Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Sim Height Scale

So, this is something that I've wanted for a while, especially for my teens.

I really think that when you create your sim, you should be able to set their height. I mean, we can do pretty much everything other than that body-wise, and while I understand that it might be hard to pull off, I don't like how everyone is the same height...
I think it should be a genetic thing too, since genetics is why I have to use a chair to reach the higher shelves :p
  • I always though sims 3 and sims 4 had a height option but it never happened.
  • "CATastrophsims;872695" wrote:
    So, this is something that I've wanted for a while, especially for my teens.

I really think that when you create your sim, you should be able to set their height. I mean, we can do pretty much everything other than that body-wise, and while I understand that it might be hard to pull off, I don't like how everyone is the same height...
    I think it should be a genetic thing too, since genetics is why I have to use a chair to reach the higher shelves :p

While you won't get a lot of people for or against this here. But it has ready been suggested on here several times in the past, including once by me. And back then, the devs have done told us that they can't do this right now because they neither have the money or the manpower to add such a thing to the game. But they never told us that it will never added to the game eventually. ;)

• "Megasteph;14730439" wrote:
    I think a height slider with a limit for how tall or how short a sim can be wouldnt break the game and be a welcome feature.

@Megasteph yeah true the highest for male and female sims should be 6ft 10in and the lowest for male and females should be 4ft 3in.

• ^^ yeah, that's a perfect example of how implementing height sliders would be problematic. I remember seeing images from TS3 where people experimented with height sliders and some of the resulting animations were pretty funny..
  • "roman2886;14726880" wrote:
    I always though sims 3 and sims 4 had a height option but it never happened.

• I know there's a gender bias here, but as heels don't affect the height of your sims, by putting them on a female sim it can create the appearance that she's shorter, as women typically are shorter than men which is one of the reasons why some of us wear them in the first place
  • I would love it but as @Apricus said, it would require a complete overhaul of most of the animations in the game.
    (though I still wouldn't mind seeing it.)
    AmaraRena
    Seasoned Rookie
    "ToastyChan;c-14512270" wrote:
    I think it has to do with the animations, because Sims would interact differently with objects depending on their height (maybe that's the reason why teens are the same height as adults who knows? Haha )
    So I think sliders would be really hard to introduce. But maybe we could choose from three preset heights like small medium and tall.

I think this is exactly the issue. But in many other games you can have variable height so it's not impossible. It would just take more work than they are wanting to put in. It would also affect the animations Sims have with other Sims. In games where height is variable you don't have romance interactions that aren't simply part of a cutscene. So THAT would take some fancy coding. Modders often add things like this to other games and where there is a large height disparity between characters you get clipping and general weirdness. Game makers are generally not willing to accept that kind of flaw, probably because they know players would complain about it.