Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Online Petition: Reduce login time

Time measurements on iPhone 4S, sitting right next to a 100Mbit access point:

Login screen #1: Duration from a fresh game start until 'Tap to continue': 22-24sec (spinning Donut only, not including the 5-6sec Gracie Films/FOX Logo)
    Login screen #2: Duration from 'Tap to continue' until Springfield appears: 16sec
    Re-login from iOS home screen with App still running in the background: 20sec
    Switching from Springfield to Krustyland and vice versa: 8-10sec

• paulzuk wrote:
    My suspicion is it's more to do with content compared to a large friend request list. I say this because I currently have 54 friend requests that I have ignored and have no issues. Saying that, I plan on deleting them after reading what was said here. Just in case.

54 is quite a lot but there was people on here who had lists of over 200 people thats where the issues really start to come into play :lol:

Log in time are mainly due to connecting to the EA Servers mainly, plus if you have a complex town it will take longer to connect or at least thats my theory ;)
  • NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Skyrim-mrp wrote:
    I heard if you have to many invites or friends pending can cause your game to slow down. Have a quick look at ur invites and pending in game. If not download origin for the computer

+1

Totally agree, the pending friend requests can cause major issues for sure, this was meant to be sorted a while back but people still say even now that deleting loads of requests has helped their game :)

When your game isnt running right it is always worth a shot :)

I never knew that! So I go to orgin and I can download it and approve or delete?? I have 81 pending requests but can't access them from the game it won't let me.
  • God forbid you have to wait 45 seconds to play a game on a miniature computer that fits in your pocket and downloads your town in less than a minute from servers that are located in a different part of the world than you. In under a minute.

I love overpriviledged people whining about first world problems. Please, continue. :)

I personally vote no. I'd rather have new updates at the current speed than make the programmers spend their time making sure I can get into my town 20 seconds faster.
  • I think it's mostly a device issue. The older the device the longer it takes. I had to get the iPod Touch 4 just to continue to play. I was using my iPod Touch 2 and upgraded to 4 just to continue playing the game. My sister didn't upgrade for a while after, and thus couldn't partake in Halloween, Thanksgiving before they allowed her to reaccess at Christmas. Then she updated at Christmas to gen 4 and has had no issues.

That said, Tapped Out is best played on the newest devices.
  • mpwarner wrote:
    no one on here works for ea. we are just enthusiastic players sharing out experiences and advice

I forgot about that, I presumed he would be sending it off or something!

• dr-tolli-oli wrote:
    paulzuk wrote:
    TSTO takes less than 45 seconds to get in my game. I always assumed the game is booting up when we open it, no different to a pc.

45 seconds are a very long startup time for a mobile app. Did that really never bother you? Your comparison with booting a PC points out exactly the design flaw: Booting a whole operating system is obviously a much bigger task than loading such a game. Would you accept it if any other app needed as long to start, let's say Google maps (for comparison with the Springfield map)?

Reading that pending friend requests slow down the login process in such a significant way sounds ridiculous to me. Is there anything to be done with pending(!) friends outside the manage friends screen in the Origin section?

TSTO has so much potential for optimizations. And that's exactly what I'm asking for.

To be honest, it never bothered me. In fact, I never considered the time it takes until I saw your thread. Also, I stated just under 45 seconds, I should have been a little more specific. On average, I wait 30-45 seconds for my game to boot. I assumed a bulk of the time it takes involves logging into Origin and reading your last save in order to open the game. No matter what it is, it's not a big issue to wait 1/2 a minute. I'm afraid I don't share your anger concerning this. However, I totally agree about seeing potential and a desire to refine the game. Nothing at all wrong with wanting better.

NeoSEC28 wrote:
    paulzuk wrote:
    My suspicion is it's more to do with content compared to a large friend request list. I say this because I currently have 54 friend requests that I have ignored and have no issues. Saying that, I plan on deleting them after reading what was said here. Just in case.

54 is quite a lot but there was people on here who had lists of over 200 people thats where the issues really start to come into play :lol:

Log in time are mainly due to connecting to the EA Servers mainly, plus if you have a complex town it will take longer to connect or at least thats my theory ;)

Yes, I agree. Whether or not it's a mobile device or a pc, it's a computer and computer's need to read information in order to perform a task. I think my device is simply doing that.

By the way, I have deleted my friend requests though and found no difference in boot up time.

HomerSwapMeet wrote:
    paulzuk wrote:
    Personally, it takes me longer to log into this forum compared with the game. On average, it takes me 2 minutes to go from log in screen back to the forum. TSTO takes less than 45 seconds to get in my game. I always assumed the game is booting up when we open it, no different to a pc. Some pc games can take a while to boot up, especially if you have extra content.

You forgot the peace.

You can't see the wood because of the trees. :lol: See below. I gots me a fancy siggy that I made all by myself. :D
  • NeoSEC28 wrote:
    paulzuk wrote:

Yupp neo.... since I discovered item art my android tablet boot time into tsto is double..... nearly 20 seconds now but I am a fair way off 100% of terrain.

I always assumed that bigger more complicated map would mean longer access time...... seems logical to me

Cheers
  • Can also depend on your internet connection, if your using a mobile device and using your network internet that can also at times slow the loading down, today at work when I tried playing it, it was stuck on the loading screen for about a minute, I exited the app then opened again and logged-in pretty quickly.

Most of the time it's probably just downloading your town, although I would have thought more of it would be stored on your device to save download time, makes me wonder what they actually save to your device?