Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Kids not in school

Would it make sense that during the Middle of a weekday, if you invite kids to come to your place or travel with you, there should be a message that they are in School now?
  • It bugs me that if you rotate to another family during the day, no one is at school or work. Really ruins the immersion. That's why I try to rotate very early in the morning.
  • "telemwill;c-18286376" wrote:
    It bugs me that if you rotate to another family during the day, no one is at school or work. Really ruins the immersion. That's why I try to rotate very early in the morning.

This is probably the same under-developed AI that still decides that all household members are more hungry than sleepy if you enter the house at 1AM. The game is very bad at considering the hour when assigning random attributes. So, my guess is that the game never ever thought it would look strange if all kids are socially available during school hours. When entering a house at 4AM I'd like to find most household members asleep. If entering at 10AM I'd like the kids to be at school.

I do some programming myself, and never understood how this can be the slightest difficult...
  • That's because when you're not actively playing a household, they don't go to school, or work. It's a wonder any babies survive because they don't do childcare, either. :open_mouth: I know, it's pretty shocking. I guess the story-progression is only skin deep. My first encounter, where I learned this tidbit first hand, was when I sent my Sim to visit a sibling. They had triplets that were all screaming at the top of their lungs from the bassinets. They needed food and who knows what else. Brianna, being a Mama herself, went upstairs and got them all sorted out again. Never mind that her brother and sister-in-law were present in the house. I was appalled, myself. Guess it really is a good thing they're just little pixels.
  • "GalacticGal;c-18287216" wrote:
    That's because when you're not actively playing a household, they don't go to school, or work. It's a wonder any babies survive because they don't do childcare, either. :open_mouth: I know, it's pretty shocking. I guess the story-progression is only skin deep. My first encounter, where I learned this tidbit first hand, was when I sent my Sim to visit a sibling. They had triplets that were all screaming at the top of their lungs from the bassinets. They needed food and who knows what else. Brianna, being a Mama herself, went upstairs and got them all sorted out again. Never mind that her brother and sister-in-law were present in the house. I was appalled, myself. Guess it really is a good thing they're just little pixels.

I wouldn't dream of all the non played kids actually go to school, the game could just decide to hide them and add the "at school" icon on the interface if I enter their house during school hours. The game manages perfectly well to have a household member grill food in the garden at 3AM, so why would it be any harder hiding a child? :open_mouth:
    LadyGray01
    Seasoned Vanguard
    This is something that really irritates me. In Sims 2, even though time was actually frozen in other households when you weren't in them, if you called during the hours that Sims were supposed to be in work or school, you'd get a voicemail message saying that's where they were. Time moves forward for all households in Sims 4 but it may as well be frozen.
  • The teens that I create are never in school--instead, they're down at the Solar Flare, pounding down beers
  • "Nate_Whiplash1;c-18287389" wrote:
    The teens that I create are never in school--instead, they're down at the Solar Flare, pounding down beers

ROFL Thank you for my Morning Chuckle!