Forum Discussion

6 years ago

"RNG" "Potency/Tenacity" I Don't Understand

I have played this game very casually for a long time and this is starting to tick me off

Lets look at Cad Banes stun ability, it will be the last step of a galactic war or say when i was completing 9 hard tier. If i stun and it does not apply to stun (they resisted it), i restart the fight and repeat, no matter how many times i do this it always gets resisted.

Now here is a direct example -
Enemy Composition; Grand Moff Tarkin, Vader, Kylo Wren Unmasked, Thrawn, Darth Maul.
My Compisition; Embo, Cad Bane, Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Dengar.

Cad Bane, is 85 XI with 4 Potency / 2 Speed mods.

Cad bane is my fastest unit in that comp, he went first so i went to stun Tarkin so that he would not debuff my team with Intimidation Tactic, it failed every single time, i tried 12 times.

Yet as soon as Tarkin gets the ability off and debuffs my entire team, i am able to stun him with Dengar's PERCENTAGE BASED stun.

This happens immensely, the same applies for specific debuffs like ability block, i do understand some comps can be more/enitrely resistant to debuffs, but i am referring to ones i even have and know are not, who usually have health or speeds mods.

Why even bother with Potency/Tenacity in PvE content if the fights are prescripted, honestly.
  • Unfortunately the RNG seed for GW is fixed so you can try as many times as you want but if you're using the same setup and moves, you will ALWAYS end up with the same result. No amount of retreating will change this. You can either switch up the team you're bringing in or maybe send in a different sacrificial team.
  • "Huatimus;c-1766632" wrote:
    Unfortunately the RNG seed for GW is fixed so you can try as many times as you want but if you're using the same setup and moves, you will ALWAYS end up with the same result. No amount of retreating will change this. You can either switch up the team you're bringing in or maybe send in a different sacrificial team.

"WhiteWolf_W3;c-1766664" wrote:
    Ehh that sucks, i just hate fixed stuff like that in a system that has statistics for deciphering such probabilities. It really creates a feeling of unfairness. Well now i know for sure, appreciate it. **** because the one ability kind of dictated the fight they dumpestered all my other squads, the ability was on like a 2 or 3 turn cooldown.

On the contrary, you can use the fact that the RNG result sequence is always the same to re-start repeatedly and try different action sequences until you find something that works. A bad roll for one action may be a good roll for a different action or an acceptable sacrificial failure.
  • First off, fights are not prescripted, secondly, you need to learn mods, using four potency mods and two speed mods on bane isn’t all the helpful. You would be better off with all six potency mods. That gives you three set bonuses, Speed set bonuses require four speed mods.

Third, Potency and tenacity work together. Higher potency means better chance to debuff, higher tenacity means higher chance to resist. This can be altered with mods. To increase your chances of landing a debuff.

For where you are playing at , Gw, table nine, It sounds like your main issue is your mods.
  • "GhostTruckin;c-1766629" wrote:
    First off, fights are not prescripted, secondly, you need to learn mods, using four potency mods and two speed mods on bane isn’t all the helpful. You would be better off with all six potency mods. That gives you three set bonuses, Speed set bonuses require four speed mods.

Third, Potency and tenacity work together. Higher potency means better chance to debuff, higher tenacity means higher chance to resist. This can be altered with mods. To increase your chances of landing a debuff.

For where you are playing at , Gw, table nine, It sounds like your main issue is your mods.

Yep, i'm in the process of re-modding everything as i was doing some reading about mods the other day. Originally i just had jumbled whatever and full 6's of health mods, however i've gotten to a point where i've been trying to climb in the Arena and realise mods are quite important.

"Huatimus;c-1766632" wrote:
    Unfortunately the RNG seed for GW is fixed so you can try as many times as you want but if you're using the same setup and moves, you will ALWAYS end up with the same result. No amount of retreating will change this. You can either switch up the team you're bringing in or maybe send in a different sacrificial team.

Ehh that sucks, i just hate fixed stuff like that in a system that has statistics for deciphering such probabilities. It really creates a feeling of unfairness. Well now i know for sure, appreciate it. Sucked because the one ability kind of dictated the fight they dumpestered all my other squads, the ability was on like a 2 or 3 turn cooldown.

• If you are using a BH team, thought about using Cad lead? +100% potency is not a bad lead at all when you can just as easily get all of those other huge bonuses like health and protection from mods. We'd all prefer speed sets than potency sets. +20 to +25 speed for each toon matters a lot. Modding for speed, health, protection, is far more reasonable to me than for potency by putting Cad as lead
  • "Mephisto_style;c-1767496" wrote:
    We'd all prefer speed sets than potency sets. +20 to +25 speed for each toon matters a lot.

Word of warning: speed mod bonuses are based off pre-modded speed, so they only add ~10-15 speed. I usually use whatever mods I get that have the highest speed secondaries, and use speed mods only if their secondaries are close enough to not lose more speed than the set gives me. Also, +30 potency can be a game changer if you’re having trouble with sticking debuffs.
  • "Dirty_Litle_Smuggler;c-1767585" wrote:
    "Mephisto_style;c-1767496" wrote:
    We'd all prefer speed sets than potency sets. +20 to +25 speed for each toon matters a lot.

Word of warning: speed mod bonuses are based off pre-modded speed, so they only add ~10-15 speed. I usually use whatever mods I get that have the highest speed secondaries, and use speed mods only if their secondaries are close enough to not lose more speed than the set gives me. Also, +30 potency can be a game changer if you’re having trouble with sticking debuffs.

Thanks! I did not.know that with the pre mod calculation.