Forum Discussion

Simmerville
Seasoned Ace
4 years ago

I wish cell phones would not work in Selvadorada

I just learned that cell phones will not work on Sixam.

So, there is already in game code stopping the phone calls.

I feel it quite immerse breaking that my sim receives plenty of phone calls from back home while in the deepest Selvadoradian jungle. It suddenly no longer feels like he is miles from home when family and friends keep contacting him to suggest hanging out together at the coffee shop down the street, etc.

It would be great if phones would not work in Selvadorada, perhaps there could be a phone in the cantina to make calls out - but not in, or phones could be restricted to the cantina hood. I can choose not to phone anyone, but it's way harder to stop others from calling my sim...

PS: I'd like similar restrictions in Sulani as well, but that might be a more modernized community after all, with the possibility of basing their economy on tourism.

PS2: Perhaps we could have a "no phone at secret lots" option? That would cover most off the road lots in Selvadorada and Sylvan Glades etc.
    GrumpyGlowfish
    Seasoned Newcomer
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind doing away with cell phones entirely, or making them optional like in TS2, because those incessant calls and texts annoy me even when my sims are at home, let alone in the deep jungle...

I can think of one possible solution, even if it's not perfect: Do your Selvadorada tourists usually stay in the holiday homes next to the jungle entrance? If yes, how important are power and running water to you in that situation? Because I think (although I'm not entirely sure) that the off-the-grid trait affects the entire neighbourhood while you're on a lot that has it, and most of the jungle is part of that neighbourhood, so that lot trait should protect you from unrealistic calls there at least.
  • I'd hate that. In the real world, you can use a cell phone almost anywhere. There's cell service everywhere, except in remote, little populated pockets of some countries, like some U.S. desert areas and the interior of the DRC. It would make more sense to have no phone use at the edge of Oasis Springs than it would in Sulani or Selvadorada. I suppose you could imagine Selvadorada is *that* interior? But as a place that gets tourists, I wouldn't want the game to assume it for me.
    amapola76
    New Adventurer
    "luthienrising;c-17918769" wrote:
    I'd hate that. In the real world, you can use a cell phone almost anywhere. There's cell service everywhere, except in remote, little populated pockets of some countries, like some U.S. desert areas and the interior of the DRC. It would make more sense to have no phone use at the edge of Oasis Springs than it would in Sulani or Selvadorada. I suppose you could imagine Selvadorada is *that* interior? But as a place that gets tourists, I wouldn't want the game to assume it for me.

Agreed. It would be hard to find too many places in the world that don't have cell phone service these days.

Granted, I would also love to have the option to toggle off cellphones, particularly for historical saves. But it's... not very realistic to think in a current day save, a place like Selvadorada wouldn't have cell service (much less Sulani, lol, imagine questioning whether people in, for comparison, Hawaii, have a "modernized community"... it's borderline offensive). Maybe it would make sense to not have service in the actual jungle/national park/exploration area. But the village, no way. Even in the jungle, I'd at most want it to be an option to have it turned off, not an automatic setting.
  • I was basically thinking of the hidden jungle lots. It feels weird exploring the temple that my sim searched for ever to find, and then a phone call asking if he wants to go to a party... I don't mind the phone calls as much when in the village etc, but well, I would not expect normal phone coverage in the far off jungle. Good for anyone who gets lost in there, though ;)

Thanks fellow who suggested muting the phone. I had forgotten that we can, or I might have known some years ago but then never used it. Will check that out!
  • I wish cell phones would be completely option in any worlds. I wish that they didn't automatically come shipped like it was an appendage attached to your sim. I wish you only had a cell phone if you purchased it. That way only sims who live in a modern era, or those sims you don't want to have a cell phone, wouldn't.
    Moridhus
    New Spectator
    Wow, I didn't know I could mute the phones! I'll have to try that.

I wish you could just mute certain notifications, but not all. My male characters like getting notifications that a baby was born. But we're getting sick and tired of all the "I heard you became friends with ______" and "Congrats on ________ " messages. I keep clicking them so I won't miss anything important, but keep getting those things. They're way too common.

I have a very promiscuous male "100 baby challenge" character that keeps getting messages from babies and toddlers saying things like "Congrats on your new girlfriend (who's not my mommy)" and stuff. It's really weird.

• "Tammors;c-17919165" wrote:
    Wow, I didn't know I could mute the phones! I'll have to try that.

I wish you could just mute certain notifications, but not all. My male characters like getting notifications that a baby was born. But we're getting sick and tired of all the "I heard you became friends with ______" and "Congrats on ________ " messages. I keep clicking them so I won't miss anything important, but keep getting those things. They're way too common.

I have a very promiscuous male "100 baby challenge" character that keeps getting messages from babies and toddlers saying things like "Congrats on your new girlfriend (who's not my mommy)" and stuff. It's really weird.

I agree those congrats messages can be weird.
    Like my Sim Edward got a congrats text from his ex Fiona that she heard he was dating Charice.

I don’t know whether the game randomly selects the sender but yeah that was very odd.