Forum Discussion

sclevenger08
Seasoned Newcomer
2 years ago

Moving Sim Files Help - OneDrive

I'm not sure if this is the right place so please direct me if so. I've tried googling and have had a hard time finding the answer.

A few years ago I got a new laptop. I wanted to transfer my save files and what not to the new computer and someone told me to use my OneDrive account. So I took the entire Sims4 folder and put it on my One Drive. Then started my new computer. I was never able to figure out how to get the files off of OneDrive and onto my actual computer. I left it as is but now it's starting to cause alot of issues. My data is full, I can't receive emails etc etc.

Anyways, I try moving the Sims4 folder on my OneDrive to the my PC folders but when I launch the game, it launches as a brand new game. So my Sims is running off OneDrive? I'm assuming because as soon as I drag the files from my PC back to the OneDrive folder and launch the game, there is all my saves. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm typically pretty computer savy but I'm honestly missing something. Can anyone walk me through this?
  • If I'm understanding your post correctly:
    Do you have a Sims 4 folder in your Documents folder? If not, start the game so it can generate one. Then copy the contents from the saves, options, screenshots, and tray folders in your Sims 4 folder from OneDrive. You don’t really need anything else from that folder apart from the ones I mentioned.

• @sclevenger08 I don't use OneDrive, but I believe if OneDrive is enabled on Windows 10 or 11, it will act as the computer's "Documents" folder, if that makes sense. I think it's part of Microsoft's "OneDrive Backup" feature. I believe you need to turn off OneDrive backup and set your computer to use the Documents folder on the computer itself. Also, It sounds like your OneDrive is full. Microsoft only gives you I think 5 GB free. That would also explain why you can't receive any emails. If you use Outlook, it's probably trying to store the new emails in your OneDrive. If that's the case, turning off backup should fix that problem as well.

Question though, When you started the game and it was "fresh" did a new Sims 4 folder appear in OneDrive? As SweetieWright_84 said, It should generate one. If OneDrive backup is on, it should have generated it inside of OneDrive. If it generated inside of your computer's documents folder, then I'm not sure if OneDrive Backup is the problem.

This is similar to another problem a simmer had before, but in that case, they needed to move their documents folder from the 1st hard drive to a 2nd hard drive. You only need to disable OneDrive backup.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/1006475/moving-to-new-computer-with-2-hds-and-need-help#latest

I should mention that before doing any of this, be sure to make a backup copy of your Sims 4 folder before doing any of this in case something goes wrong and it gets deleted. I suggest moving it to somewhere like a flash drive or, if you don't have one, another folder that is on your computer.

Below are the steps I believe you need to follow.
    from the above thread:

To Disable OneDrive backup:
    Step 1: Open the OneDrive program on your computer
    Step 2: Right click on the cloud icon in the bottom right corner of the screen (near the clock)
    Step 3: Click the gear icon in the menu that opens, and click "settings"
    Step 4: Click "Manage Backup" in the window that opens
    Step 5: Turn off backup for "Documents"

I'm pretty computer savvy myself, but OneDrive is something that I'm not entirely certain about, since I don't use it. Since you said that moving the folder back to onedrive shows your saves, I'm assuming as well that this is what's happening. I can't know for certain, though.
  • Hmm... that's very odd. You said that when you move your sims 4 folder to the onedrive documents folder, the saves show up in game, but it's not populating another one when you remove it? The documents folder on your computer should be under

This PC > C > Users > Your username > Documents.

If it's not there, then there isn't one.

I've done some reading this morning about this issue, and this article on Microsofts website tells how to disable this. However, I was reading on Microsofts forums and another user was having a problem with their sims 4 and onedrive and they said they lost their files and ended up having to reset their computer. So I would backup everything on the computer, and in OneDrive to somewhere else like a external hard drive just in case something happens.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/office/back-up-your-folders-with-onedrive-d61a7930-a6fb-4b95-b28a-6552e77c3057
  • @sclevenger08 Also wanted to mention, that if you end up having to reset your computer, be sure to uncheck all the onedrive options when you set it up. You can still access your onedrive from the onedrive website. I hope you're able to get this fixed. If you don't have any place to backup your files, I'm not sure what to do. It's a bit worrying knowing it's a possibility to lose all of your computer/onedrive files if something goes wrong or this doesn't work properly.
    sclevenger08
    Seasoned Newcomer
    @MrPlumbob So I ended up completely uninstalling OneDrive(after pulling my files to a backup drive) AND I uninstalled the Sims and just reinstalled everything. I found my documents folder but it was completely empty and wouldn't populate anything, even after uninstalling OneDrive. After I reinstalled the Sims, my documents still wouldn't populate so I ended up just creating a random save and then going back out of the game and FINALLY, I had a documents folder and was able to transfer my files.

Thank you!!!
  • @sclevenger08 You're welcome! Glad I could help and glad everything worked out.
    sclevenger08
    Seasoned Newcomer
    @MrPlumbob So I think I understand the problem a bit now. I can't find my computers document folder anywhere. When I launch the game after I've moved my Sims4 folder from One Drive it doesn't populate another folder in the OneDrive documents folder but I have no idea where it's populating at.
  • Check to see, when you right click on the folder if you have the option to 'always keep on this device'. It's an option for EA Games in Documents.

I got so tired of OneDrive deleting my older files that I've right clicked the whole Documents folder!

I only sync. what's needed, just in case, new computer, mobile phone etc.

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.33,045 PostsLatest Activity: 29 minutes ago