Forum Discussion

7 years ago

What would scare a sim?

What would scare a sim? Would it be fabrications in their own minds, like extrapolating on some imaginary noise at night, or would they need to be scared of actual scary stuff, like hearing real noise under their beds. I think I would get very uncomfortable if they added real scary stuff. And I speak by experience too! I once heard a man laugh in the middle of the night, I heard a knocking on the door when there was nobody there, and I heard footsteps on the second floor in a single sim's household. Needless to say I was perplexed. But it got me to realize that this is not the type of game to add really scary things like hauntings and such.

So, are you a scaredy-cat like me, who would prefer not to go out of their comfort zone?
And if not, what do you think would scare a sim, and you as well.
  • I'd prefer a bit of suspense and trepidation and FEAR in my game.

There's ghosts in this game in case you hadn't noticed. In my rl experience, it can be quite a scary event. Not so in S4. They are annoying and obnoxious at best. They stuck around in the netherworld to break fraking plumbing. I avoid ghosts in this game because of how they wasted them.

I wanted my sim to be scared. There's nothing scary in this game. It needs to be much more so.
  • But the contrast between utopian settings and creepy settings has a very strong impact in games. Think of Elwin Forest and Duskwood in World of Warcraft when you go from peaceful green fields to giant carnivorous spiders and gloomy dark skies. It leaves a strong impression and it would be no different in The Sims. When vampires used to break in and slowly creep thowards you was another good example. That's why I think I might get seriously creeped out from time to time, especially if the occurences never stop for a long period. I'm not sure that's something the developers had in mind when making this game. They could keep it cartoony and lighthearted, like with the ghosts we have now, but that doesn't fit well for some reason.

Anyway, here are some creepy things that would raise my hair...

- You receive a phone call but it's only heavy breathing.
    - A black silhouette suddenly appears at the end of your bed.
    - All the doors in your house open and shut in quick successions.
    - Blood markings appear on walls.
    - The radio opens to a heavy metal station.
    - All your food spoils and have worms crawling all over it.

Things like that makes we wonder if it would not raise the game's rating a little.