Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Painting from Reference - need tips

I'm trying to paint from reference and I am having trouble making my Sims pose and capturing the image - any tips?
  • While I was browsing around the Gallery on the XBox One version, I discovered some paintings of movie posters such as Speed, Braveheart, Jaws, etc. Credit to #Babewire & #PhoenixRaven for posting these amazing film poster paintings. I gotta say, I'm impressed that they actually got my favourite movie from '94 from reference.
  • If you have Moschino Stuff you can use the pose marker even on visiting Sims or hire someone to pose. At least they won't walk away. I tried to have my sim hold their toddler then selected pose but they always put the toddler down first. So I put the toddler in a high chair and placed the pose maker behind the high chair. Then had the dad pose. It worked.

I have also used the pose makers to take large photos. Hung the best one on on the wall and did paint from reference. Just zoom in on the photo so you can't see the edges. You can do panoramic painting this way also. Take photo and move just a little right and take another picture and so on. I usually do 3 large photos of a view I like. Then do a paint from reference of each large photo. Now you have 3 paintings to hang next to each other. Some of the views in the game are really amazing at certain times of day.
  • I put a couch or chess table near the easel, that helped. I've also engaged the target in conversation while painting, that helped too. I get some super cute images of spouses and friends this way. The flirty ones are hilarious.
  • "Laceyrose;c-16926729" wrote:
    If you have the " Get Famous " pack... you can have your sim's ' pose '.. this works pretty good .. but does not help with the grainy look for the painting. Also having them ' pose ' when taking a picture with the camera is pretty good also.

I didn't know you could get them to pose. Cool!
    Yeah, the bad jpeg graininess is a shame.
  • i have get famous, how do i get them to pose?

You can make them stand on the moschino xs but without the camera they don't pose there, might get them to the correct spot anyways.
  • I have a Sim who maxed his painting skill, who my other sims pays to have their picture painted. I temporarilly include him in the household, put the sim who is about to be painted in the nicest chsir I can find and presto

Five Brindies
  • If you want to affect what direction the model looks, you can use the "financial text board wall object". I use it sometimes when I record my videos and want to focus the sim's eyes to look into the camera instead of them looking all over the place. I think it came with the base game, but might be from GTW. Might be wall lamp or wall decor. The good thing is the sim can watch it while seated. Maybe a TV would do more or less the same.
  • This is the most recent and most relavent thread I could find, but I'm also looking for tips when painting from reference.

For one of my families, I wanted to capture certain moments with different family memebers in different life stages. I made a picture of my first toddler during story time and that turned out to be a masterpiece quality work, and the other masterpiece quality work came from my twin toddlers becoming good friends and hugging. I also have things I would consider beach moments, building a sand castle and playing in the kiddie pool, too. I wanted to paint more beyond that, but I can't seem to think of anything for the child age and up. It seems like they do stuff that would be typical for all age groups.

Specifically, I want to capture moments that are more unique with more unique animations for that age group. I want to capture family moments. I also need help with timing the shots because it can take a long time to time the right shot. I figure I won't do this for every household, but I wanted something to capture the memories and post them on the wall. For the toddler pictures, I was more likely to pause the game on something I wanted to capture instead of capturing it.

If anyone has any suggestions for moments to capture in different life stages, I would appreciate it. If not, I might stick to infant and toddler pictures that can act as a substitute for birth certificates. I have the pacts, but I wanted something different since the house is very family oriented. It just made sense to focus on the moments more.

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.

33,103 PostsLatest Activity: 2 hours ago