up the good work they did up to now. I'll try mailing them, perhaps they can change the name of the task permanently. It keeps irritating me.
  • In the Brazilian(Portuguese) version of the game we also have this problem.

It says: Go to Dinneeeeeeeeeeeer.

But then I saw him go to the pond. And I was like :shock:

• philiweiss wrote:
    Hey thank you all for answering! And especially to MrWhiplash82 for sharing this anecdotes. I noticed some grammatical errors in the latest update (German version: "sie" instead of "Sie" ). Hope EA will keep up the good work they did up to now. I'll try mailing them, perhaps they can change the name of the task permanently. It keeps irritating me.

If it makes you feel any better, there have been plenty of grammatical errors in English too, so it's not *just* the translation.