Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Smarten up TS4

The Sims 4 has boasted about having smarter sims with wacky stories. So far, the stories are lack luster because of limited game play options and the sims are as smart as rocks.
Here's just 1 example that recently happen to me in game.
How is it that in a 3 person (Sims A, B &C) conversation, sim A asks sim B about his career and only sim A knows and sim C still hasn't a clue. Even thou in the box above it shows all sims are involved in the convo.
There are so many missed opportunities in this game it drives me mad.
Why are mischievous sims with criminal careers not the ones in the jail cells in the police station? Instead the game spawns more townies I have to delete.
I could go on and on but I wonder what everyone else thinks.

• "drake_mccarty;c-16640673" wrote:
    "Kniga_Sitara;c-16639352" wrote:
    No, no sense. They planned three gameplay. Only one was online! Second story mod and third free mod was not for online. So empty sims are developers intentions. And this is it what I hate... Because is so little hope for change it... I hope that ts5 will be do better.... But I dont believe this simsguru developers...

Three modes: multiplayer, story, and free play. Given the requirement for online with SC it’s a given that all three modes would require a persistent internet connection to even load the game.

But I do agree. The lifeless empty vessels they call Sims are what the developers wanted for this game. If they weren’t they have had adequate time to upgrade them, which they haven’t. I don’t think there will be another PC Sims game after 4, so they should start listening to people and make this one enjoyable before they end the Pc franchise altogether.

@drake_mccarty @Kniga_Sitara The Sims are empty vessels because they decided to try and sort out the most troublesome of the three modes first, multiplayer... They wasted over half of their development time on that alone and finally realised they could never get it working (no big surprise to me or to most of the others who hate the idea of The Sims being online, but a shock to them I'm sure), then they had to quickly tape together what they had, bump up the graphical details and try to code something to justify the long wait and the price tag... Predictably they failed, thus we have The Sims 4

Note: Anyone quoting this, please remove the @ tags so they don't get bombarded with messages, thanks

• So.. TS4 was planned to be online but then developed to be an offline game. Still.. how come now after all these stuff packs & updates can we not have brighter sims, sims that can remember, or even sims who act according to the traits they are given?
    I don't want a Sims 5. I don't trust the franchise enough anymore to get roped into buying endless expansion packs and stuff for a game that can't live up to it's name.
  • Apart from the failing MMO plans, I think another aspect that spoiled Sims 4 for me is the way they - I think - approached the ‘issue’ many players apparently had with ‘robotic’ sims in Sims 3 (quotation marks because for me there is no issue in that respect at all, I prefer my sims a bit more neutral). “They want quirky back, let’s give them quirky!” “They want sims to show emotions, let’s make emotions the core of the game!” “They loved Sims 1 and 2, they don’t care about loading screens or open world!” I think they aimed for the right reasons from their perspective and to meet complaints, but totally missed the bull’s-eye.
  • "SarahsShady;c-16645420" wrote:
    So.. TS4 was planned to be online but then developed to be an offline game. Still.. how come now after all these stuff packs & updates can we not have brighter sims, sims that can remember, or even sims who act according to the traits they are given?
    I don't want a Sims 5. I don't trust the franchise enough anymore to get roped into buying endless expansion packs and stuff for a game that can't live up to it's name.

Because once the game releases the studio makes most of their money by selling DLC. Funding for Sims 4 was also cut which leaves the studio with fewer hands to devote to the core of the game, at least without seriously impacting their DLC production. We’ve seen how the free updates tackle small areas of the game and usually don’t dig very deep at all when implementing core changes.

I also think that the base engine they have to work with is beyond their programming capabilities either because it’s poorly designed and would require a significant overhaul to change and not break, or because they don’t understand how to change it. When they implement new systems like toddlers or pets we see they can in fact make unique AI when it’s made from scratch, but what’s already there seems to be impossible for them to upgrade or even tweak.
  • Sims 4 has very few game-play SYSTEMS game-play Objects is what we get, Ever stopped all those annoying behaviors not controlled sims will just stand there or fined an object you didn't block hehe. The only real Gp system the game has came with GT obliviously :)
    edit meant GT not GTW
    OldeSimsFan
    Seasoned Rookie
    That discussion the link to the old thread gave was most illuminating. It answered a lot of questions and confirmed many of my suspicions, that a log (most?) of the problems we continue to have are a result of the game's online roots and that this version was not intended to be an honest free play game as we had in past versions. One wonders if what we get for TS5 (if we get it) will be the original idea for TS4 as a stand alone.
  • WAS there an original idea for TS4 as a stand-alone? Or were they exclusively developing TS4 as online until told not to?
  • "MeskenasBoii;c-16500685" wrote:
    "Questionable Sims. Frustrating Stories"

This is my favorite quote now and forever <3
  • "Jordan061102;c-16624215" wrote:
    Yeah we need an overhaul on personalities. For the moment sims are the most stupid sims ever created in this Franchise. They don't have memories, no real traits, the game is coded where all the sims react exactly the same way, relation don't have any sense, you can be enemy with someone and just after they'll laugh togheter, and even the emotion system isn't well executed. Since the day we are asking them to smarten up sims, I really hope that quarters without paid content means they'll be focused in this.

I agree with you.
  • "Writin_Reg;c-16623713" wrote:
    "rjssim;c-16623634" wrote:
    After that patch before Seasons, the sims like 90% of the time don't even interact with each other and just stand there in places such as coffee shops and bars. I repaired the game, disabled all mods, and I disables all expansions etc but the problem is still happening even in just base game. I hope they get this fixed.

I actually get the opposite issue - as my sim goes out and I want her to build the relationship with the sim she went with and instead she runs around talking to everybody instead of the one sim I want her to focus on. I mean she's at the disco bar has topped her dance skills - so has the guy I want her to build the relationship with - figures get them dancing and talking and instead of just focusing on him she adds every sim in the club to conversation.

Everytime she goes out she adds 20 new friends - and her relationship with guy in question has barely moved.

My sims charisma is practically filled without even trying to fill it. Shes barely a friend status to her boyfriend. The pink she had in the relationship panel with him from the Romance festival has totally disappeared too.

That sim just talks too much to everyone I don't want her talking to. LOL.

LOL! I wish I could have at least half of that. I did a complete uninstall and re-download of everything and still no luck. Well, at least when I invite a group of friend sims over they all still interact. The problem is the other sims in the background. They just stand/sit there like mindless zombies, lol! It's like come on... talk already!