Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Retail Rework Idea

So it seems like everyone is in the mindset that retail needs a rework. Here are my ideas.

Set Up
Atm building a retail lot isn't easy as you have to have a household actually own it so you can go and have a sim tag stuff for sale. My thinking is that just like how restaurants have the that "option" tab in build mode that let's you edit employee uniforms there would be an added feature that let's you toggle items for sell. Think of it like a dropper tool and you just click the item you want have for sale and it gets highlighted. This way when in build mode you can always see what is for sale and what isn't. In live mode at the register or in the retail ui there would also be a toggle so you can see what items are for sale and what isn't. This will make knowing what is/isn't for sell much easier to identify.

Register changes
Customers should have to go to the register to be rung up by default. Having the tablet ring up should be a perk.

Actual employee positions.
Cashier - This sim will stay at the register to ring customers up.
Sales Associate - This sim job is to "assist" customers, basically they are suppose to talk to them and try to encourage a purchase, and restock items.

Rating system
Just like restaurants and vets, retails should have a rating system based on how clean/styled the store is, how polite /helpful your workers/you were and how fast it was for them to get rung up.
Secret Shoppers - just like the food critic in Dine Out you may be visited by a secret shopper who's experience at your store can have a big impact on your store rating.

Lot traits
One of the things that is advertised in GTW is owning a bakery but it is currently impossible to run an actually bakery since have to take time to browse and and when they make a purchase they just leave they don't hang back and try the treat they bought. I think lots traits could help.
Bakery - This trait is make customers make purchase quick and fast and they sometimes will stay after a purchase to eat the food they just bought. This work for all food items so you can make an ice cream parlor or any other kind of food shop. This lot trait's effect only applies to food items set for sale.
Knickknacks - This lot trait makes low value items more appealing to shoppers. My thinking is that running a shop that sells collectibles or low value craftables can be hard since some aren't worth a lot and it can sometimes take too long to make a sell that you end up not making much or any money. This trait only effects items up to a defined value. My thinking is a $200 value limit.

Clothing shop overhaul
Mannequins are fine but it would be nice if you could set individual pieces. So I think more mannequins/displays for individual pieces would be great especially so you can make shops like shoe stores, and jewelry stores. This would also allow players with Nifty Knitting to display knitted pieces without having to place them on a full mannequin.
Lastly I personally hate how once sims buy an outfit it get's added to their attire options so I'd much prefer if they only wore what they bought out and that was it.

If you have any ideas of your own feel free to share. The purpose of this thread is to give the gurus a look at what we'd like to see done with retail.
    elliebreton
    Seasoned Veteran
    Employee positions, I'd also like restocking.

I wish it was the same as ts2 with those three things - restocking, cashier and sales. And they got bronze, silver and gold badges as their skill got better. So the noob cashier used to be so slow and sometimes the till drawer would stick etc, then they got better and faster with more practice.
  • Great ideas! I agree 100%. Shopping baskets and/or paper bags would also be very welcome. It would be best if you could choose a custom shopping bag for the venue in the tab where choose your uniforms.
  • From what I've noticed, the cashiers don't do much when assigned, I still need to get my sim to ring up the customers or else they leave without buying anything. I usually hire one employee and assign them to re-stock, while my active sim will do the sales and ring up customers.
    I don't want a rating system for shops as we don't really have that. I would like that shopper sims stick to shopping while on the lot. It's annoying how they decide to talk and then everyone joins in and chats and no one actually shops. I would like clothes to be restricted to household members and add to their choices by shopping. I think mannequins are fine if you want to display clothes or maybe play a designer sim that sells designed outfits, but for every thing else, sims should buy their clothes individually. For the bakery I would have liked bread to be presented in baskets or bakery shelves, it looks like cake when presented on a plate in the fridge. I think we need some kind of shelves or baskets to store bread for sale. Would be good to be able to sell individual servings for immediate consumption, but I am fine with setting up restaurant type places. Sometimes I place plates of food in the displays that aren't marked for sale, so hungry sims will occasionally sit to eat them. But would be good to have a fast food restaurant option, where you don't get a waiter and a host, just a cashier and a cleaner. For shopping I would also like some display shelves that can store more than 1-3 items for sale, and some baskets, crates, boxes that can store small items like fruit, vegetables, flowers, crystals, etc. so they can be sold in bulk.