Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Galactic Challenge Modifier Oddity

Why put the Clan Loyalty modifier which is centered around counter attacks then add The Odds which prevents counter attacks on the current GC event? The event is easy enough since we only need 4 Mandos but still seems odd to have these two modifiers paired together.
  • "th3evo;c-2256428" wrote:
    The modifiers are tied to the faction. Mandos always get The Code and Rebels always get The Odds. It's only a problem when the two modifiers meet. It's not like they did it on purpose.

You think the events are randomized? The matchups and feats are chosen specifically, it’s not random. Meaning someone paired them up against eachother, fully aware of what each modifier does.

I’m not complaining though, I guess it’s a way to artificially increase the difficulty. But let’s be honest, it’s not the mandos doing the heavy lifting anyways.
  • "HandSolo93;c-2256444" wrote:
    "th3evo;c-2256428" wrote:
    The modifiers are tied to the faction. Mandos always get The Code and Rebels always get The Odds. It's only a problem when the two modifiers meet. It's not like they did it on purpose.

You think the events are randomized? The matchups and feats are chosen specifically, it’s not random. Meaning someone paired them up against eachother, fully aware of what each modifier does.

I’m not complaining though, I guess it’s a way to artificially increase the difficulty. But let’s be honest, it’s not the mandos doing the heavy lifting anyways.

"th3evo;c-2256451" wrote:
    "HandSolo93;c-2256444" wrote:

There are some rules for the GCs but other than that I'm pretty sure they are randomized. I don't think there is an employee who chooses what combination of modifiers, feats and teams we get. Otherwise I doubt we'd get some of the easy GCs.

This. They are not picked manually, while random is a little overly simplified, it basically is. They have things they try to avoid, and are most likely just not allowed to pair or be selected against a certain choice for the players or vise versa depending on which is chosen first.

That is part of the tools they built and are using for these kinds of systems, they wanted it to be less hands on when it runs, but also not be "the same" each time like events of the past.
  • The modifiers are tied to the faction. Mandos always get The Code and Rebels always get The Odds. It's only a problem when the two modifiers meet. It's not like they did it on purpose.
  • "HandSolo93;c-2256444" wrote:

There are some rules for the GCs but other than that I'm pretty sure they are randomized. I don't think there is an employee who chooses what combination of modifiers, feats and teams we get. Otherwise I doubt we'd get some of the easy GCs.
  • "Straegen;d-244708" wrote:
    Why put the Clan Loyalty modifier which is centered around counter attacks then add The Odds which prevents counter attacks on the current GC event? The event is easy enough since we only need 4 Mandos but still seems odd to have these two modifiers paired together.

I'd agree with you if the feat was for counterattacking, but there are a lot of ways to attack out of turn that don't involve counterattacks. Jedi, Resistance, Geonosians, Nightsisters after one death, Imperial Troopers, several Rebel teams. There's lots of ways. Those are just off the top of my head.
  • "Kyno;c-2256485" wrote:

This. They are not picked manually, while random is a little overly simplified, it basically is. They have things they try to avoid, and are most likely just not allowed to pair or be selected against a certain choice for the players or vise versa depending on which is chosen first.

That is part of the tools they built and are using for these kinds of systems, they wanted it to be less hands on when it runs, but also not be "the same" each time like events of the past.

Coming back to this discussion afer today's GC I'm starting to doubt the "random" part.
  • "th3evo;c-2257625" wrote:
    "Kyno;c-2256485" wrote:

Coming back to this discussion afer today's GC I'm starting to doubt the "random" part.

correct, they do make them with some semblance of a schedule when introducing a new faction or toons. but other than that, the whole point of this is that it doesn't need each little setting made by a dev. as I said, Random" is an oversimplification.