Forum Discussion

coloncocon
Seasoned Vanguard
17 days ago

NPC role assign rule with/without EP06 "Get Famous"

This is the information I first found while trying "Get Famous EP" during the Free Trial weeks. As I didn't have this EP before, I noticed a big different thing when I had Get Famous.

If the game has Get Famous EP, new NPC roles will usually be chosen from existing sims. However, when you don't have Get Famous EP, it isn't chosen from existing sims (in most cases).

Note: This screenshot compilation is made today for this discussion, not during Free Trail time.

I tested this many times and tried without mods, and it's the same result.

You can notice this when there are Early Access clips of new EP without Get Famous. The general NPC roles in public venues are random sims. But when they have Get Famous, they can be existing Sims, mostly will be Premade Sims when starting the new game.

For me who want to manage every Sims in my main save... this is the reason I disable EP06 in my main save. I don't like to see Premades randomly assigned in unrelated roles! And I still have the original reason; I don't like the "fame" feature personally. 

I think each choice have pros and cons depend on your choice of playing style.

Having Get Famous
Pros
- Less randomly (mostly ugly) townies generated.
- Fewer total population because using existing instead of creating new.
Cons 
- Uncontrollable (and unwanted) role assigning.
- Not only service roles, other roles such as university students also use this rule.

Don't have / Disable Get Famous
Pros
- Don't worry about seeing premade in unrelated roles as my example screenshot.
- Have a chance to design unique NPCs for your world.
Cons 
- Many randomly (mostly ugly) townies waiting you to edit (or delete)
- You will face another issue "most new Sims are from same limited worlds" even more. (Not "Get Famous" related)

My playstyle is "having my own design Sims being in the roles without having to delete Premades." However, this is just for my playing style. I share this observing for people who may not know about these differences because most people might have Get Famous.

I will add more information related to this system if I have something new.

atreya33
    Seasoned Veteran

I had no idea that get famous made such a difference in assigning jobs to NPC. Personally I don't mind this. I like seeing the sims in the world every now and then. But it would be better if we could choose in the options if we want to spawn new sims, use unplayed sims or all sims. Let simmers decide themselves if they want this or not. 

coloncocon
      Seasoned Vanguard

Yes, it would be best if we could choose. This kind of topic has been said for a long time. If I can choose my choice by game setting, I will be able to activate every pack without being paranoid.

There are many more details about role assigning but it would be too long. For Get Famous, I think it is like that because there are many new NPC roles which would increase the population too much if use newly generated townies only. For example, GF-specific roles such as paparazzi will always be newly generated townies.

However, sometimes I want to play Get Famous features as well. I may make another save file to play with it. (So, I can meet notable premade like Judith Ward, etc.)

EgonVM
    Seasoned Ace

That is interesting...

One thing about those roles you brought out (Gym Trainer and Bartender) is that these roles should prefer using sims that live in the same world or are evicted from there. They somewhat still prefer, as when I made some sims to be Tomarang and Chestnut Ridge locals, they were chosen as bartenders fine. Yet the other worlds still had a chance of recruiting them as a bartender. So yeah...

So Get Famous breaks that filter term then, having the game recruit sims that are not "living" in that world... Interesting... Both of the sims brought out in the example are unemployed (they do not need a career to appear in their original role), so simply giving sims a job should prevent them from randomly becoming a bartender.

Theory why it might break the filter term? Hmm... Both Gym Trainer and Bartender roles exclude famous sims (at least 1 fame level and they're out). Yet the template making them does not guarantee that new sims generated have exactly 0 fame points. Yet at the same time, I don't see more famous sims generated...
    The only theory I can suggest here is that the game creates a sim with some fame points (but not enough for the 1 rank), gets excluded from the filter, and a pre-made sim without any fame levels is chosen. While I doubt that is the case, the reason must be hidden within the fame system...

coloncocon
      Seasoned Vanguard

About the world locals concept, it's another big thing that I plan to discuss in your thread as well. But for this part, only some worlds prefer choosing (or making) sims from the same world. Tomarang and Chestnut Ridge are examples of them. Other worlds aren't strict in that rule even without Get Famous.

The most priority factor about generating townies from my experience is "creating locals of the world which has strict local limits first". We can see many Japanese because both San Myshuno and Mt.Komorebi use it.

Back to the NPC roles, you said right that sims who already have a job should avoid being added new NPC roles. I think about giving high school teachers to get education job. But some sims shouldn't be touched.

For your information about fame points, I saw you write about this as criteria for role assigning. It may be another factor too. Or Get Famous gives a whole new rule about role-giving. I can't do mod or using program to see game code, I can only observe from my playing.

I currently disable Get Famous, so my knowledge is based on "all packs except EP06". But I sometimes enable it to test some mods.

I also found that some mods that work about townies and assigning roles can't work properly (or work differently) without "Get Famous" (such as Bienchen's townieoverhaul_lessfame). It would be something about the code that is included in this pack.

coloncocon
    Seasoned Vanguard

If you hate to see many random townies and don't mind seeing Premade sims including EA Sims being vendors, having "Get Famous" can help reduce the newly generated townies significantly.

Fortunately, if some Premade Sims have the job, they won't be forced to get the role. For example, Agnes Crumplebottom already has a career as a Garden Shop Owner, she survives from being a vendor anyway. (But high school teacher isn't an official career, Rita has to find her real job. lol)