Forum Discussion

Simmerville
Seasoned Ace
3 years ago

I'm building a Royal Estate - (merged with "what kind of rooms are in yours?")

***** two threads merged, so both 1st and 2nd post are openers. Moving on with input and reports from the progress of building the biggest thing I ever did.

Since this thread got a bit messy, here's links to each update with more pictures on my blog:
Part 1 - 1st floor - Royal/Official (1 of 2)
Part 2 - 1st floor - Royal/Official (2 of 2)
Part 3 - 2nd floor - Formal (1 of 2)
Part 4 - 2nd floor - Formal (2 of 2)
Part 5 - 3rd floor - Private (1 of 2)
Part 6 - 3rd floor - Private (2 of 2)
Part 7 - basement - Servants +++

I have many manors and even a palace, but somehow they always lacked the space to add rooms that are not necessary for everyday life and a few parties. Now, building my largest thing, knowing it will happen just this once, I can't come up with enough ideas to fill 3 floors + a basement.

Would be cool to hear about anyone's special rooms. I mean, I know they need a dining room, but special rooms and combinations of specific features/usage would be great. Also other ideas and experiences that might relate to a big building like a royal estate.

Well, I went for 3 floors + basement. This time I decided to place kitchen & servants in the basement, wanting a big kitchen and additional raw kitchen/storage etc would take up to much space on the cost of all those "once in a lifetime" silly rooms that I can actually allow in a royal estate.

I try to class the floors like royal (1st), noble (2nd) and private (3rd). Plus servants (basement).
1st floor is tall height, the other two are mid height (that is my favorite for the finer homes).

1st floor

The MAIN HALL spans both 1st and 2nd floor, with stairs and windows facing south for nice sunlight effects. There are also a couple passage "balconies" on 2nd floor.

Also a CHAPEL spans both 1st and 2nd floors. It's meant for big family events like weddings and funerals. Might also be used for charity events, who knows.

And there is of course the THRONE ROOM which is huuuuge although on 1st floor only. I might reduce it a bit as it will only be used for coronations and the very big gala dinners (which won't be that easy to play with a household of 8, anyway ;)

This is all I got for 1st floor, but there is plenty more space. There is a WIDE CORRIDOR where I intend hanging old paintings, as in their most valuable gallery. And there is a section where I plan the Monarch's office, but it could be include much more. I have no idea what I might be missing here, as I never focused on royals in the past (despite actually living in a RL kingdom :) )

2nd floor

By tagging this floor "noble" I mean it is good for the smaller parties, meetings, with several DINING ROOMS (color themed?), SALOONS and BARS etc. Perhaps some extra STUDY and a LIBRARY, but I need some ideas to make them stand out from what I normally build.

There could be a SUITE on this floor intended for either stately guests or elders of the House who might hate walking all those stairs from 3rd floor, LOL.

3rd floor

This floor will be less formal, mainly with 5-6 BEDROOMS/BATHROOMS, and LIVING/DINING sections. I think the royal household will dine up here mostly, but they might also use 2nd floor dining rooms. Anyway, a SMALL KITCHEN could also be good on 3rd floor, for easy cooking on days when the "staff" has some time off.

There is a huge TERRACE on 3rd floor, facing south and with a splendid view. It would be weird using it for parties as it is only accessed from this private floor, but perhaps it can function as the family's favorite outdoor space, including normal activities for all ages.

Basement

I won't pay much attention to the basement, but obviously a KITCHEN and simple bedroom facilities for live-in servants. I assume there will be just 2 live-in servants, but it might depend on the size of the royal family. I normally have a butler and a cook, but for this estate I think there could also be a "estate superintendant"/chief of staff. I was also thinking of a Maid, but it will take up too many of those 8 slots.

Basement will also have space for STORING old heirlooms when not on display, I imagine there might be some adjustments in certain rooms when it comes to items exhibited in monters etc.

NECTAR CELLAR including the nectar making machine, and of course some dark "MAZA CORRIDOR" leading nowhere.

Oh - and a CRYPT for family graves, although those graves might have enough room in the chapel.

I assume all of these mentioned, will take half the available space, so I really need to come up with more ideas... It's a project that will take a while, so I thought a thread like this might gather some input over time, no hurry :) I'll need several days only to plan the corridors and where say the butler shall walk. Servants obviously don't use the same routing as the royals.