Forum Discussion

Beardedgeek72
New Spectator
4 years ago

Random amusing observation(s) regarding Cottage Living

Well... as I stated elsewhere the difference between having Seasons installed or not really impacts the world. As in if your Sim hates rain, she is... SOL.

Also, speaking weather / climate: I find it a little amusing that the every day outfits and the cold weather outfits are 90% the same gear. Also seems "realistic" when as an outsider (I am Swedish) compare my pre-consieved notions about Britain with this pack :smiley:
One of the Cold Weather outfits (the padded vest one) even has rolled up sleeves. And Wellies, of course. Over here you would have to have like 3 layers of socks in those to not literally lose your toes in winter.

Not to be too mean about it but I always get a giggle when some home renovation show *Cough* Grand Designs *Cough* goes on and on about the new house having three glass windows as if it was an innovation from last year or something. :wink:
I guess "Twelve degrees and raining" is typical Xmas Day and Midsummer's Eve weather.

Other than that... at least two of the women's hair styles really scream "English Soap Opera" to me.

Again, I am not making fun of people from Britain, I am fully aware that we are all weird to others. That's the point of being human after all :smiley:
  • "crocobaura;c-17989355" wrote:
    "Sindocat;c-17989346" wrote:
    Those stone cottages are about 700 years old, so yes. Modernizing a Cotswold cottage is a challenge, even when it isn't a listed historic structure.

I heard they have very low ceilings as people weren't that tall 700 years ago. In my country when people get married we usually wish them a "stone house" as a sign of long and durable relationship. Most traditional houses around here are made of wood and clay, they are durable, but not as durable as stone. Not many people preserve them as they don't know how to upkeep them, hence most houses are rather new builds.

My parents cottage was built in the 1890s, and it not high enough inside so you can have ceiling lamps anywhere but over tables. I think it's about 2.1 which is way lower than a modern house or apartment (not to mention in apartments of the same era were very high ceilings instead, often over 3.5 meters to fit big windows).
  • "haneul;c-17989424" wrote:
    "Beardedgeek;c-17989423" wrote:
    "haneul;c-17989419" wrote:
    "logion;c-17989405" wrote:
    Yeah, I'm from Sweden myself so I sometimes wonder if Maxis are aware how a lot of the cold outfits in the game would not protect them very well against the cold. You can still look good and wear good clothing against the cold...

No radiators in the game (except that old looking one from Vampires) baffles me as well, I remember building an apartment recently and I reacted on how weird it looked with no radiators around. Especially in rooms with windows.

Are radiators common in newer buildings, though? I've only ever seen the vampire-style one and only in older buildings.

In my real life, I prefer heated floors to all other heating systems.

Over here yeah. Every window has a radiator under it. Water based heat from a central heating plant in town. Floor-based heat is nice, but basically only available if you build your own house. Never in apartments.

Interesting. I'm in an apartment and I have floor-based heating and also central air-ish heating.

I think heated floors only work with heat conducive flooring like tiles. If you prefer wood flooring, you need other type of heating. Also it depends on when the building was built, 30 or so years ago floor heating wasn't that common.
    Haneul33
    Seasoned Adventurer
    "crocobaura;c-17989434" wrote:
    "haneul;c-17989424" wrote:
    "Beardedgeek;c-17989423" wrote:
    "haneul;c-17989419" wrote:
    "logion;c-17989405" wrote:
    Yeah, I'm from Sweden myself so I sometimes wonder if Maxis are aware how a lot of the cold outfits in the game would not protect them very well against the cold. You can still look good and wear good clothing against the cold...

No radiators in the game (except that old looking one from Vampires) baffles me as well, I remember building an apartment recently and I reacted on how weird it looked with no radiators around. Especially in rooms with windows.

Are radiators common in newer buildings, though? I've only ever seen the vampire-style one and only in older buildings.

In my real life, I prefer heated floors to all other heating systems.

Over here yeah. Every window has a radiator under it. Water based heat from a central heating plant in town. Floor-based heat is nice, but basically only available if you build your own house. Never in apartments.

Interesting. I'm in an apartment and I have floor-based heating and also central air-ish heating.

I think heated floors only work with heat conducive flooring like tiles. If you prefer wood flooring, you need other type of heating. Also it depends on when the building was built, 30 or so years ago floor heating wasn't that common.

@crocobaura It can be done with hardwood floors fine. I don't have tiles. I think a lot of these differences are just regional. It's interesting to see what people consider normal to have in homes/apartments - like me not having even seen a radiator in newer apartments and not knowing that was a thing. In game design, I imagine it's hard to capture the nuances of homes you aren't familiar with...
  • Btw I am getting too rich again despite all my efforts not to. Turns out that having the Collector trait... The Creature Keeper or the Flower Bunny gave me a Bird of Paradise and a Deathflower as a reward. Meaning every harvest I get over 3000 Simolions just from selling thru the inventory. I'm just going to uproot the Bird of paradise (keep the deathflower if I need to resurrect someone) and plant begonias instead.

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.33,079 PostsLatest Activity: 8 minutes ago