Forum Discussion

7 years ago

How to Be a Proper Whale

I try not to spend too much on this game, although I justify the minor expenditures I make on the fact that I've been playing pretty much every day for two years now. It's like a legit hobby. ...Huh, I maybe need a more productive hobby.

Well, that aside, I do get iTunes gift cards from time to time and I save them up. The holidays are coming! So let's say I end up with a bunch of gift cards I could throw into this: I wouldn't even know what to do to maximize my expenditures!

Should I spend it 100% on crystals? If so, what do I use the crystals for?
Refreshes? ...That just seems impatient. Wait a bit, and you don't have to spend a penny on this.
Gear? Also impatient, but some gear is REALLY hard to get. Maybe ONLY on gear that can't be easily farmed the natural way?
Character or ship shards? For some characters and ships, this is the only way to get them (remember when Darth Vader was the ONLY character you couldn't get? And even he dropped shards for achievements? Ahh, the days before the money-grubbing...)

Or should I buy chromium packs or mega-packs? To be honest, those seem like quite a gamble and probably a waste. The one time I ever bought one (I saved up crystals forever!) it was one of those "you could earn 5-330 shards!" and I got 10. Wanted to punch the wall and haven't bought one since.

So. If you were going to spend on the game (or for those of you who have and are happy with what you got out of it), what's the optimal way to get your money's worth, d'ye think?

Thanks for the advice. If you think I oughta take my iTunes cards and buy some songs or apps with them instead (e.g., there IS nothing in the game that gives a worthwhile payout, save my money), that's a viable answer as well. All opinions on this are appreciated! =)

Sam UX
  • If you've been playing every day for two years, I don't think you'll get much value in the chromium packs as you probably have a deep roster everyone seven star toons. So you can rule that out.

I usually go refreshes, they got me a lot farther than I thought they would.
  • There are whales and large marine mammals. I fashion myself as the latter. I (sometimes regrettably) buy crystals for refreshes so I can play more, etc. In my opinion dropping large amounts of crystals for packs, etc only encrourages the game developers to raise the bar even higher and make more and more content pay-to-play which ultimately costs everyone from whales to guppies more.
  • So... only refreshes is what I'm hearing. Better refreshes than, say, Veteran Smuggler Han shards, which can only be gotten through the shard shop? Sirlagzalott, I totally get what you're saying about not wanting to encourage devs to keep making things pay to play. TOTALLY. But I have a feeling I can't really stop them, LOL.
  • Refreshes and gear. The black/gold pieces (25 salvage for 375 crystals) that pair with the gold challenge pieces we have thousands of are your best gear value.
  • Gear . Buy gear . You should have plenty of crystals from arenas for refreshes.

Buy mods too .
  • Dont spend anything where there is a gamble..you will always regret it. I buy gear, and occassional packs when i need a panic farm boost.