Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Do I have to own a pet clinic?

Don’t get me wrong, the pet clinics sound fun. (They sound a lot (and I mean a lot) like restaurants though, but that’s a topic for a different conversation.)
However, after reading the blog and watching the trailer, I was left a little confused. Do we have to buy a pet clinic to be a veterinarian? Can’t we just be a veterinarian without owning a clinic? My sims are not all rich. They can’t afford extra $20000+
  • Has it been confirmed you can only hire sims from the house hold?
    I take it if you can hire sims to be vets and if playing rotationally when you rotate to one of the hired vets they won't be a vet when you play them? If that makes sense.
  • "SilentKitty;c-16106885" wrote:
    I play rotational and I look forward to playing a vet.

Have to see how I want it to work in my save but I see different ways of incorporating learning to become a vet into my game.

- I will probably start with one sim who is destined to run a large clinic, my other sims in rotation can transfer over to that household when they are going to work. Then I can choose when they work and don't have have a set time.
    - One sim will probably run a shelter and slowly raise the vet-skill by taking care of the pets at home. No surgery however.

For me this is a sandbox-career in the way that I can tailor it to work in different ways. I am so happy about this change. Having fun while playing the detective-career but I personally will be able to have much more flexibility with this. Now I can have a couple of played sims that fell in love at work while I played them.

Wish that Dine Out worked this way too but I am happy for the vet being improved after feedback.

I like your ideas.
  • I'm just going to pretend that they're working for half of the day and give them money when I decide it's time to finish their work as a veterinarian.
  • "Netzspannung;c-16107346" wrote:
    Not sure how vets work in other countries, but before my last move my cats had vets that owned their practice. One of them even did all the work herself and the other one had an assistant. Now I take my cat to a clinic because it is more convenient, but a vet owning their own little practice does not seem unusual to me.

I worked at a vet clinic where the doctor owned the clinic - in fact it was a converted dairy barn that was on her property.

This was in a small town where (nearly) everyone knew everyone on a first name basis (bear in mind that this was about 20 yrs ago). There was only two vet clinics in the whole town, and we had three DVM's (technically, we had two for the longest time before we got the third doctor) at our clinic. I dunno how many doctors were at the other clinic. I do remember our clinic having to be expanded (as our town grew) at least twice, before I moved away.
  • > @Dannydanbo said:
    > PrincessVee wrote: »
    >
    > Don’t get me wrong, the pet clinics sound fun. (They sound a lot (and I mean a lot) like restaurants though, but that’s a topic for a different conversation.)
    > However, after reading the blog and watching the trailer, I was left a little confused. Do we have to buy a pet clinic to be a veterinarian? Can’t we just be a veterinarian without owning a clinic? My sims are not all rich. They can’t afford extra $20000+
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Why would you just want to work in the clinic and not be the vet? What would you do, mop up the pet pee? If it were possible to just be an employee, you'd still probably be doing the same stuff anyway.

Here's the thing. I do not enjoy owning a restaurant, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say I probably won't enjoy owning a clinic (but I will try it). It takes a lot of time and its just doesn't interest me. I wish they would have made the Veterinarian career like they did the careers in Get to Work and then gave people the option to own their own clinic if they desire. Now that being said, just because I want it doesn't mean its going to happen, LOL, and I am excited to have pets who control themselves. Hurry up Nov. 10th.
  • I'm not complaining because I should have researched Dogs and Cats more before I shelled out the money for it. I was so excited for it to come onto the market and now, having bought it this morning, I am so very disappointed. I thought that being a Veterinarian was going to be a career like being a Doctor or Detective. I was so looking forward to sending my sim to work at the vet clinic. Now, I find out that there is no Veterinarian career. I know that this is what alot of people wanted so I'm not complaining because things can't always go the way you want them to. Just very disappointed and not sure I'd have bought the EP had I known how it worked in advance.
  • Why cant you work at a vet clinic, as a teen you can work retail or at a restaurant, but no ages can work at a vet clinic.
  • If you don't mind using cheats, you could use FreeRealEstate to buy the one in Brindleton Bay.