Forum Discussion

4 years ago

First day in 10 years without logging in…

I just realised that after downloading the Simpsons Tapped Out back in about July 2012, I think I have logged into the game at least once every day since.

I’ve gone from the early glitches of buying land that disappeared, constant game crashes, instability, the frustration of high donut prices, lack of confidence of updates - to a somewhat more stable game (thanks to updated devices and simpler event gameplay), more frequent updates, the ability to make your own donuts and the satisfaction of putting a lot of work into designing a town to be proud of. I guess I was one of the lucky ones that I have not had many historical log in problems (like many have) and my device and gameplay has been somewhat stable throughout the life of the game.

Sure the game is not perfect, the events are rather mundane and pedestrian in regards of getting the new content - but the game is therapeutic to me. There’s something just relaxing and satisfying about logging in every day after work and giving your Springfield a bit of a tap. I’ve bought donuts. I’ve also farmed to increase my multiplier. I was lucky enough to get the golden goose. I cleared the yearbook. I had a big town that I’ve spent so much time on. All that was left was to add the new content that each event provides and work towards my goal of achieving maximum currency (I was sitting at just over 3.5 billion). My town was full but I was able to rearrange some things to make room for the new content in this event. The game gets interesting when there’s an event on and there is more stuff to add to your town.

Sure, there may have been some days in the last 10 years when I did not log in (when I’ve travelled or been away with no internet access) - but those days would have been very few. In fact I can barely remember how many times I was unable to log in, if at all. I think I’ve always logged in at least once.

BUT - that all changed today.

Today was the first day in 10 years I could not log in. The game randomly logged me out, and to log in it needs to send the infamous verification code to my now inactive email address from 2012 which I have no longer access to. Yes, many have this problem. The verification codes cannot be retrieved from an email account I can’t open anymore. Even to change your email you need a code which is sent to your old email…

So the realisation is - LIFE GOES ON. It seems strange not to be able to access my town today - somethings just missing in my life. Was I addicted? I didn’t think so - but playing this game everyday was just a way of life. Now that I can’t get in its strange. Will I ever be able to get back in? Maybe, but who knows. Now I can’t. Yes, it’s just a game. Just a phone game. But when you’ve been playing it every day for the last 10 years, having it taken away is so weird. COVID has taken away so much this past few years it seemed inevitable that it would take this game as well too.

Oh well - there is much more important things in life than just a phone game - but this darn email verification has taken away a simple joy so many of us have.

Fingers crossed the next update takes the verification away. But at the same time - it’s nice to have the realisation that life still goes on without being able to log into tapped out every day - I might be able to use my daily tapping time to do something more productive (even though my daily tapped out logins were my relax and unwind time)

Life goes on…