Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Laundry Day - It's been bugging me - why isn't turning on the washer/dryer automatic?

So I've been playing more of TS4 recently, and it reminded me of something that's been bugging me for a while now, and I really hope the Gurus can address it - why do Sims have to be told to start the washer or start the dryer once they fill these machines? Laundry should be like it is in TS3, the Sims should automatically start the machine once they fill it with clothes. It's pretty obnoxious, and really detracts from having the laundry gameplay be seamless and fun when I have to be so micro-managerial regarding whether or not the machines do their work. The wash basin and the clotheslines are supposed to be the part of laundry that I have to manually watch over, not the machines. Can some of the Gurus do something about this?
  • Part of me wonders if it's by design. You can add multiple loads to the washing machine and and I'm guessing the dryer. Whereas the dishwasher will run with even one plate being put inside it. Just my theory. It is annoying though
  • "Bearpal64;c-17430893" wrote:
    Part of me wonders if it's by design. You can add multiple loads to the washing machine and and I'm guessing the dryer. Whereas the dishwasher will run with even one plate being put inside it. Just my theory. It is annoying though

I get this in theory, but it doesn't really make sense. You really shouldn't need to manually add every load - they should operate like plates, you select them to gather laundry, they gather it all, and pop it in and start it.

Stina1701A
    Seasoned Newcomer
    "TheGreatGorlon;c-17430925" wrote:
    "Bearpal64;c-17430893" wrote:
    Part of me wonders if it's by design. You can add multiple loads to the washing machine and and I'm guessing the dryer. Whereas the dishwasher will run with even one plate being put inside it. Just my theory. It is annoying though

I get this in theory, but it doesn't really make sense. You really shouldn't need to manually add every load - they should operate like plates, you select them to gather laundry, they gather it all, and pop it in and start it.

YES! This, absolutely. Like plates! It's nothing more annoying than having Sims empty one laundry basket and take it to the machines. Go again to the next laundry basket and take that load to the machine. Then go back to the next...through all the same repetitive motion. Now imagine the house being 3 story high, with several bedrooms and all have a laundry basket! I have a workaround that has worked in one my building; I put all the laundry baskets into the laundry room and they get filled regardless of their location. This way, my Sims don't have to hike all over for the laundry. But being able to gather up all (or at least half if there are a lot of baskets) in one go would be wonderful. I don't mind having to turn the machines on manually IF we get this feature.
  • "Stina1701A;c-17438831" wrote:
    "TheGreatGorlon;c-17430925" wrote:
    "Bearpal64;c-17430893" wrote:

YES! This, absolutely. Like plates! It's nothing more annoying than having Sims empty one laundry basket and take it to the machines. Go again to the next laundry basket and take that load to the machine. Then go back to the next...through all the same repetitive motion. Now imagine the house being 3 story high, with several bedrooms and all have a laundry basket! I have a workaround that has worked in one my building; I put all the laundry baskets into the laundry room and they get filled regardless of their location. This way, my Sims don't have to hike all over for the laundry. But being able to gather up all (or at least half if there are a lot of baskets) in one go would be wonderful. I don't mind having to turn the machines on manually IF we get this feature.

I just put one laundry basket beside the washer dryer and all the laundry goes into it. It's working for a family of 5 sims.
  • I like that it doesn't automatically start washing when clothes are added. I never liked that about the dish washer. My quirk I guess.
  • "MarmaladeJade;c-17439362" wrote:
    I like that it doesn't automatically start washing when clothes are added. I never liked that about the dish washer. My quirk I guess.

Me, too. I have my Sims empty the laundry basket into the washer every day to avoid having it suddenly top up and everyone tossing laundry all over the place. I don't want to wash unless my Sims are going to be home to move it into the dryer, since (as in real life) it gets 'dirty' again if it sits in the washing machine wet too long.

And I agree about the dishwashers. It annoys me to no end when my Sims clear some of the plates but not all, or leave the empty serving dish in the refrigerator. The second load has to be washed in the sink, since the dishwasher is already running.
  • For the same reason sims insist on playing VERY invasive and long animation related to clean clothes. By design, the game trues to waste time and make itself longer.
    At least, that's what it seems to be the case for me.