Forum Discussion

Ulf-Gunnel
New Spectator
4 years ago

Cottage Living Plant Milk

Hi simmers and developers!

This is primarily for you developers for Cottage Living EP. Thanks for your work with the new expansion, it’s looks amazing, cuteness overload. I’m very excited for it! :)

I’ve watched a lot of early access on youtube and read on this forum about the new pack and one thing that I reacted on was the option to make plant milk. But the plant milk is still made from the cow.

It’s no problem that you have animal products in the game (meat, milk, eggs). The problem is that you don’t present plant milk as a legitimate choice. (You don't need cows to drink milk). Vegans don’t eat anything that comes from animals. It’s about not exploiting animals. There are also an environmental aspect to this. It's not very 2021 that the only source for milk is the cow (even the plant milk...).

Can you please put a real plant milk option (made from plants) in the game? And rename the cow Plant milk?
IRL plant milk can be made from soybeans, peas, oats, rice, potatoes, almonds or other nuts. We already have a few of these plants in the game.

Best regards//
Carpe_diem

Quick Fix solution
1. Rename the Plant milk from cow to Lactose free milk
2. Add plant milk: Re-use the animation from cooking + pouring up animation from canning
Pour it into a milk bottle with label (soybean for soy milk ASO) instead of a canning jar. This can be added to the cooking skill.

Green pea (seasons) – Pea milk
Soybeans (Eco) – Soy milk
Potatoes (BG) – Potato milk
Coconut (?) – Coconut milk
Cow plant – Vegetable cow milk
Rice (we have a couple of rice dishes, how to make these if living of the land?) – Rice milk
Oat (we have oatmeal in the game) - Oat milk

3. Plant milks needs to be added to the grocery delivery service.

4. Lactose free recipes can be made with lactose free milk OR one optional plant milk.

@SimGuruFrost @SimGuruRomeo @SimGuruPopcorn @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruVoid @SimGuruMorgan @GrimSuruDoi
  • @Amapola76 @CelSims @simfriend1968 @Pamtastic72

Don't know how you feel but I’m ok with if they re-use the animation from cooking + pouring up animation from canning, but pour it into a milk bottle with an label (soybeans for soymilk etc) instead of a canning jar. Modders shouldn't need to do this, it's so basic, it need to be in the game (also for console players and us who don't use mods). It also needs to be added to the grocery delivery. Lactose free recipes could be cooked with lactose free milk OR plant milk.

I tasted potato milk this week, it tasted like oat milk, a little more slimy (lol that sound awful, but it was ok haha! :) ).

Why not add soybean to BG because it’s not a big feature in Eco (bought that for full price, had fun with it, I’m completely ok with if they add things from it because that means that they can improve features later on instead of abandon them half done (like Lifestyles, NAPs, etc).

There are a couple of dishes in the game with rice, doesn’t we need rice then to cook these? I mean the big thing with Cottage living is “living of the land”, then we need rice. Rice milk is a thing (and not so slimy lol!).
    (Rice dishes in the game: Tofu & chicken stir fry, sushi, onigiri, sweet & sour pork, curry, etc).

And as mentioned above, if someone of you have twittter, can you please send it out in the twitter universe so it hopefully can get fixed before the game launches (we all know that they're not into fixing things aftewards). It would be very welcome! <3 :) <3 You can share a link to this discussion.

amapola76
    Seasoned Vanguard
    "carpe_diem;c-17930241" wrote:

Don't know how you feel but I’m ok with if they re-use the animation from cooking + pouring up animation from canning, but pour it into a milk bottle with an label (soybeans for soymilk etc) instead of a canning jar. Modders shouldn't need to do this, it's so basic, it need to be in the game (also for console players and us who don't use mods). It also needs to be added to the grocery delivery. Lactose free recipes could be cooked with lactose free milk OR plant milk.

Yes, this is exactly what I think they should do. Add making plant milk as a cooking skill to base game functionality, with base game harvestables (people have suggested potatoes, for example), then program in additional functionality for those who have other packs: use of the fizzy machine if you have EL, soy if you have EL, peas if you have Seasons (I think they came with Seasons, or were they base game, too?), coconuts if you have IL, etc. Plus almonds if they hopefully add them someday. Oooh, here's another thought: you could also make it with cowplant berries, so that sims who don't want to actually grow cowplants could use those for something other than selling them. I personally wouldn't really care what they use for the animations or artwork: canning, herbalism, juice bottles, any of the million art assets for vases and jars that already exist in the game. There are plenty of options.

