Forum Discussion

thefirsttemplar
Seasoned Traveler
4 years ago

How they should handle clothing in sims 5.

It always bothered me that sims don't buy clothes and even back in sims 2 when they did, everything costs the same.
Also bothers me that all sims just have this endless wardrobe, they all own everything.
And I think it could be very rewarding and show progress if your sim might start out in cheap clothes but can later afford fancy clothes and jewellery.
Also, would be nice if sims would respond to clothing a bit. Something that happens in the Fable games.

So I suggest that each clothing item gets assigned the following things:

-Value.
Rags, cheap, average, nice quality, high quality, extravagant.
Aside from the cost, it would also determine how other sims view the person wearing it. The average sim would judge people wearing rags, it would require a good or other relevant trait to not judge sims for wearing rags. Snobs would not want anything to do with anyone in rags, and would get negative moodlets if wearing anything under nice quality but positive for wearing high quality or extravagant.
On the other hand some traits like frugal would cause sims to think less of anyone who wears extravagant items since it's a waste of money to them.
Also for jewellery it could determine if thieves might want to steal it since now value is assigned.

-Modesty. (only applies to main clothes, not jewellery, shoes or such.)
Naked, skimpy, revealing, modest, prudish.
Sims already respond to streaking so nothing changes there, but now they'll also respond to other levels of modesty. Standard sims don't respond to any modesty rating aside naked, but traits can influence what they themselves prefer to wear or want to see others wearing.
Someone with the prude trait could at most want to wear modest clothing and could react shocked to sims in skimpy clothing and mildly disproving of revealing clothing. On the other hand there could be a trait that causes sims to prefer skimpy or revealing clothes and despise wearing anything prudish.
Both modesty and value rating could also affect job applications. Applying to an office job in skimpy rags would not go well.

-Style.
This would be the style of clothing, and any item can fall under multiple categories. Formal, gothic, sporty, summer, winter, casual, etc.
Traits can cause sims to favour specific styles. And anything labeled summer or winter could be used by any seasons expansion to determine if it makes a sim feel warm or cold depending on weather.

Finally, an outfit would be the sum of it's parts so with some mixing and matching you might get them to overlook your ragged shirt at a job interview because you wear a high quality jacket over it. But of course sims with specific traits would always know and will judge you for wearing a cheap fake ring even if everything else you wear is of extravagant value.
And wearing a low cut top might just cause an outfit to be seen as revealing, while combining it with a very short skirt would make it skimpy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also sims would have to purchase everything. In CAS each sim gets a clothing budget. It should either be possible to use a money cheat in CAS or set a wealth level for your starting sims. But they get to gather a wardrobe here and it costs the same as in clothing stores.
And only what sims have purchased will show up when planning an outfit. Only of that particular sim. But you can easily transfer any item to another sim in your household. Only one exists of what you purchased though, unless you bought the same thing multiple times. So all your sims can't all wear the same shoes that have only been purchased once.

This would certainly serve to give sims actually more to spend their money on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also , I'd like to talk about how outfits are split up.
I'd layer it more, and the layers would be as following:

-Feet.
Socks, shoes.

-lower body.
Underpants, pants, belt.

-Upper body.
undershirt/bra/corset, shirt/blouse, vest, coat.

And other than that there's still accessories like jewellery, glasses, hats, gloves, etc. And of course there are still items that take up both upper and lower body but you can still put a jacket over that or a vest.
Visible underwear could affect the modesty rating of an outfit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laundry is also a thing of course, anything in the laundry could not be worn by a sim. Which might cause sims to wear the same clothes longer and make them smelly. If of course they have washing machines. I do think laundry should stay optional gameplay.

• "StrawberryYogurt;c-17718194" wrote:
    We should shop from stores and be able to layer clothing.

I agree with this! when an action game can do it (red dead redemption 2) why life simulation game cannot?

also again from the same mentioned game, sims 5 should be able to have a feature that make sims hair grow the longer they go without cutting it or shaving it, the wild and longer they become.

Tbh when i was playing ts4 for the first time, it gave me the impression that we could actually able to layer the clothing because of the underwear category in the clothing section but turns out we cant.. i got bamboozled.
  • CC creators have a work around for this...... they create "accessory clothing" like all different styles of shirts and jackets, it's a life saver. I've always felt like coats and jackets should not have a "top" under it, that it should go on top of shirts. I understand some shirts, especially female ones, have flared sleeves or bottoms and would clip thru, but tops like tank tops, t-shirts, etc could layer easily under a coat or jacket.
  • I just miss shopping in stores like in sims 2 it’s weird that sims have all of the clothing... Like what if in sims 5 we get access to all of the clothes but if we want them in a different color we have to buy it.

Also I wish we could fully layer clothes (I wouldn’t always do it but for sexy sims I would put them in a pair of briefs and for the day time would wear shorts/pants that would show them off a bit)

I want to fully layer jewelry (I layer necklaces all the time)

I wish sims themselves cared about fashion like what if in game we could create simple custom tops for them.
  • Ps2 Sims2 did the layered clothing perfectly, I can't believe the pc version is still stuck with the premade jacket-tshirt combos. Layering plus color wheel for everything is all I want. Plus buying more clothes after you exit CAS for the first time instead of changing your style for free would be nice. Same with haircuts. I guess I just really want to pay for more things in sims games lol.
  • Having a clothing shop is really nice too and since most of Sims 4 clothing seems to be of high quality looking or branded they can price it higher in simoleons, I really need simoleons sink since most of the build buy items are cheaps, like priced the high style jacket for 5000 simoleons a piece
  • Oh, I could get behind this. There are so many places where the Sims 4 feels lacking that it almost glares at you when you find something you'd really enjoy that you know you probably won't ever get **cough cough** bunk beds *cough*.
  • It feels so weird being able to create a starter sim with a haute couture dress, giant diamond rings and gold necklaces aso. I would like if you were given some starter clothing to choose from in CAS, but stores in the world would have different options which you could buy, I love how it was in The Urbz: Sims in The City. Also that the clothing affected how you were perceived and who you fit together with, if you were able to get into an event aso. Imagine how much more fun it might be to explore the new CAS items in a new pack if you go into the new world and into a new clothing store to buy it. Makes you feel that you had to earn that fancy dress, not that it was the same value as the hobo outfit and has no difference in how you are perceived.
    Briana2526
    Rising Traveler
    I would want decades clothing from the roaring 20s until now. I would also like Victorian era clothing especially like ballgowns I would also like designer like prada hermes purses. Royalty like crowns for kings and queens and tiaras for princess and I guess small crowns for princes.
  • I agree. It was very exciting to make an effort to buy clothes. Is there no mod with this change? I was able to see blocked CAS items in the community package "The Sims 4: Nifty Knitting Stuff". Would it be possible to block the clothes and have a coat rack or online store where to buy the outfits? I would really enjoy it. I wonder why they haven't done it yet