Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Mermaids a Disappointment, Fear for Realm of Magic

As cool and beautiful as they are, I found that the mermaid occult is a little lacking. Granted I also found the expansion to be nothing but an over priced game pack but I digress. I overall enjoy the pack just find it lacking game play wise especially since mermaids just seem to swim around, call on dolphins, and change the weather. I suppose a power tree similar to vampires would be more fulfilling.

I am super excited for Realm of Magic, I cannot wait to have some witches/wizards in my game (assuming that's a new occult we'll get unless it will be a skill). However, I cannot help but to feel worried since our last occult was so lacking.

I'm sure since this will be a pack focusing on nothing but magical beings it will be more well rounded but how many occult's will we get? Sims 3 Supernatural gave us everything but no occult really felt complete at least not compared to Sims 4 Vampires that polished them up and felt whole.

I am craving information on this pack and would love to know how other Simmers feel! Do you want to see more than one occult or focus on magic? Think this will be similar to the beloved Sims Makin' Magic?

• "mock68;c-17224817" wrote:
    I'm already a bit disappointed with ROM as there is no spiral staircase, my little heart is aching for just one spiral staircase for my unfinished builds.
    I don't like the worlds much as I really liked the sims 3 one, darker and more mysterious with things to collect.
    I'm not into Harry Potter, I have never read a Harry Potter book or watched a Harry Potter film so if ROM is based around that then I won't find it in the slightest bit interesting and will probably only use it for building and creating rather than game play.
    I will try to keep an open mind though until it is released.

Personally, I hope that if we ever do get spiral staircases or ladders or L-shaped or curving staircases that we get them as part of a patch to the basegame. I know in the past they used to add these smaller or special stairs to a pack but I think they would do better as basic build elements where any glitches will be corrected more easily and there can be many more recolours in a variety of styles like there are with the regular staircases and fences. I also hope they fit all wall heights, which would be more likely if they were added to the basegame.

As for the magic in this game, I highly doubt that it will resemble the magic in Harry Potter or in any other franchise or fictional world very closely. Magic in Harry Potter is a complex mixture of a supernatural force which overrides natural law, a class-ridden and hidebound social structure, another ecosystem with its own magical wildlife, creatures and plants, and an alternative form of technology (which is mostly incompatible with actual technology). It would be difficult to replicate in the smaller medium of a game pack.

Any resemblances to Rowling’s world would be largely accidental, too, I bet, given that Rowling relies on so many well-established folkloric elements like redcaps and hinkypunks, boggarts and unicorns, dragons and gnomes, etc.

Plus we’re already aware of differences with Harry Potter that are more than superficial: wands in this pack are optional while in Rowling’s world wandless magic is rare; magic here is not a skill while in Rowling’s world it takes years of schooling and lots of practice, to learn. Magic will not be involved in any wars or battles or long term societal upheaval, either, as in the books. Magical powers in HP are also inexhaustible and are not really depleted by doing complicated or difficult spells — something different has been implied about magic in this pack, where spells can fail leading to inadvertent curses and there is a new magical death type (maybe caused by exhaustion of magical power or magic going awry).

I also really doubt there will be anything resembling the Unforgivable Curses of HP! No murdering people or torturing them into insanity in the Sims.
  • "simfriend1968;c-17187701" wrote:

PlantSims were poorly done, but they were part of a free patch/ challenge. So it is my hope that they could some day be revisited/ revamped, maybe with another free patch or as part of a Farming Expansion pack. To tell the truth, I am the least concerned about them since they are a made up being unique to the Sims franchise.

They’re not, actually. The concept of a plant person isn’t new at all in gaming culture, much less mythology. DnD/Neverwinter has the dryads which are based off of dryads from ancient Greek lore. DnD has had them since before The Sims was a thing. Guild Wars 2, while much younger than The Sims, also has a plant person race called the sylvari. There’s also the floran of Starbound. I can go on but yeah, it’s not unique to The Sims.