Edited to add: people talk a lot about recycling animations, recycling objects, etc., but I have to say, I'm not inherently bothered by recycling, if it makes sense and if the results look right. Like, recycling parts of herbalism makes sense for canning, because, yeah, you're basically doing the same things: taking perishable ingredients, heating them up, and creating something new. I would distinguish something like that from recycling toddler bathtub animations for playing in the ocean, which just doesn't really make sense or look right. Basically, I'm results-oriented.
  • "Amapola76;c-17930171" wrote:
    "Pamtastic72;c-17930131" wrote:
    To make soy milk they will have to add soy plants to base game, because soy plants are an Eco Living exclusive item and so soy milk would only be available to people who own both Eco Living and Cottage Living. That’s why they made plant milk come from cows via a special treat. Otherwise they get into the whole dlc for dlc again.

I hate this mindset, it just shuts down so many creative cross pack functionality options. The more packs we own, the more unique interactions we should have between them.

Exactly. If they managed to make a weather power for mermaids that only works if you have seasons, they could have just as easily added some cross pack milk options.
  • @Amapola76 Yeah I agree on the recycling animations point! It's ok if it's makes sense!
    Plant milk would probably be more realistic if they're done with a mixer. But I'm not that picky, cooking it would be absolute ok.
  • LOL, I posted my question months ago. But thank you for the answers. I bought the pack awhile ago, and I think the milk name needs revisiting tbh.

The mighty plant milk is from a cow. It's lactose free, but I think it should be called lactose free and then you should be able to milk a cow plant for mighty plant milk. I'm not vegan, but I'd like for my vegan sims to have the option. Plus, milking a cow plant is amusing.
    susanleona
    Rising Traveler
    Yes, I am surprised to see the plant milk source. In real life I'm allergic to dairy foods so rely on oat milk for coffee and cashew milk for tea and since this is a new allergy for me I miss my cheese and butter, but though not a vegan rely a lot on their food choices though have to watch my carbs as I'm also subject to high blood sugar. Can't wait to try out a Sim who is lactose intolerant!
  • "BlueR0se;c-17930209" wrote:
    "Amapola76;c-17930171" wrote:
    "Pamtastic72;c-17930131" wrote:
    To make soy milk they will have to add soy plants to base game, because soy plants are an Eco Living exclusive item and so soy milk would only be available to people who own both Eco Living and Cottage Living. That’s why they made plant milk come from cows via a special treat. Otherwise they get into the whole dlc for dlc again.

I hate this mindset, it just shuts down so many creative cross pack functionality options. The more packs we own, the more unique interactions we should have between them.

Yeah, cross content between packs =/= DLC for DLC. EL was made awhile back and these two packs are NOT the same or similar in concept. Meanwhile, Pets and MFP was very much similar in content and very, very likely MFP was made partially from leftover assets of Pets or ones cut to sell another pack (and released very closely after Pets' release which made it worse).

And I agree the plant milk thing from cows is kind of weird. I understanding wanting cute/quirky things, but this is a case where it would make more sense to go the more realistic route. Can Lactose Intolerant sims even have "Plant Milk" if it's from cows?

Well, the cow here is basically treated like the fizzy machine. Instead of adding ingredients to a machine to get flavoured milk, you add them to the cow. I would love to be able to milk the cow plant everyday for plant milk though.
  • > @Felicity said:
    > Serious question: is the milk called plant-based or is it called lactose-free? Because it seems counter intuitive to have a new lactose-intolerant trait without lactose-free milk.

My Sim is at the Shop Stand right now and in the list of "Buy Grocery Shop Items....". It's called, "Mighty Plant Milk" and the description under it says, "Perfect for Lactose Intolerant Sims".
  • "Felicity;c-17930117" wrote:
    Serious question: is the milk called plant-based or is it called lactose-free? Because it seems counter intuitive to have a new lactose-intolerant trait without lactose-free milk.

sure I seen some sort of lactose-free milk from one of the stores, the flower shop one seems to sell mixed items of produce, feeds and milks to oddly

edit
    lactose-free jam to