Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Territory Wars pairings

Can anyone give me some sort of idea of how the pairings for Territory Wars works? The last 3 TW’s my guild has been paired against another guild with over 10 million gp more than us. This time, it’s 21 million more gp. I absolutely love TW, but pairings like these make it far less enjoyable.
  • "CG_Kozispoon;d-152776" wrote:

While some of the community has expressed concern over matchmaking, we’d like to detail the following:

• The Active GP bracket only determines the rewards for the guild. This does not factor into matchmaking.
    • Matchmaking is based on a variety of factors including the GP of units that can participate

• "Kyno;c-1433311" wrote:
    "CG_Kozispoon;d-152776" wrote:

While some of the community has expressed concern over matchmaking, we’d like to detail the following:

• The Active GP bracket only determines the rewards for the guild. This does not factor into matchmaking.
    • Matchmaking is based on a variety of factors including the GP of units that can participate

To be frank, that’s a quite useless response.

Q: How does a car’s engine work?
    A: You press the gas pedal with your foot.

We understand that our guild’s active GP dictates the reward bracket. What we don’t understand is what the variety of other factors includes, because at times the pairings seem pretty lopsided.
  • 10 mil difference here yet again for us..
    Yet again another loss coming...
    No stratergy around this as we have tried and tried on all the other tws, match making is stupid.
    Time to set and walkaway
  • A 21 million GP gap in territory war is similar to a power 5 college football team playing against a high school team. Complete nonsense. It probably isn’t even fun for the team that’s getting that advantage. It isn’t even a test, and it surely isn’t getting them better.
  • I suspect the pairings are generated the same way Raid finishes are decided when everyone solos...completely random. If 20 guildmates solo I may get 15-20th place 100 times in a row...it sucks, there is no other explanation than RNG, but what can they do about it and how do you explain to me that I got 15-20 place rewards 100 solos in a row?
  • "Naw;c-1434168" wrote:
    "Kyno;c-1433311" wrote:
    "CG_Kozispoon;d-152776" wrote:

To be frank, that’s a quite useless response.

Q: How does a car’s engine work?
    A: You press the gas pedal with your foot.

We understand that our guild’s active GP dictates the reward bracket. What we don’t understand is what the variety of other factors includes, because at times the pairings seem pretty lopsided.

I am providing the information we have, sorry that's all we know right now.

A system like this is going to be complex and this will lead to a longer time to collect the necessary data to make adjustments. I would speculate they will not give us the actual details for many reasons, 1 being we don't actually need them, but the main reason being they wouldn't want people to try and work the system.

• I'd like to add to this. I'd like to start up with the positive. TW has been great for guild unity for us. We do very much enjoy it, and the rewards for losing are still pretty nice but...

My guild is also experiencing several TWs in a row now where we all sign in and face a sandbagging (presumably, although it could just be the algorithm) team of 10 or so million higher than us. Not surprisingly, we lose.

If a guild is winning repeatedly, it makes sense to pair higher. If a guild loses repeatedly, it does not make sense to keep beating down on them. It seems a simple solution is that losses and wins in TW should count towards the pairing algorithm. It could be nice to just forget pairing by show signs up, and just pair off go total guild GP. I do understand that there are downsides to that, such as inactive players, and people not always able to participate in a given 24 hour period.

Another thing that bugs me is what I perceive in a gap in declared intent and actual results. When TW was announced, a declared intent was that it would give people reason to level up their weaker characters and use them. In reality, that seems to be backfiring on people. As you level up more characters to 6k - 10k range, your and your guild GP go up. But all that seems to be doing is getting your guild paired against a handful more G12 super teams. No amount of 6-10k characters can beat a meta G12 team. I know character powers are a way to determine relative strengths. I presume it is part of the algorithm, but it doesn't seem to account very well for total GP versus G12 super characters very well.

I wonder if a possible solution to that is change it up to where you create squads, and the guild gets half assigned to offense and half to defense, and pair up squads by power, rather than let us pick. Again, it's an imperfect solution, as there is fun in the teamwork to assign squads to defense and working together in offense. More, I'm trying to throw out ideas to see if there are better solutions than what we are experiencing.

Please keep up the TW. Overall, it has been great for my guild. But I really think it could use some tweaks to be even better.

Game on.

DathEliza