Forum Discussion

wayyaa
New Novice
10 days ago

Households gone after reinstalling Windows?

Yesterday I reinstalled Windows on my pc and since I wanted to keep my progress and households in sims I thought I could just copy the entire Electronic Arts folder to OneDrive. After the reinstallation I downloaded sims again and replaced the new Electronic Arts folder with the one I had saved in OneDrive, but when I opened sims none of my households were there. I looked in the saves folder and it was also empty. All of my mods are still there so I know that I've got the right folder. I had not saved the households in my library, but I didn't think that was necessary?

I'm guessing that they are gone for good but I just wanted to see if there is anything left I could do or check to get the household back. I'm also wondering if I have to save households in the library to be able to transfer them as files for future reference?

• wayyaa  You didn't need to save your households to the in-game Library.  The saves themselves would be sufficient to preserve your progress, that is if they were present.  The Library would be helpful for preserving households or builds, for example to place them in a different save.

It's worth checking onedrive.com to see whether it contains any saves or other files, either in My Files or the Recycle Bin.  If not, then unfortunately the saves are gone for good.

As for why this happened, it's possible the OneDrive sync was interrupted.  It's also possible you ran out of cloud storage, that is if you haven't paid for extra.  I'm not recommending that (and an external drive is cheaper in the long run anyway), only saying that the 5 GB free can run out quickly.