Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Drain Force and Stun

I have a question that could be completely off the mark, redundant or obvious. But I thought I’d ask anyway, if only for my peace of mind.

I run EP(L), DV, DN, Tarkin, Shore. If all goes well, both EP and DN go early in the match and I nearly always opt for the stun and the drain. I’m wondering if the drain is useful once a toon is stunned. For the sake of the argument, I’ll assume all 5 opponents get stunned.

If a toon is stunned, he needs to run out his turn meter before the stun ends. If DN drains a stunned toon, his cooldown go from 0 (usually) to +1. But if the toon has to run out its turn meter anyway to get unstunned, and then again to take a turn, isn’t the cooldown back down to 0 by then? And the drain was pointless?

Of course, it still useful to increase cooldowns for those toons that didn’t get stunned, to deal damage and to reduce CD on Annihilate.

I hope I’m explaining the question well enough.
  • "Billcarson66;c-1482702" wrote:
    No, a stunned toon hasn’t taken a turn yet so when they become unstunned, their abilities are still increased.

You should be able to notice that anytime you have done this. They will open with a basic. Should someone not I feel the problem is we all play on 4x speed so can miss seeing an enemy not get it’s cooldowns increased.

Try a battle on 1x speed and really focus on the numbers and words on the screen. Arena is always the same for me and I pretty much only look at TM bars...the rest is just background, like driving, and I react accordingly.

Ummm wut? If stunned toon doesn't take a turn when it hits 100 percent TM how would it ever leave stun. Lol.
  • Its better to stun them before drain force so that DN doesnt get countered

Their cooldowns will decrease by 1 every time at 100%tm whether they are stunned or not, unlike what billcarson said above
  • No, a stunned toon hasn’t taken a turn yet so when they become unstunned, their abilities are still increased.

You should be able to notice that anytime you have done this. They will open with a basic. Should someone not I feel the problem is we all play on 4x speed so can miss seeing an enemy not get it’s cooldowns increased.

Try a battle on 1x speed and really focus on the numbers and words on the screen. Arena is always the same for me and I pretty much only look at TM bars...the rest is just background, like driving, and I react accordingly.
  • "SarahSinister;d-161469" wrote:
    I have a question that could be completely off the mark, redundant or obvious. But I thought I’d ask anyway, if only for my peace of mind.

I run EP(L), DV, DN, Tarkin, Shore. If all goes well, both EP and DN go early in the match and I nearly always opt for the stun and the drain. I’m wondering if the drain is useful once a toon is stunned. For the sake of the argument, I’ll assume all 5 opponents get stunned.

If a toon is stunned, he needs to run out his turn meter before the stun ends. If DN drains a stunned toon, his cooldown go from 0 (usually) to +1. But if the toon has to run out its turn meter anyway to get unstunned, and then again to take a turn, isn’t the cooldown back down to 0 by then? And the drain was pointless?

Of course, it still useful to increase cooldowns for those toons that didn’t get stunned, to deal damage and to reduce CD on Annihilate.

I hope I’m explaining the question well enough.

You are correct on this OP but always use his Force Drain if you have 5 stuns The no counters and junk is very useful
  • As others have said, you're right that it doesn't accomplish a great deal draining a stunned opponent in terms of delaying their cooldown. The real perk in your scenario, is that annihilate cooldown would be reduced by 5.

I used to run Palp under a Nihilus lead what seemed like forever ago, and I experimented saving "Drain Force" for the turn after stun. Ultimately, it made better sense getting that annihilate going sooner than later. Hope that helps.
  • I’m not sure about drain as opener in order to get Annihilate down as fast as possible. Drain + Basic gets the same reduction as Basic + Drain. But you leave DN open to Ability Block for 1 more turn. Anyway, stunning all 5 with EP happens once in a blue moon, so I think opening with Drain is definitely the best option.

Let me finish with something else.

Yesterday, I played against an almost mirror team (EP, DV, DN, Thrawn, ST). My DV was faster and debuffed the lot of them. My finger was hovering above the CB button, but then their DN drained and suddenly CB was on cooldown. It went downhill from there.

I don’t understand how DN could have got a turn before DV. DV definitely got off more than 4 debuffs which means under EP, he’s back at 100% turn. That means he moves instantly unless the enemy DN also had 100% and it’s random. I didn’t check the enemy DN’s speed before the game, but the only explanation I can think of is that somehow their DN was equally fast as DV which is pretty spectacular considering DV gets speed buffs from his team.

Is there another explanation?
  • "SarahSinister;c-1493939" wrote:

I don’t understand how DN could have got a turn before DV. DV definitely got off more than 4 debuffs which means under EP, he’s back at 100% turn. That means he moves instantly unless the enemy DN also had 100% and it’s random. I didn’t check the enemy DN’s speed before the game, but the only explanation I can think of is that somehow their DN was equally fast as DV which is pretty spectacular considering DV gets speed buffs from his team.

Is there another explanation?

Was Sion on opposing team? If so he gives DN turn metter every time debuff applies to him