Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Disability feature: The Why’s & Why Not’s, and if so, How?

So having just come back from seeing a YouTube video based on sim guru grants twitter reply to a question about the idea of sims having a disability in game, I wanted to know what YOU, The simmers, had to say this subject.

Also, if they were to add such a feature to the game, what would you want to see? Or not want to, if There were options.

How would your sims live and what would the feature entail?

How would family and friends be around that sim?

Would the disabilities be mental? physical? Both?

Would there be a toggle option?

Should certain disabilities, as in real life, greatly affect how they go along their day to day?

Should, like in real life, there be machines and objects constructable to make that sim or those sims, able to go further?

If you want this feature, what would you WANT to see and WHY do you want it?

If you don’t want this feature, WHY and WHAT about it makes you uncomfortable?

Let’s keep this civil and nice, every simmers thoughts and ideas are respected, all I ask is that we keep in tune with each other and avoid arguments, if you don’t like this thread, you can easily walk away and rid yourself of the upsetting content, there’s no need to attack other gamers.

On the topic personal wants for the game, this subject is interesting and personally, a want, I like my game to be as real as possible so obviously the idea of a sim or sims appearing with physical, mental or perhaps simply internal or external differences are a must, also I myself suffer with an ever present arm injury as well as anxiety and PTSD, so as to watch a sim version of myself or even watch a sim like myself, in a similar condition or mindset, is somewhat comforting, or would be, as I am still accepting myself in my circumstance, I would like to see how a sim goes about this as well, th struggles, ups and downs, self acceptance and perseverance or simply lack of will to continue on because they themselves feel so downtrodden and unwell they experience the urge to lay in bed all day and heal that way.

When I saw these tweets and answers and YouTube videos a little lightbulb went off in my head, as much as I’m excited for university life or the upcoming gamepacks consisting of what have you, the idea of disabilities and having my sims be even more real than they have been the last four years brings me more joy and relief than seasons, pets and whatever else is planned for the future as again, it brings forth a realism that is hard to accept but also very grounding.

Maybe that’s not for you, but for me, it’s a feature I feel the sims needs, but that’s just my feeling.

So I leave you to comment, again, please respect each other and myself, everyone here is listened to and if anything upsets or unsettles you, the exit is that way and there are cookies on the table, take as many as you’d like.

Have a good day and happy simming ❤️