Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Good surprises and bad surprises

In the last few days we have seen this word "surprise" pop up a lot. But here's the thing about surprise teasers: there are good and bad ways of using them.
The weekly update that Jesse puts out is a good place for surprise teasers. They are about future content. Nobody knows really anything about this, and in general we aren't supposed to know. Any teasing that happens here is bonus information and so not likely to make people unhappy.
Then there's what is going on with the Yoda event -- where we were set up to believe it would have a 1 week on / 3 week off cycle, but now it just says "RETURNING SOON" and @CG_AaronNemoyten answered repeated questions about what this means with "sorry, no spoiling surprises!". This is NOT a good place for a surprise teaser. Why? Because you are changing something that is already established, without telling them what the change is or when it will happen. It doesn't lead to anticipation, it leads to irritation.
Furthermore, getting "it's a surprise" as an answer to a direct question makes people feel like they are being treated like children. We have been playing a half-completed, expensive, low-content game patiently, some of us now for 4 or even 6 months. We have earned the right to respectful answers to respectful questions. Not patronizing and evasion.
Then there's the surprise mentioned in the patch notes. This one is sort of in the middle, I guess. It could be something entirely new and could build a bit of excitement. But with no information at all provided, it won't build much. This is a lost opportunity because it came in a set of patch notes with what people feel is bad news: increased gear requirements. It would have been nice if this teaser had been specific enough to actually help balance the perception of the patch.
TL;DR: Surprises and teasers are great for new additions to the game. They are very much not great when applied to things that already exist. And they don't do much of use when they come with zero information attached.
  • I bet the surprise is Jar Jar given April 1st is tonorrow.

Of course, if it is Jar Jar, they've done a good job keeping him from the dataminers.

Oh...but what you said was spot on.
  • "chainsaw;247707" wrote:
    "JoshG;247685" wrote:
    "chainsaw;247678" wrote:
    They are "update notes"....not intended to be a stomping ground for whiners...I'm grateful they even provide us with these notes. If they wanted your input on the "update notes" I'm pretty sure they would state that in the notes...just saying.

And if they didn't want our input, why did they create this forum....just sayin.

It's called "GENERAL" discussion....not "give us your feedback/input" section

So you're opting to whine about people whining? And now trying to start an argument. I came here to learn someone's opinions on this "surprise" and all I can see is you complaining about their complaint. Seriously, please stop trying to hijack the thread.
  • "Boxandthefuzz;247712" wrote:
    The Dev team be dodging questions like they're lead by Dooku.

Lmao!
  • Dont want to be a troll, but if the surprise will be any new content, then im sure, it will be bugged - and this by far wont be a surprise anymore ... (Sorry for that, but i just got really bad experience with "surprises" coming from game-developers.)
  • "chainsaw;247707" wrote:
    "JoshG;247685" wrote:
    "chainsaw;247678" wrote:
    They are "update notes"....not intended to be a stomping ground for whiners...I'm grateful they even provide us with these notes. If they wanted your input on the "update notes" I'm pretty sure they would state that in the notes...just saying.

And if they didn't want our input, why did they create this forum....just sayin.

Yet they created a mega thread for update comments/discussion....
  • "chainsaw;247737" wrote:
    "JoshG;247725" wrote:
    "chainsaw;247707" wrote:
    "JoshG;247685" wrote:
    "chainsaw;247678" wrote:

So use it

Does this thread offend you? Seems like you've made it your personal goal to tear this specific thread down. Some horrible past experience with it involving some type of abuse?

• By the way they have pushed the direction of the game the surprise might be a new super pack, spend a mere $2000 and you get access to a $250 pack that gives 50 CUP shards or a chance to see a Star Wars trailer.
  • @JonWonKenobi There is already another thread about the coming update-notes, i believe, this thread here is focused on the use of the word "surprise" in update-notes/official informations in general. imo its better to say nothing at all instead of a "surprise" is coming.
  • "BoMbSh0cK;247747" wrote:
    "chainsaw;247737" wrote:
    "JoshG;247725" wrote:
    "chainsaw;247707" wrote:
    "JoshG;247685" wrote:
    "chainsaw;247678" wrote:

So use it

Does this thread offend you? Seems like you've made it your personal goal to tear this specific thread down.

Now let's be fair - he tore down another one that's already been "take care of" by the mods. He's an equally opportunity kinda guy - he's fair like that.
  • "chainsaw;247761" wrote:
    "BoMbSh0cK;247747" wrote:
    "chainsaw;247737" wrote:
    "JoshG;247725" wrote:
    "chainsaw;247707" wrote:
    "JoshG;247685" wrote:
    "chainsaw;247678" wrote:

So use it

Does this thread offend you? Seems like you've made it your personal goal to tear this specific thread down. Some horrible past experience with it involving some type of abuse?

Nope...i pretty much live a "complaint" free lifestyle

Yet here you are complaining about other peoples complaints.You could just not be bothered with what someone complains about a game on a game forum but instead you make it your job to keep harassing that person? If you don't like what the OP says just go elsewhere instead of wasting your precious time here unless of course you are a paid troll in which case F You.