Forum Discussion

jazzman_87
Seasoned Newcomer
2 days ago

There's a problem with your game's setup W10

Unfortunately I've tried all of the above and it's not worked for me. I am launching through steam and the EA app, could that make a difference? I'm unable to see where I can add -dx9 on the app.

Just as an aside - I've not had this problem until recently, I've played over 700 hours of this game without any problems until now

• jazzman_87  Are you getting exactly this error, or a different one?  If it's different, please type out the text or post a screenshot.

In either case, please please provide a dxdiag.  Hit Windows key-R, enter dxdiag in the run box, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the file to your desktop.  From there, you can attach it to a reply using the camera (Insert Media) icon included with the other formatting buttons.

• jazzman_87  I've split your post into its own thread since you have a Windows 10 computer, not Windows 7 like most people with this error, so the cause is likely different for you.  Your dxdiag lists a few generic Windows errors, so please run a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
    • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
    • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes, and enter
    • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
    • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
    • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
    • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes, and enter
    • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the box to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

If you use a third-party antivirus, please disable it, temporarily of course.  Clear the EA App cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

and repair the game, again if you have already: game library > Sims 4 > Manage > Repair.  Then try to play with the AV still disabled; as long as you don't do anything else at the same time, your computer should be safe.  If this works, set exceptions for TS4_x64 and TS4_Launcher_x64, and EADesktop.exe as well, in your AV.

If this doesn't help, please list the location where you've installed the game, which you can see under Sims 4 > Manage > View properties.  That's also where you'd add the -dx9 command line argument if you're playing through the EA App.  In Steam, it's Properties > General > Launch options.

jazzman_87
      Seasoned Newcomer

I really appreciate all the effort you went to with that answer however even after doing all of that, it still throws up the same error. I don't use a third party antivirus but I still went into Windows security and added exceptions even though I made sure that my steam folder was excluded a while back.
      I then verfied the game files in steam once more and still no luck sadly.

Here's the message I received after the sfc /scannow process:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
      For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
      windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
      repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
      PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

• jazzman_87  Please try doing a clean uninstall of Sims 4 and the EA App.  (Steam is likely fine, and uninstalling it would also uninstall any other Steam games you have.)  Instructions are here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-4-DLC-shows-as-installed-won-t-load-in-game/m-p/12942151#uninstall

To keep things simple, I'd suggest reinstalling through the EA App and leaving Steam out of it for now.  Please do create a new folder, on the root level of your drive, into which you install Sims 4.